New mATX HTPC build I'd recommend to others. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you're looking for high end components since I can't add "high end" to the title (added 10/18/12 to appease Assasin).

I've been putting a new HTPC together (I've done quite a few previously) and wanted to recommend to others that might be looking to build one, some components.

I've really liked Lian Li's light aluminium cases and have multiple full ATX cases, but this is the first mATX case and I was really impressed on how light and compact it was. The Lian Li PC-C50B. The only small negative I see is that the 120mm fans don't have the fan filters like the 140mm fans do in their full ATX size cases (PC-C60) but you can order them seperately if you want, you'll need 2 http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Filter-Magnet-Cooling-FF122/dp/B006RD0U54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348187546&sr=8-2&keywords=120mm+fan+filter .
The mATX HTPC case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112303

It comes with a pair of 120mm fans (drawing cool air in), if you want add 120mm fans that have variable speed you can replace them with these ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106133 or these should work well too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209064&Tpk=TrueQuiet%20Pro ), but there's an additional place to add a 80mm fan to push warm air out the back. I added a Thermaltake ISGC 8cm fan with variable dial. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106160
It fit perfectly even with a 80mm fan guard/grill over it.

If you're looking for a high end full featured mATX Intel 1155 motherboard, I ordered the ASRock (Fatal1ty) Z77 Professional-M
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z77%20Professional-M/?cat=Manual
If you're looking for a more budget version, this one is similar and is $45 less. If you buy it with the CPU at Micro Center I think you get an additional $50 off so only $60 with a $190 Intel i5 3570K, but it's only available in store, not online. http://www.microcenter.com/product/387629/Z77_Pro4-M_1155_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

CPU Cooler is a new Scythe SCSMZ-2100 Samurai ZZ Rev. B, I highly recommend this cooler for general HTPC use (and doesn't require you to remove the motherboard to install if you're looking to upgrade). If it's a little tall for your needs (fits fine in the Lian Li case) you can substitute the 92mm x 25mm fan that comes with it, with a Scythe 100mm x 12mm fan. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185071 I pulled the fan that came with the Shuriken Reb. B and it fit with no problem and this one has a 200 to 2,200rpm PWM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185176

The memory is this Corsair that I find the best for all Intel DDR-3 HTPC's, it's 1.35v and low profile (although I would have preferred they were CAS 8 instead of CAS 9 but no big woop).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233199

Power supply I'm going to use is the Cooler Master 850w. I'm trying this hybrid power supply due to the price after rebate which is hard to beat (I've got Thortech, Enermax and Kinqwin power supplies in other computers) and that this is a hybrid that is supposed to have the fan not run at lower than 200watts (but won't be able to use the 5.25" bay control unless I mod. the case), also it's 80 Plus Gold certified. $145 before tax after $30 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171061

Blu-ray burner is a LG.

CPU will be the Intel i5-3570K (with HD 4000 video) and can be had for much less if there's a Micro Center located near you. If you're looking for a SSD, Micro Center also has the 90GB OCZ Vertex 3 for $60! (Or a 128GB Vertex 4 for $90 after $10 MIR?)

