Settings for Catalyst Control Center 12.8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 09-28-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope there is nothing wrong opening another CCC thread, since there are always some differences from one CCC version to another. For example i can't find in CCC 12.8 Pixel Format.

So the goal of this topic is to discuss which settings in CCC 12.8 are the "best" for media playback on TV (not gaming) for all ATI/AMD users.

I have read somewhere that this settings should always be OFF/disabled:
1. Disable Edge-enhancement
2. Disable De-noise
3. Disable Enforce Smooth Video Playback
4. Disable Use automatic deinterlacing, and set the slider bar to vector adaptive.

But this are only 4 settings. What about the rest? I was wondering what should I set for this settings (see screen shots below):

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

I presume this settings are ONLY for gaming so they don't apply here? Also 3D settings are only for 3D gaming, right?

e.png

Here are some extra screen shots because i was not sure if some of this settings should be configured also or i should just leave them as default?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Ugh, turn all of that garbage off. There are sometimes exceptions like deinterlacing and pulldown, but turn everything off first and turn on features later as needed. The stuff you listed at the bottom can probably all be left at the default. If you're lucky the settings will stick and not spontaneously turn back on like they frequently did for me before I dropped ATI.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
well, it doesn't sound like lockdown is the guy with hands-on experience. I'd be interested in what people have found each setting's effects are.
post #4 of 29 Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22

OP, those are excellent questions, the answers which are subjective in regards to the configuration of your HW / codec / playback software.

I just rebuilt my HTPC this week and am in the middle of a FFDSHOW+EVR and LAV+madVR shootout right now on my setup (literally, taking a little break from it right now) to see what works best for my setup.

Part of that shootout will be enabling Deblocking and Mosquito Noise Reduction. Based on previous experience, I had these two cranked up to like 70 or 80, and they made a huge difference in smoothing out stuff that was not encoded well (XVIDs in AVIs, older WMVs, etc).

Also, based on previous experience: 

Post Processing Stuff:

• Like I said, I saw a noticable improvement using MNR and DB
  • I've always liked Brighter Whites
  • Enforce Smooth Video Playback: Part of my shootout is seeing if I have more/less/no dropped frames with this on
  • Apply Current Settings to Internet Video: Youtube, clips on new sites, etc
  • De-interlacing and Pull Down: I've always left these off, as I configured my filters (codecs) to deinterlace (EDIT: I turned these on, set to Auto, based on Mindbomb's verification that DXVA2 via AMD can't HW deinterlace in LAV)

Color Stuff:

1st and foremost, take the time to calibrate your TV before messing with any color stuff.

Head over to the AVS 709 page, grab the MP4s and the patterns manual. Read the heck out of the 1st part of the patterns manual.

The MP4s will help you get your black and white levels squared away, determine if you have any overscan, set your sharpness (if needed). 

If you're lucky enough to have a TV that can output 'blue-only' mode, then run the Flashing Color Bars tests also.

Calibrate against the source HDMI port that you have your HTPC plugged into. Set that source's label to "PC" and it's color space to "Auto", as you want to try and get 1:1 pixel mapping / Full RGB.

Speaking of which, in the Vision Control Panel, My Digital Flat Panels, Pixel Format. In the drop-down, see what options you have. Your TV might be able to accept Full RGB, which I've found to be optimal over 4:4:4 (after calibrating).

Leave the Brighter Whites turned off while calibrating, turn it back on after calibrating and run thru the MP4s again to see if you need to adjust your levels. I personally really like the Brighter Whites effects.

Otherwise:

• Basic Video Color: Let the video player (MPC-HC, 7MC, etc) handle this
  • Turn off Color Vibrance and Flesh Tone Correction - I have these turned off
  • Dynamic Range (aka color space and pixel format) - I have this unchecked and have my codecs set to output 0-255 (Full RGB)

The AMD Video Converter and it's HW acceleration is used to convert video files from one format to another, and has nothing to do with playing back content.

I'm not familiar with the 3D/App profiles stuff.

I know, it seems like there is some serious witchcraft happening with these settings. Take your time and have fun. Plan on dedicating a few hours. I can honestly say that calibrating against the AVS 709 MP4s what the single most thing I ever did on my first HTPC build to improve picture quality.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #5 of 29 Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

well, it doesn't sound like lockdown is the guy with hands-on experience. I'd be interested in what people have found each setting's effects are.

I'm not sure what you mean. While I haven't investigated each setting individually, I can assure you that the default settings will ruin picture quality. Moreover, color adjustments should not be made at the video card level. You want your htpc to output as neutral an image as possible, and then color adjustments should be made on the TV itself.

I guess some people might like noise reduction and stuff like that, but people that actually care about picture quality generally always want post-processing features turned off. My goal is to watch a movie exactly as it was filmed and how the director intended it. If there's noise, then so be it.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked: 13
I have turned off flesh tone correction too.

