Review: Silverstone Grandia Series GD08 HTPC Case - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,

Thought I would share my thoughts and comments on Silverstone's GD08 HTPC case. This was my first purchase in regards to a HTPC and I had searched ALL over for the multiple options in HTPC cases. I checked out OrigenAE, Wesena, Lian Li, Monurel, and Silverstone. At first I wanted a 7" touch screen option on the front (just for PURE "eye candy" purposes) but came to my sense and realized there was no actual gain from it. I really wanted a CLEAN looking case to integrate within my current equipment rack. My color choice was black and wanted something metal - either steel or aluminum and had to conform to my Micro ATX motherboard choice.

I decided with Silverstone GD08 which had a really clean look to the front panel, 2 bays for 5.25" drives and ALL the necessary buttons/inputs for a front panel.
Made my purchase through Newegg - just so everyone knows, when I placed my order, Newegg doesn't stock these, they are "drop shipped" straight from Silverstone (based out of California). Once I had my tracking number from UPS - the wait started...........

Well, it came 7 days later to my house, it was packaged very nicely. The case was wrapped in plastic with styrofoam blocks at the corners to protect it.

When I took the case out of the box and set it on my desk - WOW this thing looks AWESOME! It measures 17.25" W X 7"H X 16.75"D - it will fit nicely into most A/V racks. The case looks very beefy and makes its presence known. The front panel is anodized aluminum with the 2 flip doors for the drives made out plastic and are also spring loaded. When you hit the button to eject the tray, the door flips down and you are ready to insert your media. There is a great adjustment feature to allow you to make sure the case eject button lines up with your drives eject button.

The rear of the case has your standard opening for your motherboard connections, has 7 standard "add on" card slots with an 8th slot going vertically across the others. The power supply opening will fit a standard ATX power supply and there is a perforated section to install 2 additional 80mm fans.

The left and right sides of the case (not shown in pictures) have openings in them as well. The right side has 2 openings for 120mm fans (1 comes standard with the case). There is a removeable filter on the outside that catches ALL the crap before in can get into the case. The fan mounted here is setup as an intake which draws air into the case. The left side has 1 opening for your power supply fan facing outward.

The bottom of the case has 3 openings for 120mm - 2 of which come installed from SIlverstone. The same applies here, both fans are setup as intakes to draw cool air into the case. This bank of fans also has a removeable filter you can clean - keeps all the crud from getting into your machine.

Here is a shot of the insde once you remove the top cover (held in place with 2 machine screws). There is PLENTY of room in here to hold everything and your kitchen sink smile.gif Motherboard standoffs are already installed for you - great if you are using a full sized ATX board. All the pre-installed wires are bundled and ready to attach to your MB. Here you can also see the bank of fans on the bottom of the case. Also, in the picture is the "drive bank" that holds your 5.25" drives (2 of them), and up to seven 3.5" HD (it can also accomodate four 2.5" HD too) - all with vibration control in mind. There is even 1 more HD slot that directly bolts onto the right handside of the case (no vibration control here)

Here is a shot of just the drive bank that can come comepletely out of the case - makes it soooo much easier to work on and install your gear versus having to do it inside the case.

Here you can see MB is inplace, power supply installed and there is stil plenty of room. My MB is a micro ATX and I needed to install additional standoffs which are supplied along with additioanl hardware needed to install your drives into the drive bank.

All in all, I am definitely pleased with this purchase. GREAT looking case, asthetically pleasing to the eye and very functional. The price was RIGHT as well - about $150 or so depending on where you purchase from. I am giving this case two thumbs up and would suggest it to anyone looking to get a HTPC case.

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice case. I have Silverstone GD04S and like it very much. Got it from Amazon for $90 shipped.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Very nice case . I know it really doesn't count for htpc use but I really like the interior painted black . Seems rare to see this . Now we need the pics of the actual build your doing cool.gif

Been eyeballing it for about a month now . Thought I would set my old EATX HTPC back up using this case and maybe my gaming card just for fun .
post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for the review, very informative. I dont understand why you started off by stating the case had to conform to your micro ATX motherboard choice but the case you bought is for ATX motherboards. Why did you not go for one of the micro ATX cases made by Silverstone such as the GD04/GD05?

David
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

Thanks for the review, very informative. I dont understand why you started off by stating the case had to conform to your micro ATX motherboard choice but the case you bought is for ATX motherboards. Why did you not go for one of the micro ATX cases made by Silverstone such as the GD04/GD05?
David

Because this case was able to hold plenty of drives for me (i.e. expandability in the future).
After re-reading what I wrote, probably just a bad choice of words.
This case is AWESOME!

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page