If you're looking for a more budget 120mm quiet fan, you might want to check these out at $9. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16985/fan-1052/Silverstone_Air_Penetrator_AP122_120_x_120_x_25mm_Fan_-_SST-AP122.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing I wanted to mention that I thought was odd about the case. 3 USB 3.0 ports, but this doesn't make it so simple to use all 3 without having a USB 3.0 cable coming out the back to use one of the rear external USB 3.0 ports (the other 2 ports use the usual USB 3.0 connector). Unless your motherboard has 2 internal USB 3.0 connectors and one has the adapter that converts that connector into two external USB 3.0 ports.
post #3 of 63 Old 09-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As a basic HTPC, its completely overspecced and overpriced. You never need to spend more than a $100 max on a motherboard for any system unless its a specialized workstation, the case is as usual a Lian-Li rip and why on earth do you need 850w for the PSU? My own HTPC is powered by a 90w adaptor and G530. Even if you were to add streaming and recording into the mix, an i3 would be plenty. This looks more like a gaming build than a HTPC.
post #4 of 63 Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can have a multi-use HTPC, like using for gaming or other uses . The Power Supply is a good deal for $145 you get a Hybrid PS that is fanless when under 200watts (please find another fanless one with similar specs or even close for the same price or less?).
Didn't mention this was a budget basic HTPC (obviously this is for people who can afford to spend a little extra on a high end quality system), but I see you must have read it somewhere above, let me find it and fix it (thanks Tiddles88 with your years of experience and advice here on the forums, oh wait 140 posts, that's decades). Thanks for your input, hope others can take the suggestions and make your own research. Oh, and I mentioned a $60 motherboard substitute, that's more your speed? Oh, and the Lian Li case was $30 off 2 weeks ago, which I'm sure is better than any HTPC case you could have suggested for $130 with free shipping, but take a shot.
post #5 of 63 Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

How would you use your build for gaming? On what? Intel's puny inbuilt GPU? The PSU is overpriced for any HTPC (850w? for what?) and 80+ gold is not needed for most unless you want to show off.. What would the point of this high end quality system? It can't play games at 1080p, it can't record anything with no tuner and you are overspending on pointless frivolities like a Fatality mobo and a Gold PSU.
post #6 of 63 Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where does it say not to install a TV tuner card? Where does it say you can't add a video card? Overpaid for a $145 850watt fanless power supply? The cheapest one at Newegg.com is $120 for a 400watt unit (and the next one is $135 for a 500watt). Are you sure you should be giving advice here?
post #7 of 63 Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

You can have a multi-use HTPC, like using for gaming or other uses . The Power Supply is a good deal for $145 you get a Hybrid PS that is fanless when under 200watts (please find another fanless one with similar specs or even close for the same price or less?)

Didn't mention this was a budget basic HTPC (obviously this is for people who can afford to spend a little extra on a high end quality system)

thanks Tiddles88 with your years of experience and advice here on the forums, oh wait 140 posts, that's decades

Oh, and the Lian Li case was $30 off 2 weeks ago, which I'm sure is better than any HTPC case you could have suggested for $130 with free shipping, but take a shot.
Quote:

Where does it say not to install a TV tuner card?

Where does it say you can't add a video card?

Overpaid for a $145 850watt fanless power supply? The cheapest one at Newegg.com is $120 for a 400watt unit (and the next one is $135 for a 500watt).

Are you sure you should be giving advice here?

The title of this thread is "New mATX HTPC build I'd recommend to others," so most of us assume it is an HTPC build. Yes, you can have a gaming HTPC, and if you were to recommend it to others you might as well call it a "New mATX Gaming HTPC build." However, as soon as you add a decent video card you might as well forget about the "fanless" range of the psu

Some of us might not have been around AVS for decades but we might know a lot more than you seem to think. The fanless below 200 W Cooler Master 850 W PSU is not going to win very many people when you could get a 600 W PCP&C Silencer MKIII for $85. While the MKIII does have a fan, I'd challenge anyone to sit in a living room and determine whether or not it was on. You can hear it with your ear 6-8" away from it, but I've never known anyone to place their HTPC 6-8" away from their ear. I have used Thermaltake, Coolermaster, and Corsair PSUs for their budget value, but when I wanted to focus on quiet it's the MKIII all day.

Did you ever try the stock cooler out before buying the scythe? While I'd recommend the scythe over other aftermarket coolers, I've challenged several people to go and try out the stock cooler first because with the right uefi settings I cannot hear the stock cooler.

