G2120 vs Sandy Bridge G series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 216
So the Ivy Bridge pentiums have been out for a little while (honestly don't know how long), but Microcenters have them for $30 more than the G630.

How do any of you feel about the value there? I've not found a lot of English benchmarks thus far (only Chinese and Russian), but I really don't care as much for the benchmark as the thermal power to performance ratio.

Also, for those who haven't seen the new microcenter e-mail, the $50 off any Z77 mobo with Ivy Bridge purchase has just been extended to the i3-3225.

If Asrock is an acceptable z77 for you, then it looks like you can go ATX with the 3225 for a combined price of $175 or mATX with the 3225 for $185 total. I'm thinking of this for a server and cascading my old Penryn tower down to a relative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also as an FYI

Myself and a lot of others living closer to a Fry's electronics have price-matched Microcenter deals without having to drive as far. It's up to who you ask and how polite you are, also make sure it's in stock at the microcenter you have them call. I've had them verify by phone with Microcenter before, and they wouldn't price match because the item was out of stock
post #3 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

So the Ivy Bridge pentiums have been out for a little while (honestly don't know how long), but Microcenters have them for $30 more than the G630.
How do any of you feel about the value there? I've not found a lot of English benchmarks thus far (only Chinese and Russian), but I really don't care as much for the benchmark as the thermal power to performance ratio.
Also, for those who haven't seen the new microcenter e-mail, the $50 off any Z77 mobo with Ivy Bridge purchase has just been extended to the i3-3225.
If Asrock is an acceptable z77 for you, then it looks like you can go ATX with the 3225 for a combined price of $175 or mATX with the 3225 for $185 total. I'm thinking of this for a server and cascading my old Penryn tower down to a relative

Why Z77 and not H77?

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #4 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw that MC deal. They raised the i3-3225 price from 120 btw but added the z77 combo discount.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Not worth it, Pentiums are not directly comparable to Celerons. I got a G540 for $45 and am very satisfied. Z77 is also more for gaming builds, H77 is more than enough for all rounder HTPC's. I went with H61.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Why Z77 and not H77?

tongue.gif Are you asking me why microcenter chose to use z77 for the $50 off discount?

Don't know why, but others in this forum and elsewhere have convinced store managers to be flexible with these offers (i.e. applying to other cpus and different mobos)

I guess it's a little muddied in my OP, but I was really asking more about the relative value anyone might have experienced with the new pentiums since they are at least $30 more
post #7 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tongue.gif Are you asking me why microcenter chose to use z77 for the $50 off discount?
Don't know why, but others in this forum and elsewhere have convinced store managers to be flexible with these offers (i.e. applying to other cpus and different mobos)
I guess it's a little muddied in my OP, but I was really asking more about the relative value anyone might have experienced with the new pentiums since they are at least $30 more

OK, got you, you are talking about MC deal.

It must be my senior moment.

Although I thought there was a sticky about good deals on top of this forum. Guess I missed something again.tongue.gif

But may G-d bless MC managers.In their infinite wisdom they made a combo out of overclockable MB and non-overclockable CPU.biggrin.gif

post #8 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Why Z77 and not H77?

because microcenter only does it on Z77 making the deal good and a Z77 not just better than a h77 but overall cheaper too.

You can't get the deal on an H77.

it's probably a margin thing- and they need the price of the Z77 motherboard to be high enough to allow a $50 discount on it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

because microcenter only does it on Z77 making the deal good and a Z77 not just better than a h77 but overall cheaper too.
You can't get the deal on an H77.
it's probably a margin thing- and they need the price of the Z77 motherboard to be high enough to allow a $50 discount on it.

Got it, thanks.

Did they close the store in Santa Ana?

Oh yes, they did, back in July. No more MC for Bay Area. Shame.

post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
i have been waiting and waiting to upgrade my 955be to a low power intel setup. im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the 3225 and z77 asrock extreme4. anyone have experience with this combo or similiar? just under 225 including tax out the door seems like a steal.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Liked: 10
my local MC only stocked the G2120 earlier this week. I think the i3-3220 was out right after Labor Day as promised, the 3225 took a week later to arrive.
Very few benchmarks out there....think it will take a while to show, but honestly the only data to look for is temperatures and power consumption.
I think the expectation in this CPU is it replaces the G8xx series, and would be a bonus if the numbers can get close to a i3-2100

If you already have a G620/G630, it's probably not a big step up.
However, if I am building from scratch, a few considerations that could tip my decision towards the G2120:

1) support for DDR3-1600Mhz -> 2 steps above the G620. this would give a noticeable boost to the already crippled on-board graphics
2) potentially lower thermals -> based on mobile cpu benchmark number, dual core IVB will likely beat SB both in power consumption and temperature, maybe not by much but I think it will surprise some folks who used to read about those IVB overheating during overclocking under high voltages...
3) this one is controversial, but infrequently one hears about SB systems randomly "freezing". No one has found the definitive proof but some points the culprit towards the on-die memory controller and its incompatibility with certain memory . Again this is not validated and the "freezing" is difficult to replicate in a lab. No similar reports in IVB systems so far. I have purchased a G620 and a i3-2100 process in the past from MC and did not encounter this issue, but I do believe phenomenon is real.

having said that, at MSRP of $99, the G2120 is a bit overpriced as it does not offer HT and Intel quick sync
but for $79, I think the price is a decent processor, especially if one considers using in a small ITX system
If the sole purpose is to surf the web and stream multimedia w/o heavy gaming, the value of a $50 G630 is very hard to beat
post #12 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 117
This makes it hard for me to justify a G2120 at the moment:

Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 3.0 GHz LGA1155 Dual-Core 32nm Processor, Model: BX80623G860, Retail Box $68.99 w/ FS @ Directron.com with coupon code SUPER50 ($1 off).

post #13 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villian512 View Post

i have been waiting and waiting to upgrade my 955be to a low power intel setup. im really thinking about pulling the trigger on the 3225 and z77 asrock extreme4. anyone have experience with this combo or similiar? just under 225 including tax out the door seems like a steal.