It made a huge difference to my BD/MKV playbacks...people had unusually rosy-green cheeks before that.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your inputs. I thought that there were some general settings which are considered "the best or most useful" from people with knowledge of calibrations and such things.

@Bizzy G.L.X: I find it interesting that you have some settings turned ON, where i have read on a couple of sites they should be turned OFF. Like lockdown571 said:
Quote:
Moreover, color adjustments should not be made at the video card level. You want your htpc to output as neutral an image as possible, and then color adjustments should be made on the TV itself.

...people that actually care about picture quality generally always want post-processing features turned off. My goal is to watch a movie exactly as it was filmed and how the director intended it. If there's noise, then so be it.

I'm new to this but i have already calibrated my TV and because of that i am now looking for best possible settings in CCC.

For example:
1)Which setting here is considered the best?

3.png

2) Should i disable ITC processing?
1.png

3) Should i enable Dynamic Range? And the is it better full or limited?
2.png
post #8 of 29 Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I’m using CCC 11.4 with an HD 6450 video card.

From what I understand, the HDTV is expecting 16-235 color. And I used to get this with WMC7 before the 6450 was installed. But with the 6450, blacks were washed out unless I used the Full RGB Pixel Format. It appears the first 3 pixel formats use 16-235 color & so does WMC7, so I was getting a double conversion. If I used Full RGB then WMC7 looked correct, but my other players then suffered from black crush & no shadow detail.

In order for my other players to look correct I had to use one of the first 3 pixel formats & then do a registry hack to “fix” WMC7. I have more info here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1429566/wmc-is-washed-out-after-calibration

If you don’t use WMC then you can use any pixel format & calibrate your HDTV accordingly.

That being said, my Dynamic Range is not checked & the Full 0-255 button is selected, but the whole thing is grayed out. So I’m not sure what that means. I just installed the card about 4 weeks ago & haven’t yet tried all the settings. But right now the HTPC black level matches that of my Blu-ray player using the same HDMI input on the HDTV (I’m using an external HDMI switch).

What does the Dynamic Range do that the Pixel Format does not do?
post #9 of 29 Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I’m using CCC 11.4 with an HD 6450 video card.

That being said, my Dynamic Range is not checked & the Full 0-255 button is selected, but the whole thing is grayed out. So I’m not sure what that means. I just installed the card about 4 weeks ago & haven’t yet tried all the settings. But right now the HTPC black level matches that of my Blu-ray player using the same HDMI input on the HDTV (I’m using an external HDMI switch).
What does the Dynamic Range do that the Pixel Format does not do?

Same situation here and i have the same questions. =D
post #10 of 29 Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Dynamic Range converts the video from 16-235 or 0-255 to the other setting, from my understanding.

Pixel Format just outputs in whichever format you select, and assumes that the videos are the same format too.

All of that processing garbage should almost always be turned off.

Smooth Video Playback is really the only one that should be turned on if you want to keep the fidelity of the original image.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #11 of 29 Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasekamoz View Post

Thank you all for your inputs. I thought that there were some general settings which are considered "the best or most useful" from people with knowledge of calibrations and such things.
@Bizzy G.L.X: I find it interesting that you have some settings turned ON, where i have read on a couple of sites they should be turned OFF. Like lockdown571 said:
I'm new to this but i have already calibrated my TV and because of that i am now looking for best possible settings in CCC.
For example:
1)Which setting here is considered the best?
3.png
2) Should i disable ITC processing?
1.png
3) Should i enable Dynamic Range? And the is it better full or limited?
2.png

Hey Zasekamoz,

As far as general settings that are the beste or most useful, those are dependent on your HDTV/codecs/playback software.

Generally, everyone is in agreement that the Basic Color settings and Color Vibrance, Flesh Tone Correction should be unchecked. I like the Brighter Whites effect, personally, but that's a personal preference. Try it out.

As far as Pixel Format, your TV is telling the Vision Control Center that it can accept all four settings, from video to full RGB, so that is a good thing.

Try Full RGB first, and then run thru the AVS 709 files to see if your blacks are getting crushed (nothing from Reference Black and higher appear in the Black Clipping video means you're getting black crush, revert back to YCbCr 4:4:4).

As far as Dynamic Range goes, to avoid conflict between your codecs and Vision, let your filters handle Dynamic Range. For example, here's how I have mine set in LAV Video:

Your ITC processing question...you got me on that one. Checkout these posts:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=312257

http://www.ozsource.com.au/source/software/what-is-itc-processing-ati/

Looks like it is a good thing to have ITC turned on to allow our TV's internal processors handle image processing, so leave that checked (mine was by default).

