Anyone have ffdshow and PGS subtitles working in MKVs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, searched around but found no clear answer so I thought I'd start a thread to confirm.

I noticed that any mkv I have with pgs subtitles crashes when using ffdshow (regular or dxva version) in Windows Media Center. I tried different splitters (Lav, gabest, haali) and it didn't matter. I think its an ffdshow issue but wanted to confirm. I know I could use mpc-hc but I prefer not to for a variety of reasons.

This is on i3-2100t PC's using intel quicksync (tired with and without that enabled) but also tested on a different PC that has an ATI card with the same issue. Is it working for anyone?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It's been working on my HTPC for over 2 years now, but it did require some futzing around.

If I remember correctly, you can't use hardware accelerated ffdshow (unless they've fixed that recently). Use software decoding, and then use directvobsub for the subtitle engine.

Also it helps to only have forced subs in your mkv, for english movies that have occasional foreign dialogue, as I don't think directvobsub can distinguish between forced/unforced subs.

Again my information is somewhat old, since it's been working for a couple years on my HTPC.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks jcruse!

Reading and clarifying a bit further, it seems like people have it working with directvobsub but when using the ffdshow sub renderer pgs do not work. Unfortunately I want to use the ffdshow renderer so I can use the Media Control plugin.

Anyone else able to test to confirm? I think when I can find the time I'll update one of my machines to the latest ffdshow and see if that makes a difference, they're using a build a couple of months old.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I also wanted to use MediaControl, but it was the subtitle issue that forced me to abandon it. Not to mention, it also was crashing my HTPC. So instead of fast-forwarding, I just hit the "next" button, and it forwards 30 seconds at a time. Not ideal, but I got used to it...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

I also wanted to use MediaControl, but it was the subtitle issue that forced me to abandon it. Not to mention, it also was crashing my HTPC. So instead of fast-forwarding, I just hit the "next" button, and it forwards 30 seconds at a time. Not ideal, but I got used to it...

Not sure if you know, but although Albain stopped working on Media Control, another developer (can't remember his name) recently started updating it the last few months and fixed many bugs. I've found the most recent builds to be actually very stable, other than this ffdshow/pgs issue.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page