OTA HD Recording Hardware Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have 3 HTPC's and would like to record OTA HD to my Synology Nas. Is it possible to have one HTPC as my recording PC that saves the files to my NAS so all PC's can view the recordings? If this is possible what hardware would I need to best accomplish this goal? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
TV turner for one. Hauppage (sp?) and Silicondust HDHomerun are popular choices. You would need one PC to do the recording. If using Windows Center, you just share your recorded TV library, and then add that library to your other HTPCs in MC.

I don't have a NAS, so I can't really comment about recording off to it. I know you can change where to put the recorded files. I've read there are issues when trying to record and it the file put on a NAS. I don't know if it's a MC or bandwidth issue. You may want to do search or maybe someone will be kind of enough to elaborate.

If the NAS recording is a big issue, unless you plan on keeping the recordings, I would just use the HTPC HDD. This assumes watch once and delete, and not using an SSD to record to. If you really want to keep something, you can just cut and paste in file explorer or something. There are other issues that may come about for that scenario with the WTV file.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. After researching I ordered an HD Homerun dual tuner. I plan on using that with WMC to record shows on my 1T drive in my HTPC. I think there is a program called mcbuddy or something that will compress the recordings and remove commercials. When it runs I think it can copy the files to my NAS over my gigabit network for XBMC to pickup on all HTPC's in the house. Well that's the plan so far. It may change but sounds ok for now. I just wish the HD Homerun was gigabit instead of 100mbs max. After converting my home network to 1000 it really sucks transferring files at 100. Oct 5th the cord is getting cut. I will only have internet monthly charges and VOIP phone which cost $10 a month.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Adding the Homerun won't slow down your gigabit network to 100mb. It will just add a little overhead if your streaming something off of it at the same time your doing file transfers.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have and use the HDHR2, and it's not issue with the 100mb ports. My issue comes from the HTPC is connected via WiFi and the microwave likes to play havoc. The HDHR can be a bit sensitive to packet loss. It's not very common to have issues when the microwave is not going.

I can't comment on MCBuddy, but it's well regarded.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would think it could be done easily.

I record my OTA shows with SageTV v.7 onto my HTPC. I opened Media Player and select you folder for sharing then all the PCs on the network, including my PS3, can see and play the files. This is the plan for whenever I get around to building a server.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hi, myriadcorp.

I do exactly what you are describing. In my case, my HTPC has only a 128 GB solid state drive and a Hauppauge Win-TV HVR-2250 dual tuner card, and I built a NAS with FreeNAS that has 7.1 TB of usable storage. However, any NAS solution should work. On the HTPC and on the other computers in my household, I have Windows Media Center 7 with MediaBrowser. On the NAS, I have a Multimedia share with a directory called Recorded TV. I have a media collection in MediaBrowser that is pointed to the NAS Recorded TV directory. I also have my MediaBrowser play state centralized on the NAS for all MediaBrowser installations to share. During the day, all desired OTA TV is recorded on the HTPC. I have shared the HTPCs Recorded TV directory on my LAN. The other Windows Media Center 7 computers have this shared directory added to their Library for Recorded TV. So, if you want to watch a TV show that was recorded that day, it will be accessible in the HTPCs Recorded TV directory. Each night, at 1:00 AM, I have a scheduled task run that executes the WTV-MetaRenamer PowerShell script. This script parses through the HTPC Recorded TV directory, renames all shows in proper season/episode number format, organizes the shows in directories for Series and Season, pulls cover art and backdrop images for the shows from the TV Database, and saves all of that over in my Recorded TV directory on the NAS Multimedia share. At this point, the TV shows show up under the Recorded TV collection of MediaBrowser. Also, since I have centralized the play state, if I start a TV show in MediaBrowser on the HTPC and stop watching half way through, I can pick up right where I left off on my laptop later when I want to finish the show.

HTPC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1/WMC/MediaBrowser
GD05B-USB3
Core i3-2120/GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250
Lite-On 12x BD-ROM ihes112-04
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III SSD
Seasonic 430W S12II (OS/Apps)
AZIO KB338BP BT KB/Trackpad

post #8 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrinson View Post

Hi, myriadcorp.

I do exactly what you are describing. In my case, my HTPC has only a 128 GB solid state drive and a Hauppauge Win-TV HVR-2250 dual tuner card, and I built a NAS with FreeNAS that has 7.1 TB of usable storage. However, any NAS solution should work. On the HTPC and on the other computers in my household, I have Windows Media Center 7 with MediaBrowser. On the NAS, I have a Multimedia share with a directory called Recorded TV. I have a media collection in MediaBrowser that is pointed to the NAS Recorded TV directory. I also have my MediaBrowser play state centralized on the NAS for all MediaBrowser installations to share. During the day, all desired OTA TV is recorded on the HTPC. I have shared the HTPCs Recorded TV directory on my LAN. The other Windows Media Center 7 computers have this shared directory added to their Library for Recorded TV. So, if you want to watch a TV show that was recorded that day, it will be accessible in the HTPCs Recorded TV directory. Each night, at 1:00 AM, I have a scheduled task run that executes the WTV-MetaRenamer PowerShell script. This script parses through the HTPC Recorded TV directory, renames all shows in proper season/episode number format, organizes the shows in directories for Series and Season, pulls cover art and backdrop images for the shows from the TV Database, and saves all of that over in my Recorded TV directory on the NAS Multimedia share. At this point, the TV shows show up under the Recorded TV collection of MediaBrowser. Also, since I have centralized the play state, if I start a TV show in MediaBrowser on the HTPC and stop watching half way through, I can pick up right where I left off on my laptop later when I want to finish the show.

That's exactly what I want to do. I use to have a Freenas setup until a power outage corrupted my raid. I dumped the freenas and purchased a synology and it has been amazing. Freenas was nice but the synology is in a different league. I used mediabrowser just like you until I started using XBMC and Plex. They are so much easier to deal with than Mediabrowser and WMC. I want to record the shows and copy them to my NAS so Plex & XBMC can pick them up for all htpc's. I will give this a shot when my HD Homerun gets here from newegg.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page