STICKIES - Lots of knowledge in this forum, needs a little better structure - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Anyone esle feel like they just got called an idiot?

Maybe not a full idiot, but definitely "less-than-expert"

Fair enough, I've never intended to be an expert in my posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

What I am saying is that if someone takes this on a Wiki is mandatory (assuming the AVS forum software can handle it) given these issues or you need to create it outside of AVS. The forum is not really setup for this type of thing (unless there is somesort of Wiki function of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

An open wiki can be inaccurate if a person with erroneous information edits it too.

Understand and agree

example: Slickdeals wikis are extremely helpful

An open wiki on this forum sounds like a nightmare

Open for suggestions - great
Open for edits - eek.gif

Maybe the FAQ/Guide Owner or council of owners could have an "approve" function that they would have to relinquish after 30 days of no response
post #33 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Anyone esle feel like they just got called an idiot?

Not an idiot, but useless -- except renethx. smile.gif

post #34 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I agree the forum is far less useful then it once was. ...

Sadly when solid walk throughs are sold is going to be necessity create an inherent conflict for the folks who want to be thought leaders and curators... I don't have a gripe against anyone who wants use the forum as the front door of their business but it does contribute to the hap hazzard nature of this forum as an information source.

I wouldn't be so circumspect. I'd say the decline in quality is directly attributable to those who try to bottle and resell the information that once flowed freely here.
post #35 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To reiterate my original post - wikis would be nice but at least some update would be plenty fine

It was not long ago that I started contributing to this forum, and I thought the stickies were well selected

There are still tons of people out there who have yet to discover *ANY* of the available HTPC options (I heard the morning radio show DJs practically BEGGING for an affordable DVR with user-expandable storage and music/dvd library navigation - they thought the only options for this would cost thousands of dollars)

It just kills me to see things like the following in the 3D HTPC FAQ
Quote:
These new chipsets include the Intel H55, H57 and Q57

I've yet to read through the media storage server thread. Is the "reason" for that thread becoming a sticky buried somewhere within the thread?
post #36 of 46 Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

I wouldn't be so circumspect. I'd say the decline in quality is directly attributable to those who try to bottle and resell the information that once flowed freely here.

Or, they just have a better product than the current stickies that is more up-to-date and relevant so that's where people go for basic information rather than needing to create another "I want to build a HTPC what do I need" thread. There are far fewer "how do I build an HTPC" threads because someone has compiled that information, made it available and kept it up-to-date somewhere else. When I first came here to learn how to build my first HTPC, this was mostly those kinds of threads. Now there are few. I don't see that as a negative. Why have to answer the same questions over and over?

The current state of the stickies has nothing to do with where the information lives or what the cost is to obtain it. I don't see anyone here restricting information and there's plenty of threads beyond the basics of HTPC -- plenty of discussion going on about this and that. Discussion forums are just not the right tool for sticky/FAQ/wiki type of information.

post #37 of 46 Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

IMHO, a lot of the reason it's hard to keep information relevant/up-to-date is because this is a discussion forum. FAQ/guide/spec type information is better suited to a wiki where there's a community of people contributing and the page you're looking at represents the latest information. An AVS HTPC wiki would be nice. Long threads don't make for good FAQs/guides.

This. The best how-to forums posts are ones where the forum they are posted on allow full html within the post and the poster takes full advantage of that. Anyone here into high end keyboards? Then you probably know of geekhack (I wouldn't recommend visiting the site as the last time I was there my PC got several viruses) and you know of their wiki's. They chose to go the wiki route and it worked out beautifully... until it was ironically hacked and deleted. That being said, the wikis there were so good mainly because of one person that had a ton of knowledge and didn't mind spending a lot of his time creating and maintaining them. A wiki is the solution but as already noted... it's very hard to maintain.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #38 of 46 Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

I am inclined to agree. Money has a funny way of killing community participation. When people see that some people are profiting, they tend to become less interested in contributing. This might sound like a moral judgement but really it's an empirical observation from nearly 25 years on the net.

As for wikis, since no one else seemed interested in googling it, I did.

Go here: http://www.avsforum.com/atype/7/Community_Articles
Click "Add an Article"
Tada you are now editing a wiki article.

It looks kinda primitive compared to other wiki systems.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #39 of 46 Old 03-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

I am inclined to agree. Money has a funny way of killing community participation. When people see that some people are profiting, they tend to become less interested in contributing. This might sound like a moral judgement but really it's an empirical observation from nearly 25 years on the net.

Click "Add an Article"

I went ahead and created one and added everyone in this thread to it. I would suggest posting in here when you start editing so we don't write over each other.

http://www.avsforum.com/a/media-storage-server-diy

The storage server thread is the worst one on here, so I added that. Please don't compare the different solutions to each other but feel free to list the pros and cons of any solution in a peaceful way.

I don't know if this will take off in any way but thought I'd try.
post #40 of 46 Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Liked: 11
I would consider helping with it, but all of my knowledge comes from the Assassin guide I paid for, so I don't really think it would be fair to belch out things I learned from the guide he took time to create. That being said, maybe I am not the type of person you want providing input...
post #41 of 46 Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

Click "Add an Article"

I went ahead and created one and added everyone in this thread to it. I would suggest posting in here when you start editing so we don't write over each other.

The storage server thread is the worst one on here, so I added that. Please don't compare the different solutions to each other but feel free to list the pros and cons of any solution in a peaceful way.

I have some info I could add. Just no time now. Stay tuned.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #42 of 46 Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfordb View Post

I would consider helping with it, but all of my knowledge comes from the Assassin guide I paid for, so I don't really think it would be fair to belch out things I learned from the guide he took time to create. That being said, maybe I am not the type of person you want providing input...

It would not be right to copy/paste Assassin's Guide in here. He spent time on it and wants to sell the guide, that is his right.

That being said, I don't care who posts in it. I only added people from this thread so that there is some ability to prevent abuse. If Assassin thinks you are stealing from him then he can delete the information.

I'm looking forward to what you add Mfusick.
post #43 of 46 Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree^

I'm not sure we need to compete with Asassin on anything. I think there is a general basis for understanding building a HTPC in this forum from many users; those looking for more than basic help or wanting it all in one place can just go with Assassin guides.

I think the how to build a media server threads are lacking. Media servers seem to be gaining in popularity too. I was planning on posting some advice and pictures from my last two server builds as a way of giving back to AVS. I'm not interested in competing with assassin or doing an HTPC guide. Just helping some people based on my experiences with building a server.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #44 of 46 Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

How come I can't edit the article?
post #45 of 46 Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

How come I can't edit the article?

Just added you!
post #46 of 46 Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This was a great idea that never took off smile.gif

At this point the stickies are outdated in this forum. They should be removed or remade.

Pc hardware changes too fast and there's no point reading threads over a year old

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page