Reinstalling PowerDVD from original image files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have recently installed a new video card -- a GeForce 210-- in our 4-year-old Slimline HTPC.

I have also installed the latest MPC-HC, LAV filters, MadVR renderer and ReClock.

MPC now plays movies well, but the original player that came with the computer, HP's "DVD Play BD & HD DVD" dual format software player, is no longer operating as it should. This software is HP's very own version of an early PowerDVD that played both HD formats.

In short, I would like to uninstall that program and then re-install if from the original back-up disks that I made the first time I started the computer. I want to re-install that program and that program only.

Is what I'd like to do possible? If so, how do I do it? Exactly where in the Vista registry will I find the key code for that program, BEFORE I uninstall it (so that I can re-install it again)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Liked: 11
Hi the problem would be the software doesnt work with new card there is a update on the hp site for that software so just install that it will overwrite your old software,hopefully its new enough to work with your card
post #3 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmaker View Post

Hi the problem would be the software doesnt work with new card there is a update on the hp site for that software so just install that it will overwrite your old software,hopefully its new enough to work with your card

Well, I took to heart what you said above and connected our Slimline to the internet -- a rare event reserved exclusively for downloading updates -- and downloaded a program "update" from HP. After that I opened the program and, sure enough, it asked if I wanted to check for an update. So I figured what the H, and clicked "yes". Then I was taken to a Cyberlink page that was set up for the exclusvie purpose of updating HP's version of HP DVD Play.

I downloaded and installed the available update and once again opened the program, whereupon I was presented with the same "check for update?" option. I again clicked "yes" and was told that there is no update available. So now I'm pretty sure I have the latest and greatest, and probably last, version of this program.

To test, I popped in an HD-DVD of "The Pianist". In short, it played back perfectly with a cpu usage of between 10 and 14%. Wonderful!

I then popped in a BD of "Apocalypto" and the same thing.

Wonderful, right? No, not right, because then I loaded up a BD iso into Virtual Clone Drive. The virtual drive was created as normal with the appropriate folders visible, so I started DVD Play and was immediately confronted with a "Format not supported" message.

In short, now I cannot play back any of our multitude of BD iso files on this program (although I have installed the latest version of MPC-HC with good results).

This reminds me of Oppo's capitulation to the movie industry when it removed iso playback from its players.

Is there any way, short of burning all my isos to disc, to get DVD Play (PowerDVD) to play either iso images or the m2ts files within them?

Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've answered my own question. I downloaded from Slysoft the latest version of VCD and now all my image files play back. Yippeee!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page