Furthermore, I've yet to meet a single person who has a legitimate need for a blu-ray burner. Just because it is more expensive than a blu-ray reader does not make it "higher-end" or any better "quality"
post #8 of 63 Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

The title of this thread is "New mATX HTPC build I'd recommend to others," so most of us assume it is an HTPC build. Yes, you can have a gaming HTPC, and if you were to recommend it to others you might as well call it a "New mATX Gaming HTPC build." However, as soon as you add a decent video card you might as well forget about the "fanless" range of the psu
Some of us might not have been around AVS for decades but we might know a lot more than you seem to think. The fanless below 200 W Cooler Master 850 W PSU is not going to win very many people when you could get a 600 W PCP&C Silencer MKIII for $85. While the MKIII does have a fan, I'd challenge anyone to sit in a living room and determine whether or not it was on. You can hear it with your ear 6-8" away from it, but I've never known anyone to place their HTPC 6-8" away from their ear. I have used Thermaltake, Coolermaster, and Corsair PSUs for their budget value, but when I wanted to focus on quiet it's the MKIII all day.
Did you ever try the stock cooler out before buying the scythe? While I'd recommend the scythe over other aftermarket coolers, I've challenged several people to go and try out the stock cooler first because with the right uefi settings I cannot hear the stock cooler.
Furthermore, I've yet to meet a single person who has a legitimate need for a blu-ray burner. Just because it is more expensive than a blu-ray reader does not make it "higher-end" or any better "quality"

Well, it was a bit harsh on the OP, wasn't it?

Each of us has its own req's and their own budget.

Perhaps "recommend to others" part can be taken away from the title, but everything else is valid for the OP.

I always try to to find a way to save a buck or two on my HTPC builds.

But you can go ahead and flame me for putting my HTPC into Zalman HD160XT sub - $600 case five years ago.tongue.gif

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #9 of 63 Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Well, it was a bit harsh on the OP, wasn't it?
In all honesty, from my viewpoint, my statements seemed less harsh than earlier OP responses. My wife tells me I don't understand people's feelings tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

But you can go ahead and flame me for putting my HTPC into Zalman HD160XT sub - $600 case five years ago.tongue.gif
Honestly using that kind of stuff looks pretty sweet to me, but with a bigger display and built into a wall cabinet with touch input would be nicer. What holds me back from these things are the explosion in smartphone and tablet remote control capabilities, as well as anything that custom brings headaches and fear of the past. Kind of like Scrooge when he saw his old partner in chains smile.gif

But spend however much on whatever you want. I'm nobody to stop you from plopping down $1k for this processor just to play solitaire smile.gifhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116491
I get a little heartburn if you recommend the same to others, so I like to balance out the options with a bigger picture. That's where I always learned the most in the forums anyway
post #10 of 63 Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In all honesty, from my viewpoint, my statements seemed less harsh than earlier OP responses. My wife tells me I don't understand people's feelings tongue.gif
Honestly using that kind of stuff looks pretty sweet to me, but with a bigger display and built into a wall cabinet with touch input would be nicer. What holds me back from these things are the explosion in smartphone and tablet remote control capabilities, as well as anything that custom brings headaches and fear of the past. Kind of like Scrooge when he saw his old partner in chains smile.gif

Mind you, it was 5 years ago. There was no tablets or anything like that.
And the case is alive and well and I will probably put another HTPC into it few years from now.
I am pretty sure this case wil outlive me smile.gif

Hmmm..did I mention I use my Sony Tablet S as my ultimate remote control for both A/V equipment and HTPC thru RDP? It is another $300 or so tongue.gif
Quote:

But spend however much on whatever you want. I'm nobody to stop you from plopping down $1k for this processor just to play solitaire smile.gifhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116491
I get a little heartburn if you recommend the same to others, so I like to balance out the options with a bigger picture. That's where I always learned the most in the forums anyway

Hey, there are 65 reviews on this CPU, all 5 stars, must be quite good smile.gif
I can't recommend it because I've never bought $1K CPU.

But my first HTPC from 1993 cost me about $6K. Just to put things into prospective.
But I've gained a lot of knowledge while building it, and I've got hundreds of thousands $$$ in return for my knowledge.

Such is life.

