Tried everything Three Beeps question - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Tried everything Three Beeps question
Not the Momma!'s Avatar Not the Momma! 07:59 PM 09-28-2012
Guys,

To begin with frustrations upon frustrations is not how I wanted to start my HTPC build.

Here is the situation.

I have 2x2GB DDR3 1333 ram GSkill (compatible and checked with another computer that runs the same kind and voltage) Confirmed that this memory works
Intel i3 Ivy Bridge 3.3MHz 2500
MOBO I have used the ASROCK H67M (B3) but could not get it to post.

I purchased an Intel DH67BL and i can't get this one to post either and now I'm getting three beeps which I know means a Memory error.

But I don't get it. I've done everything that you can do to rectify this problem. I've tried the same ram in another computer, verified that it works, Used that ram in my computer build (still get 3 beeps)

I've reset the CMOS both hard and jumper NOTHING HAPPENS still 3 beeps.

So if its not the Ram it has to either be the Board (again? really?) the CPU (I feel thats doubtful) or the Power Supply.

My money is on the PSU. Why? Its probably a POS that was in that HEC case i bought.

Am I missing something here? I've spent the last few hours driving from store to store to get a new MOBO, and new Ram, and still nothing is progressing... Seriously Help.

btw... I've built dozens of computers in the past, i have never had this much trouble before. So i swear i'm not a noob, however If i did overlook something obvious please feel free to slap a Noob title on me, just so long as it solves the problem smile.gif

Not the Momma!'s Avatar Not the Momma! 05:50 AM 09-29-2012
OK had some clear headed thinking after last night's debacle... I didnt realize this, but apparently this Intel Board only supports Power Supplies of 460w or Higher... Given that this Case came with a 300w power supply, I'd be willing to say that this might be the culprit...

I just hope with all my failed attempts at trying to boot this, that I didnt do any damage...

One thing to note here, No where on the packaging or documentation did Intel Specify that it had to be 460w or higher... The only reason i knew that is i scoured Intel's support forums... Seriously they should list specs somewhere with their packaging.

grrr!

Will let you know if this makes it work! Crossing Fingers, rubbing rabbit foot, kissing lucky horse shoe... you get the idea...
Not the Momma!'s Avatar Not the Momma! 07:09 AM 09-29-2012
No Dice... I tried with a 500w PSU and still 3-beeps and no post. Repeated earlier steps of trying to seat ect...

Could i seriously have gotten another Bad Board?
walford's Avatar walford 07:44 AM 09-29-2012
3 Beeps does not mean memory problem on all MOBO's check with the Mobo documentation since your 3 beeps may mean CPU or graphics card. The power supply is not your problem, large power supplies such as over 300 watts are normally only required for systems with multiple disk drives or very powerfull graphic cards.
Make sure you new Mobo is not grounding on the case because the mounting riser are not tall enough. Try running unmounted in the case.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 07:53 AM 09-29-2012
If you suspect memory is the issue, why don't you switch out the memory modules? Power supply is not your issue since the components you listed barely need 150w of power.
Not the Momma!'s Avatar Not the Momma! 09:22 AM 09-29-2012
I've tried two different kinds of ram already. Still no dice on this. I will try un-mounted to case to see if its grounding some how... entirely possible that could be it. However on the Intel board it specifically says 3 beeps, memory error.

I tried remounting the old ASRock in there, and now when I connect the power I get 4 beeps. I then found out online that this basically means that the BIOS is incompatible with the current CPU.

So my option is to go to a store where they can flash the BIOS to 10.4 instead of 10.8 or go out and buy a Sandy Bridge i series processor.

Either way its going to be a PITA to find a place that has one, or someone that can flash.
assassin's Avatar assassin 11:45 AM 09-29-2012
Did you connect the 12v cpu power cable?
Not the Momma!'s Avatar Not the Momma! 12:36 PM 09-29-2012
Hello Assassin,

Nice to have you come across this thread. I did plug in the 12V cpu power cable. BUT.... UPDATE!!!!