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #12 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Dynamic Range converts the video from 16-235 or 0-255 to the other setting, from my understanding.
Pixel Format just outputs in whichever format you select, and assumes that the videos are the same format too.
All of that processing garbage should almost always be turned off.
Smooth Video Playback is really the only one that should be turned on if you want to keep the fidelity of the original image.

I have Enforce Smooth Video Playback turned on which grays-out the Dynamic Range setting which is 0-255 by default. I can un-check Enforce Smooth Video Playback, change Dynamic Range to 16-235, then re-check Enforce Smooth Video Playback. This then grays-out the Dynamic Range setting of 16-235.

Does this mean Enforce Smooth Video Playback will use whichever Dynamic Range is grayed out?
Or will Enforce Smooth Video Playback use whatever it thinks is appropriate because the Dynamic Range is grayed out?
IOW does a grayed-out Dynamic Range mean it is disabled all together, or does it mean the grayed-out setting will apply?
post #13 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Enforce Smooth Video disables various post processing settings on the fly when more power is needed for decoding. I recommend disabling it.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Not sure this is the right thread to ask but you guys seem to know your stuff. I just bought an ATI 6450 to try out in my HTPC. I also have an Nvidia 430. After trying both for running 1080p mkv's, I can't say I see a lot of difference. I think I prefer the nvidia control panel only because it seemed a bit better layed out and it let me set custom refresh ratings which I couldn't figure out how to do on the ATI. Mostly I wanted to get as close to correct 24fps playback as possible.

Can you guys tell me if it is possible to send video out through the hdmi on the ATI, and audio out through the HDMI on my motherboard? I would like to give a try at sending the video directly through to the projector bypassing the receiver, but obviously I would need to get audio through to the receiver and I don't want to go optical.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #15 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

Not sure this is the right thread to ask but you guys seem to know your stuff. I just bought an ATI 6450 to try out in my HTPC. I also have an Nvidia 430. After trying both for running 1080p mkv's, I can't say I see a lot of difference. I think I prefer the nvidia control panel only because it seemed a bit better layed out and it let me set custom refresh ratings which I couldn't figure out how to do on the ATI. Mostly I wanted to get as close to correct 24fps playback as possible.
Can you guys tell me if it is possible to send video out through the hdmi on the ATI, and audio out through the HDMI on my motherboard? I would like to give a try at sending the video directly through to the projector bypassing the receiver, but obviously I would need to get audio through to the receiver and I don't want to go optical.

This should be easy. Just make sure the motherboard's audio drivers are installed, and chose that device for audio in the Windows control panel or your HTPC front end software.
post #16 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

I have turned off flesh tone correction too.
It made a huge difference to my BD/MKV playbacks...people had unusually rosy-green cheeks before that.

Same here.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #17 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Enforce Smooth Video disables various post processing settings on the fly when more power is needed for decoding. I recommend disabling it.

When Enforce Smooth Video Playback is checked several other adjustments are grayed out but still have settings in them. Does that mean that Enforce Smooth Video Playback ignores those gray settings, or uses them, or uses some other hidden settings in order to do its job?
post #18 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Tonight I'm trying to set my card up the way you recommend. Most of these settings are checked but they are greyed out and it won't let me change them.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #19 of 29 Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When Enforce Smooth Video Playback is checked several other adjustments are grayed out but still have settings in them. Does that mean that Enforce Smooth Video Playback ignores those gray settings, or uses them, or uses some other hidden settings in order to do its job?

I'm asking myself the same thing. I hope someone will come with answer.
post #20 of 29 Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Take Dynamic Range for example. If this is grayed out & the system doesn't use the settings then what does it use? AFAIK there is only 0-255 and 16-235 color. And if this is not grayed out one of those will be highlighted, but what if don't check the box? What's the difference between grayed out Dynamic Range settings being ignored and not checking the box?
post #21 of 29 Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Playing a DVD calibration disc on the HTPC or Blu-ray player produces the same black level, which means no blacker-than black.

I was wondering what happens when I display a jpg image. In this case I think you would want black all the way down to 0 just like when viewing on a PC monitor. I found a few jpg monitor calibration images online & the HDTV does display B-T-B when viewing these.

It makes me wonder if the Pixel Format and/or Dynamic Range settings only affect video, not still images. YCbCr supposed to be 16-235 color & maybe CCC only uses this for video & not jpg. That's just a guess, but again the jpg images do display B-T-B. This was with the grayed out 0-255 Dynamic Range.

I'm still searching for some definitive answers.
post #22 of 29 Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If a setting requires any post processing, the setting will be honored IF the video card has enough power to do the post processing after decoding the video. If the video card needs more power for decoding, it will begin ignoring post processing features (I'm not sure if it all/nothing or if it disables them one at a time).