Now, peace, kids.smile.gif

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #11 of 63 Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My hostility isn't meant for anyone but the person responding by taking my suggestion and trashing it. Sorry to anyone else.
I like building computers and have a few HTPC's (5 finished builds + 1 regular computer and no I don't use them all, one to the HDTV and one to the projector, one backup, one with Snow Leopard installed for a Mac HTPC and one as my office at home computer, plus my regular desk computer), and have been building computers for a hobby since the mid 90's. I prefer high end HTPC systems that are very quiet and like to use parts that later on I can use in another system if needed. Purchasing CPU coolers and fans and trying them out is what I find fun to pass the time. That's why I suggest things I find that stand out like the Scythe CPU cooler or the specific fans I used to prefer AMD but now focus more on Intel, but will be picking up a FX-8300 CPU and a A10-5800K CPU to try out and upgrade the AMD HTPC when they're available.
The Blu-Ray burner is $60 at Micro Center for the LG 14x and the LG Combo 12x Blu-Ray (no burning, just reading) is $60. Which would you get for the same price? If you're using your other computer for something, then using your HTPC to back up a blu-ray movie might come in handy?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/396364/12x_Internal_Blu-ray_Disc_Player_and_DVD_Writer_Combo_Drive_-_Bare_Drive
http://www.microcenter.com/product/398053/14x_Internal_Blu-ray_Burner_WH14NS40_-_Bare_Drive
post #12 of 63 Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Here are the multiple problems with your build for a basic HTPC you can upgrade. I may not know all the software behind HTPC's but I've been building PC's for 5yrs.

Anyway:

CPU: Pointless. You don't need more than an i3 (such as a 3220) for a HTPC. 2 strong cores are more than sufficient. Saving: $100

MOBO: H77. Z77 like the 3570K is unnecessary. And a FATALITY board? Will you be overclocking? Watercooling? Using even a fraction of the features? Something like Gigabytes H77M-D3H is more than enough. Saving: $125

COOLER: I'd agree if you have the cash. Less heat is always good.

RAM: Fine, Kingston Value RAM is cheaper and 1.5v is fine. Either one is OK

CASE: Overpriced. USB 3, mini tower from Fractal Design

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352008

Saving: $50

PSU: Just no. Your PSU needs to load at least 40% to achieve Gold, your posted build won't hit 400w. You are paying for efficiency you won't use. Seasonic new $60 Gold certified 360w is sufficient:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151117

Saving: $85

TOTAL: $360 saved.

A lot of choices are poor. The above are all quality parts for a massive reduction in cost and still has maximum upgrade potential.
post #13 of 63 Old 09-22-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can have a multi-use HTPC, like using for gaming or other uses . The Power Supply is a good deal for $145 you get a Hybrid PS that is fanless when under 200watts (please find another fanless one with similar specs or even close for the same price or less?).
Didn't mention this was a budget basic HTPC (obviously this is for people who can afford to spend a little extra on a high end quality system), but I see you must have read it somewhere above, let me find it and fix it (thanks Tiddles88 with your years of experience and advice here on the forums, oh wait 140 posts, that's decades). Thanks for your input, hope others can take the suggestions and make your own research. Oh, and I mentioned a $60 motherboard substitute, that's more your speed? Oh, and the Lian Li case was $30 off 2 weeks ago, which I'm sure is better than any HTPC case you could have suggested for $130 with free shipping, but take a shot.

