video "tearing" in VLC on Windows 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-30-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using VLC successfully for a long time on XP. When I recently switched to windows 7, keeping all the hardware the same, I'm now getting "tearing" (the appearance of horizontal lines) on shots that have a lot of horizontal panning. I tried to find information about this on the web. One thing I found was the instruction to confirm that my windows 7 refresh rate matched my video card refresh rate. So my video card said 60 and windows 7 said 59. I set it to 60 in windows 7 and the screen went dark for a moment as though it were recalibrating, but afterward Windows 7 still said 59. I read somewhere else that this isn't important. It has to do with the real refresh rate which is a decimal somewhere between 59 and 60 and how the video card just rounds off the display differently than windows, but in reality they are the same rate. I don't know if that is true.

Anyway, any help appreciated. What should I try next to debug this issue?

Incidentally, if I give up on VLC, are there any other free video players that are known to work without issues on windows 7?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page