Computers not turning on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About a week ago we had a power outage. My server would not restart after the outage (it acted completely dead...as if it werent getting power), and I figured it was the motherboard. I put the PSU in my wife's computer to test it and it worked, and my motherboard is 6 years old. So I ordered a new one. However the server still would not turn on. I wondered if it was my power switch, so I disconnected my wife's computer's power switch and tested the server's switch in my wife's computer. Still nothing. I then tried my wife's computer's power switch on the server, and again nothing happened. About ready to give up, I put everything back in my wife's computer.

But now my wife's computer won't turn on. I know that the computer is getting some sort of power because the USB wireless device has a light on.

Any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The only logical answers (to me anyways) why all this would happen is if you had the PSU plugged in and on while you reconnected it to your wife's computer OR
you didn't get a solid connection with the two PSU to MOBO connectors. TURN THE PSU OFF, then re-connect them. Let's hope you didn't fry SWMBO's MOBO.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would tried switching the power switches back and make sure their properly seated/connected. It's possible the one got damaged.

Beyond that, stick your nosed next to or in that server and sniff for smoke. You probably got a power surge and something "popped." It'll more than likely have a distinct smoke smell. I've had it happen to me a couple times. Lost two PSUs and a motherboard form power surges.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
can you post some good clear pictures of the motherboard you may have over looked plugging something in.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page