Please tell me you didn't spend all that money to game on the Intel HD4000? Yikes. Severe mismanagement of $$ for that build, sorry.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #14 of 63 Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This I 100% agree with. Build whatever you want to build. Its a free country (continent?). But if you're going to go as far as RECOMMENDING something to the knowledgeable people of this forum? Well at least make it a smart, thought-out build. Not a mis-matched, oddball waste of $$.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #15 of 63 Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So you suggest a i3 3220 at $130 at newegg. $15 more for me is nothing and I'd take the 3225 with the HD4000 for possible future use (you probably don't recall those recommending just the bare required card a couple years ago and then when 3-D came out shortly after all those cards had to be upgraded if they wanted Blu-ray 3-D and that costs a lot more upgrading than just picking up the next level card).
So $130 for the CPU and $95 for the H77 motherboard? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128548
$225 before tax (if applicable).
I suggest a i5 3570K for $189.99 and a Z77 motherboard for $59.99 + tax at Micro Center when bought in a bundle ($50 off the motherboard when you buy the i5 3570K together) http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/ . That's $250. $25 more than you and I get a better CPU an i5 (vs. i3) and a Z77 (vs. a H77) motherboard. Who's throwing their money away? Why I prefer that the top of the line motherboard with the extra features for an extra $60 more than the board you suggest is because I can afford the extra $60 for the Display Port, the reset CMOS external button, the extra 2 SATA ports, the extra 2 extrnal USB 3.0 ports, the optical digital audio port, THX True Studio, the additional PCI-e (vs. PCI) slot and the addition features the Z over the H adds, and just for that $60. By the way, the Gigabyte Z77 DS3H is only $50 when purchased with the the i5 3570K at Micro Center, that's a Z77 version of the board you suggest and that means a better board and CPU for just $15 over what you suggested, now your suggestion is really throwing money way... As I believe everyone here except you would pay the extra $15 for the Z77 board and a i5. And let me make this clear, for the same price as the H77 motherboard you suggested and a i3 3225, I've got a Z77 board with a i5 3570K! Oh, and forgot to mention that if you're a Micro Center member and have purchased something from there from the previous month to pervious week, then you get an additional 5% off the CPU making it $9.50 less. So that's $180.49 for the i5 and $59.99 for the Z77 ASRock or( $49.99 for the Gigabyte) plus tax.

For a video card to add some gaming, I'd suggest this for $110. Fanless so it stays quiet, and good for occassional gaming. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131475
The Z77 motherboard has Lucid Virtu Universal MVP http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-universal.html

Your power supply you suggest is not fanless or hybrid, how do you think that's a comparison? Yours just adds fan noise no matter how quiety the fan is. And obviously you didn't notice the Power Supply is fully modula also, better for a small case and a lot neater.

The case you suggest is not a nice looking case, it's not even a HTPC case that will go well in a entertainment system with similar looking components, for the $30 more I paid (or even $60 at the current price), I'd rather have the Lian Li made of light aluminium any day.

If you want to add Wireless (and bluetooth), these are what I use in my other systems and will try to see if they work with the ASRock motherboard. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081Y0Y4E/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 I velcro taped both antenna's to the inside of the cases and they seem to work fine through the aluminium cases without having them outside the case for aesthetics. I'll update this thread to let everyone reading this if the Gigabyte Wifi PCI-e card works with the ASRock motherboard.

By the way, if anyone wants to use SPDIF optical digital audio input on some of the Gigabyte boards for some reason (slight mod. may be necessary), here is the bracket you can add add to use it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260866155992?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 With the Lian Li case I suggest there's a extra PCI backet slot available above the power supply also so it won't take up one of your PCI slots if you need to use all 4 (or 3 if you're Video card uses 2), or if you have an older device that uses a COM port or old Printer port, you can also find those brackets available and use the extra PCI bracket slot.
post #16 of 63 Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that these are dropping to reasonable prices, will these start being used as boot drives much more often? This one is about $10 more than the same size Vertex 4 SSD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227740
post #17 of 63 Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I'd recommend an i3 and an H67 or H61 motherboard for HTPC. I just built an MATX system with the i3-3225 and a GigaByte Z77 mother board and it's plenty. The reason I used a Z77 is I got 8GB of RAM free with it, bringing the cost down to about what an H67 with a separate RAM purchase would have been. I have another system with an i7 2600 for ripping and encoding but wanted the HD4000 graphics to try out some of the new QuickSync enabled encoders, like the ones from Mirillis.
post #18 of 63 Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Sorry I have to agree with most of the criticisms of this build.

- As an HTPC, its way over powered and overpriced.

- As a gaming HTPC, its way underpowered unless you add a video card. If you add a video card...
First, to complement the reasonably high end CPU and mobo, you'd need a good enough video card so that it wouldn't be the bottleneck. This means it would be loud which means you've grossly overpaid for the PSU.
Second if you go with the video card you suggested, it will be the bottleneck in games long before the CPU is so you could have gotten a much cheaper CPU like the i3 or even G620.