It IS one excellent deal. I've got myself i3 3220 and h77 for $207 after some tricks, for $18 extra I'd love to get this , but there are no MC stores for me.mad.gif

However, i3 3225 is not overclockable, so the benefits of z77 are wasted.

post #14 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

The G Sandy celerons do have quicksync as a decoder only, not an encoder. Personally, I can't see the point for a playback only (no gaming) system to have more than a Celeron.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Not worth it, Pentiums are not directly comparable to Celerons. I got a G540 for $45 and am very satisfied. Z77 is also more for gaming builds, H77 is more than enough for all rounder HTPC's. I went with H61.
Quote:

The G Sandy celerons do have quicksync as a decoder only, not an encoder. Personally, I can't see the point for a playback only (no gaming) system to have more than a Celeron.

While a G540 is a good bargain, if I can get an i3/z77 for an extra $40 then I'll lean on the higher spec every time. Fortunately the i3 cpus idle efficiently, and for basic playback you don't utilize any more power. The extra power is just available, and it makes all the stuff outside of basic playback more efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzz View Post

1) support for DDR3-1600Mhz -> 2 steps above the G620. this would give a noticeable boost to the already crippled on-board graphics
2) potentially lower thermals -> based on mobile cpu benchmark number, dual core IVB will likely beat SB both in power consumption and temperature, maybe not by much but I think it will surprise some folks who used to read about those IVB overheating during overclocking under high voltages...

I forgot the ddr3 spec bump, and it would seem to greatly improve utilization of the shared graphics memory
I distinctly remember looking at the Microcenter G2120 specs page, and thinking "I didn't realize Intel left the Ivy Bridge Pentium line at 32nm"
I see now that it is correctly updated to 22nm, which matches Intel's spec page as well
32 -> 22 will provide higher efficiency and lower thermals, but the question remains is it worth an extra $30

Also, while on the topic, aren't there a few good cheaper-than-HTPC options for a playback only system already?
post #16 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While a G540 is a good bargain, if I can get an i3/z77 for an extra $40 then I'll lean on the higher spec every time. Fortunately the i3 cpus idle efficiently, and for basic playback you don't utilize any more power. The extra power is just available, and it makes all the stuff outside of basic playback more efficient.
I forgot the ddr3 spec bump, and it would seem to greatly improve utilization of the shared graphics memory
I distinctly remember looking at the Microcenter G2120 specs page, and thinking "I didn't realize Intel left the Ivy Bridge Pentium line at 32nm"
I see now that it is correctly updated to 22nm, which matches Intel's spec page as well
32 -> 22 will provide higher efficiency and lower thermals, but the question remains is it worth an extra $30
Also, while on the topic, aren't there a few good cheaper-than-HTPC options for a playback only system already?

No point to spend $40 more if you don't need to for a pure playback HTPC.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No point to spend $40 more if you don't need to for a pure playback HTPC.

I'd say more to the point that for pure playback you don't need an HTPC. Since customization and power are more in the favor of forum users here, then there is plenty of point if the price is right and it doesn't sacrifice space, heat, noise, etc.

While you may have a lot of knowledge, your points are often too vague to be considered seriously or taken as anything other than newb-esque opinion. Here's a useful diagram on rationale discussions
post #18 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 117
Why get an HTPC when you can just get a blu-ray player from Best Buy (#1 store ever) and a set-top box from Comcast? This forum is so stupid. wink.gif

post #19 of 20 Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd say more to the point that for pure playback you don't need an HTPC. Since customization and power are more in the favor of forum users here, then there is plenty of point if the price is right and it doesn't sacrifice space, heat, noise, etc.
While you may have a lot of knowledge, your points are often too vague to be considered seriously or taken as anything other than newb-esque opinion. Here's a useful diagram on rationale discussions

Are you a bit lost? No media streamer has the flexibility of playback that a HTPC does. As for noise and heat, my mini-ITX Antec 110 has zero problems with either of those metrics. That is why for pure playback nothing can match a HTPC. And that image - are you really that full of yourself?
post #20 of 20 Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you a bit lost? No media streamer has the flexibility of playback that a HTPC does. As for noise and heat, my mini-ITX Antec 110 has zero problems with either of those metrics. That is why for pure playback nothing can match a HTPC. And that image - are you really that full of yourself?

Flexibility of playback? For pure playback you don't need flexibility biggrin.gif Just format your media accordingly.

It does seem impossible for you to actually discuss anything on this forum, so I can understand why someone in another thread asked if you were sure you should be giving advice. That definitely remains true here. You might think I'm full of myself, but I strive to explain my thoughts around why something could or couldn't be useful at a minimum. I'd prefer the same as the OP for the thread, so if you have no real reason to discuss the thread TITLE then please don't bother to offer an opinion of what you bought without defending your logic with facts
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page