I was able to get my ASROCK Board to work!! Here's the deal:

The ASROCK H67M series boards are not compatible with Ivy Bridge CPU's at least, as they are currently configured with the 10.8.15 BIOS on it. Because of this, even with the correct wiring, ram, ect... It will throw a beep code of 4-Beeps which goes back to CPU Error.

The Intel Board that I got, is not working and is displaying a 3 Beep Memory issue. My guess is that the board is faulty since I tried 3 different brands of the same Frequency Ram all confirmed to work, and it wouldn't work. The remote possibility that the Intel does work and its the processor compatibility is also up there, but I havnt tested it.

Here's my solution... I bought an Intel Sandy Bridge G630 CPU for the ASROCK (Unsure if I was to put that in the Intel if it work (Honestly, I'm not going to pull it back out to test it. I'm tired as all hell from the last 24 hours of troubleshooting this)

Assassin, I would perhaps put a disclaimer on the website regarding use of Ivy Bridge CPU's this early on in the game. There are some MOBO's out there (Intel ones even) that are not up to snuff or compatible to run them. Until then I think its best to stay with Sandy Bridge until this issue is resolved.

I am currently ripping BD's as I type this!
assassin's Avatar assassin 01:00 PM 09-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Momma! View Post

Hello Assassin,
Nice to have you come across this thread. I did plug in the 12V cpu power cable. BUT.... UPDATE!!!!
I was able to get my ASROCK Board to work!! Here's the deal:
The ASROCK H67M series boards are not compatible with Ivy Bridge CPU's at least, as they are currently configured with the 10.8.15 BIOS on it. Because of this, even with the correct wiring, ram, ect... It will throw a beep code of 4-Beeps which goes back to CPU Error.
The Intel Board that I got, is not working and is displaying a 3 Beep Memory issue. My guess is that the board is faulty since I tried 3 different brands of the same Frequency Ram all confirmed to work, and it wouldn't work. The remote possibility that the Intel does work and its the processor compatibility is also up there, but I havnt tested it.
Here's my solution... I bought an Intel Sandy Bridge G630 CPU for the ASROCK (Unsure if I was to put that in the Intel if it work (Honestly, I'm not going to pull it back out to test it. I'm tired as all hell from the last 24 hours of troubleshooting this)
Assassin, I would perhaps put a disclaimer on the website regarding use of Ivy Bridge CPU's this early on in the game. There are some MOBO's out there (Intel ones even) that are not up to snuff or compatible to run them. Until then I think its best to stay with Sandy Bridge until this issue is resolved.
I am currently ripping BD's as I type this!

All new products have that disclaimer as a rule rather than an exception. This is one of the downsides to using cutting edge technology.
Not the Momma!'s Avatar Not the Momma! 01:10 PM 09-29-2012
oh yea... Big headache... For sure... I just am kicking myself that I didnt buy the Sandy Bridge Processor instead... I could have saved a few bucks there.
DavidT99's Avatar DavidT99 01:21 PM 09-29-2012
As far as I am aware nearly all h67 mobo's will need a bios update to support ivy bridge, when I read your first post that's the first thing that sprang to mind.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

David
assassin's Avatar assassin 01:53 PM 09-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

As far as I am aware nearly all h67 mobo's will need a bios update to support ivy bridge, when I read your first post that's the first thing that sprang to mind.
Glad you got it sorted in the end.
David

I missed that in the first post.

Yes, using new tech (Ivy bridge) with "old" tech (Sandy bridge) will require a bios update to use the newer CPU.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 03:00 PM 09-29-2012
That's why I always buy processor and motherboard together. Intel pretty much force us to do that anyway by introduce new sockets every other year.
Tiddles88's Avatar Tiddles88 03:01 PM 09-29-2012
Using Ivy Bridge with Ivy Bridge needs a mobo update sometimes too. smile.gif

Witness, the Gigabyte H77M-D3H ships with the F6 BIOS . . . which doesn't support the new Ivy Bridge i3's. You need the F9 BIOS and a Sandy Bridge processor to flash it before you slap in the i3.
Up
Mobile  Desktop