In either case, 850w is too much power and you're not getting any of the energy efficiency benefits of the PSU. Also the case is way overpriced.
post #19 of 63 Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My latest HTPC build will be using an Antec 400W PSU that I picked up for $15, along with an H61 board also picked up for $15. So obviously my build approach is a bit different from the OP's, lol. On the other hand, some folks want their builds to provide more wide open media capability. For my part, I like to have the machine capable of other duties to increase flexibility, to get the most bang for the buck in terms of usage, and make the expenditure worthwhile for my household.

In that regard, while others have found the i3 CPU with HD2000 graphics fine for their usage, I have run into what appear to be some failings of the graphics capabilities. I give that as an example of where persons might have valid disagreement depending on usage. I don't know if we need a new terminology, but some people like me are interested in more capable mediaPCs rather than what some persons might view as HTPCs - and that might be partly why some persons get into disagreements in terms of builds.
post #20 of 63 Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to let everyone know I've finished building the system and the Gigabyte WiFi card works with the ASRock motherboard. Also, very impressed with the build quality of the Cooler Master Power Supply and it fits fine, although I would have preferred a 6 inch depth and not the 7 inch it is.
post #21 of 63 Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wanted to let everyone know I've finished building the system and the Gigabyte WiFi card works with the ASRock motherboard. Also, very impressed with the build quality of the Cooler Master Power Supply and fit's find, although I would have preferred a 6 inch depth and not the 7 inch it is.

Pics before you closed it up?
post #22 of 63 Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll try to post a couple pics this weekend.
post #23 of 63 Old 09-29-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The upgrade 120mm case fans didn't arrive today, so I'll open up the case and take some pics after they do arrive during the week.

If you're looking for a power supply for the Lian Li HTPC cases like the PC-C50 or PC-C60, here are two you may want to consider. These cases will take larger Power Supplies, but with the 60, you'll lose some of your Hard Drive racks. With the 50, you won't be able to add a full size exhaust fan, but a slim 120mm Scythe fan will fit if you do.

Fully modular with fan. SilverStone ST55F-G (They also have a 650W version called the ST65F-G if you need a little more power.)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=351

Or modular and fanless (which would make it less affordable). Rosewill SilentNight Series SilentNight-500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182169
post #24 of 63 Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mystery why you want such expensive PSU's. For example, a Corsair CX 430 v2 would the job for a tiny fraction of the price. Even in terms of quality and quietness, there is no need to spend more.
post #25 of 63 Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You do realize I suggested Modular power supplies and you list one that isn't, right? In case you don't know what modular refers to "The modular cable design allows use of only the cables you need resulting in improved internal airflow and reduced system clutter."

And by the way, your quote from earlier "PSU: Just no. Your PSU needs to load at least 40% to achieve Gold, your posted build won't hit 400w. You are paying for efficiency you won't use."

The SilverStone is rated at 550watts and "...80Plus Gold certification with higher efficiency 87%~90% at 20%~100% loading" that means it gets Gold efficiency at 110watts+.

Oh, and the Cooler Master 850watt power supply I installed is "The 80 PLUS Gold certified power supply provides high power efficiency of at least 87% at any load between 20% and 100%..."
post #26 of 63 Old 09-30-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You do realize I suggested Modular power supplies and you list one that isn't, right?

Not to mention the Corsair is too loud, but a Seasonic or Silencer MKIII would get you there without breaking the bank either.

How is the fanless portion working with your setup? Does it come on during startup and that's all?
post #27 of 63 Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 205
Quote:

You do realize I suggested Modular power supplies and you list one that isn't, right? In case you don't know what modular refers to "The modular cable design allows use of only the cables you need resulting in improved internal airflow and reduced system clutter."
And by the way, your quote from earlier "PSU: Just no. Your PSU needs to load at least 40% to achieve Gold, your posted build won't hit 400w. You are paying for efficiency you won't use."
The SilverStone is rated at 550watts and "...80Plus Gold certification with higher efficiency 87%~90% at 20%~100% loading" that means it gets Gold efficiency at 110watts+.
Oh, and the Cooler Master 850watt power supply I installed is "The 80 PLUS Gold certified power supply provides high power efficiency of at least 87% at any load between 20% and 100%..."