A greyed out Dynamic Range setting means that your TV/monitor is reporting that it is only capable of accepting one range (may vary depending on your Pixel Format setting) and that is the one that will be used.
post #23 of 29 Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It makes me wonder if the Pixel Format and/or Dynamic Range settings only affect video, not still images.
Pixel Format affects all output from the video card. Dynamic Range only affects video playback (which is why it is in the "Video" section).
post #24 of 29 Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A greyed out Dynamic Range setting means that your TV/monitor is reporting that it is only capable of accepting one range (may vary depending on your Pixel Format setting) and that is the one that will be used.

But if I un-check Enforce Smooth Video Playback then the Dynamic Range does become enabled, and I can select either setting. And I tried several combinations of Dynamic Range & Pixel Formats. In fact I think I tried all 8 variations. I did not check actual black levels with all these combinations, but I was not locked out of any scenario. FWIW my HDTV can display blacker-than-black test patterns.
post #25 of 29 Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pixel Format affects all output from the video card. Dynamic Range only affects video playback (which is why it is in the "Video" section).

I thought about that. However I am using YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format which supposed to be 16-235 color. And yet the blacker-than-black does display from the jpg test patterns.

My video has proper 16 level blacks & yet the jpg test images go blacker, at least from all the experimenting I've done. Maybe I'm interpreting something wrong, but I've gone back & forth & checked several times & keep coming up with the same results.

I'm happy with the way things are working, but I'd like to know what these two parameters really control and how they interact with each other.
post #26 of 29 Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
Some helpful information here.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #27 of 29 Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Hi, i know that this is a kind of old tread, but i run on it searching for some solution. I rregistered here jut to reply to these thread.
Today i got my new graphic card: "Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OC 1GB DDR5 256B" and before this i had a nvidia geforce 9800 gt.
When i installed my new amd card i saw a drastic change of the picture quality in video playback, for worse (very worse). Then i tryed a lot of things on my pc, thinking that the cause could be hardware side.
I spent 3 hours searching on forums on how to change the settings in "Catalyst Control Center" in order to get the best possible picture quality in video playback for the amd cards.
I run on this thread and after diging i decided to do as the first reply of this thread wrote, and i couldn't believe my eyes, everything was fixed.
So guys uncheck all that shity options, let the video player handle the rest. If you do want to change something, change it on the settings of the video player.
I use "K lite Codes Pack" for 5 years now, i know pretty much about it and i'm very happy with it.
But as the others says before me, you have to calibrate your display first and latter try to change the handling of the video playback (again not in the CCC settings but in the video player setting)
Here are some screenshots of my CCC settings: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/zl4t4bh4kbodb/Catalyst_Control_Center_-_Settings
And here is a video i found on youtube for video playback optimization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejctZYYAkkk&feature=youtu.be
Hope i have helped someone a bit.
post #28 of 29 Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgest77 View Post
Hi, i know that this is a kind of old tread, but i run on it searching for some solution. I rregistered here jut to reply to these thread.
Today i got my new graphic card: "Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OC 1GB DDR5 256B" and before this i had a nvidia geforce 9800 gt.
When i installed my new amd card i saw a drastic change of the picture quality in video playback, for worse (very worse). Then i tryed a lot of things on my pc, thinking that the cause could be hardware side.
I spent 3 hours searching on forums on how to change the settings in "Catalyst Control Center" in order to get the best possible picture quality in video playback for the amd cards.
I run on this thread and after diging i decided to do as the first reply of this thread wrote, and i couldn't believe my eyes, everything was fixed.
So guys uncheck all that shity options, let the video player handle the rest. If you do want to change something, change it on the settings of the video player.
I use "K lite Codes Pack" for 5 years now, i know pretty much about it and i'm very happy with it.
But as the others says before me, you have to calibrate your display first and latter try to change the handling of the video playback (again not in the CCC settings but in the video player setting)
Here are some screenshots of my CCC settings: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/zl4t...ter_-_Settings
And here is a video i found on youtube for video playback optimization: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejctZ...ature=youtu.be
Hope i have helped someone a bit.
I know this is an old post but to help out anyone else viewing this thread, your video card is powerful enough for you not be bothering with Klite.

For the best video quality playback. http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc

Or use Kawaii which installs most of the above elements automatically.

http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthre...dec-Pack#k_inc
post #29 of 29 Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post
Part of that shootout will be enabling Deblocking and Mosquito Noise Reduction. Based on previous experience, I had these two cranked up to like 70 or 80, and they made a huge difference in smoothing out stuff that was not encoded well (XVIDs in AVIs, older WMVs, etc).
I just tried mosquito noise reduction and I am super impressed with how it cleans up older DVD's that went way too heavy on the edge enhancement and have ringing/halo artifacts all over the place. And it did it with no drawbacks that I could see. This setting should get more recognition. I was part of the "turn all of that garbage off" crowd too but this has converted me. The other post processing settings are still garbage though. I find the de-noise particularly awful with how it smears movement, ffdshow's denoise3d does an infinitely better job.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page