post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Hi all,

I need some help.

I have an extensive library of both movies and TV shows.

It's all set up on my server - organized into resolutions.

Example: I have a folder on my flexraid server called "ALL MOVIES". Inside that folder I have a few folders of collections or organizations so that they show as a library or collection inside mediabrowser.

Example: inside "all movies" is a folder called "all HD MOVIES" and another folder called "all non hd movies" Inside the HD movies folder I place 720p or better movie folders. Inside the non HD movies folder I place anything less than 720p.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

I have multiple copies of movies in different versions. For example I might have a 720p mkv of a movie, and then also a lower resolution so there is a copy inside both folders. I would like to easily identify these duplicates and delete the lowest qualities so that I have only one copy (the best quality one)

Anyone have some advice how I could find duplicates ?????

is there an easy way to generate a list???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In Windows:

Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

From the Command Prompt window move to the top level directory such as All Movies. Change drives by entering B: if you need to move to the B drive. then Cd \folder path to move to the folder. I normally just go down one level at a time using multiple cd commends to step folder by folder but you can also list the full path in one commend. cd.. will go up one level at a time

From the top use the Directory command such as dir *.mkv /s to list all mkv files in the folder and all sub-folders. You may also want to use the /b option to just list the files.

You can also pipe the output to a text file if that is easier to deal with dir *.mkv /s >> C:\1.txt will put all of the command output in a text file named 1.txt in the root directory on C:

For other directory options use dir /? to look at other options to customize your output. dir *. will just give you a list of sub-folders in a given folder.

The up arrow on your keyboard should allow you to bring up previous commands so that you don't have to retype commands if you are doing similar things over and over.

Note: folder and directory have been used as the same thing above.

The best way for you may be to do the dir *.mkv /s command at the top of you HD tree and at the top of your nonHD tree. If the screen reults look good, pipe each to a seperate text file then print those lists and compare or open in two Notepad, Word or other text program windows and compare the results.
Mfusick likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Movie Center Master v 2.03 provides qualtiy details and a path for each movie. There is also an old program called movie lister:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18406843#post18406843
You can name a folder and print out an alphabetical list and then compare the lists for duplicates.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I use drivez for my main movie folder for inventory List.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 12
Another way would be to create or modify a collection in Media Browser so that one collection points to both the HD and Non-HD sets of folders. Then look for movies with two or more posters in that collection in Media Browser.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Movie Center Master v 2.03 provides qualtiy details and a path for each movie. There is also an old program called movie lister:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18406843#post18406843
You can name a folder and print out an alphabetical list and then compare the lists for duplicates.

but would I have to include every movie folder into my mediamaster?

Currently I have a folder called media master on my RAID0 drive that I place movies into... tune them up... then move to the server for storage.

All my media folders are not currently included in my mediamaster library

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh1 View Post

Another way would be to create or modify a collection in Media Browser so that one collection points to both the HD and Non-HD sets of folders. Then look for movies with two or more posters in that collection in Media Browser.

lol.

I do this now.

hhaha.

-

post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
it's down and dirty, but what not just use windows's search function? Assuming you have all your movies in the same format, such as MKV, just search for *.mkv from All Movies including all subfolders. The results should be in alphabetical order. From there, just look for the smaller file size, which should be lower resolution movies. Plus, it should give the file location in the status bar, which is a secondary indicator. Then it's just hit delete. It may be faster.

I know Plex, and I believe XMBC, will list every movie file. You'll just want setup your movie folder at the "HD Movies" and the other folder "nonHD" into the just one Movie section. When you go through, it should list both movies with the same metadata. But if you look at the details, one should show 720p/1080p and another for SD resolutions (480p). As long as you have it setup, you should be able to detele it from there; I think off the HD, not from the library. Plex has an option to hide a movie.

Personally, I would go with my first solution.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mediacentermaster has a media report it can generate that has been working great for me biggrin.gif

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page