You chose the wrong PSU.

Even if you do somehow hit 20% load on that 850w PSU you need to do the math because the really small increase in efficiency over an 80+ is never going to pay for the PSU unless you use it for many many years.

Its been stated on here and other sites multiple times --- increased efficiency PSUs (those over 80+) rarely make sense for the average user and even less so with the HTPC platform.
post #28 of 63 Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My power supply is fine, money wasn't much of an object, but I got a high quality 850w power supply (plus Cooler Master doesn't have a lower power HYBRID power supply as this is the lowest of the 3) that is fully modular and fanless at under 200w load, which is basically all the time and got it for $145. Again, can you suggest a similar Fanless Modular power supply for $145? I didn't think so, so how is it your opinion on my power supply is helping anyone here? The cheapest one on newegg is $120, and is only 400 watts, the next one up is $135 which is within $10 of mine (and that one isn't even modular). The higher quality ones start at $170 and mine has better specs. and was $25 cheaper than those. Assassin, looks like you've done a lot here since I was last posting. But remember when you first started here and were suggesting a low power CPU (against my suggestion) to everyone just before Blu-Ray 3D came out and all those people couldn't play 3D on your suggestions when it came out a few months later, without upgrading so soon? So please explain to me again how I picked the wrong PSU for the price?
post #29 of 63 Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 205
Quote:

My power supply is fine, money wasn't much of an object, but I got a high quality 850w power supply (plus Cooler Master doesn't have a lower power HYBRID power supply as this is the lowest of the 3) that is fully modular and fanless at under 200w load, which is basically all the time and got it for $145. Again, can you suggest a similar Fanless Modular power supply for $145? I didn't think so, so how is it your opinion on my power supply is helping anyone here? The cheapest one on newegg is $120, and is only 400 watts, the next one up is $135 which is within $10 of mine (and that one isn't even modular). The higher quality ones start at $170 and mine has better specs. and was $25 cheaper than those. Assassin, looks like you've done a lot here since I was last posting. But remember when you first started here and were suggesting a low power CPU (against my suggestion) to everyone just before Blu-Ray 3D came out and all those people couldn't play 3D on your suggestions when it came out a few months later, without upgrading so soon? So please explain to me again how I picked the wrong PSU for the price?

First, a good quality modular PSU with a fan can be just as quiet as a fanless PSU. Even some fanless PSUs aren't completely quiet as they have an audible hum.

Second, Seasonic makes a line of modular fanless PSUs that are more appropriate for HTPC and one was recently on sale for $110.

Third, 850w is just way too high of a capacity for HTPC. And getting a higher wattage PSU or "more efficient" PSU does not equate to better build quality or components --- especially when those specs go wasted on a 40w HTPC. You need to educate yourself before you make comments like "only 400 watts" as if that isn't sufficient for HTPC (or even most/many gaming HTPCs for that matter).

I have no idea what you are talking about when you reference the "higher quality ones start at $175". Care to post something as a reference?

So I think my opinion very much helped "anyone here". And I also have no idea what you are talking about with your you "were suggesting a low power CPU (against my suggestion) to everyone before blu-ray 3D came out". Playing 3D has very little to do with the CPU and more to do with the GPU or graphics card. Again, I would like a post where I recommended this.
post #30 of 63 Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Of course you wouldn't remember that, I'll let others do the search to find it.

Here's the one for $170 that is recommended by a review site (HardOCP).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121083

Again, for others, here's a link to the power supply I got that I still think is a good deal for the price of $145 after MIR. Of course the others that don't like it here have not supplied any suggestions on other models for the same price range and specs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171061
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page