Way to use HTPC with Android remote and IR blaster to control receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This has probably been asked before, but is there a way to use my android phone as a universal remote to control not only my HTPC (I know that's possible), but also to then send IR signals to my Onkyo receiver using some type of IR blaster tied to my HTPC? I'm familiar with the Harmony options, but would like to not require line of sight and/or spend hundreds of dollars on something if it is possible with existing hardware. I am using WMC as my media center and an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver with an HTC Evo phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
There is the Redeye Remote from Thinkflood (www.thinkflood.com) which uses WiFi. An app on the 'droid/iDevice sends signals over wifi to a docking station/receiver/IR blaster which relays IR to the equipment.

Looks very interesting, I am considering ordering one as an alternative to replacing my Harmony One which was destroyed by a spilled glass of wine this weekend.

I am so fed up with the Harmony online setup software.

Anyone who is using the Red Eye?
post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Does your phone have CIR built-in? Not just IR, but CIR (consumer infrared)? If the answer is "yes", then yes, it is entirely possible.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #4 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 AM

Most phones do not have CIR built-in, but I'm wondering if you could make the camera flash out the IR codes and would these be viewable by the IR receivers. I'm just thinking out loud, so somebody tell me if I'm completely off-the-wall. BTW, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+ has built-in CIR and works quite well to control all of my A/V gear.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertubing View Post

Most phones do not have CIR built-in, but I'm wondering if you could make the camera flash out the IR codes and would these be viewable by the IR receivers. I'm just thinking out loud, so somebody tell me if I'm completely off-the-wall. BTW, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+ has built-in CIR and works quite well to control all of my A/V gear.

You are completely off-the-wall, LOL biggrin.gif

I use sony tablet s to control my A/V equipment. Works excellent, has learning remote function as well.

Before I used Visio tablet for this, but sold it and got myself sony tablet S.

New version is supposed to have macros etc.

post #6 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Check out iRule. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. You need the iRule software and one of the iTach IR emitters described in the hardware section.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Check out iRule. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. You need the iRule software and one of the iTach IR emitters described in the hardware section.

Yep, pretty cool - if it works.

Do they charge one-time fee or is it some kind of the subscription service?

post #8 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Yep, pretty cool - if it works.
Do they charge one-time fee or is it some kind of the subscription service?

One time fee AFAIK. They could conceivable charge for future updates.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Do tablets require line of sight to control IR only devices? I'd consider that as an option, provided it doesn't. All my equipment is stored in a different room than my projector and seating, so it has to be able to go through walls. I can't imagine I'm the only one using this setup, so what do most people do to control their HTPC as well as IR devices when line of sight is not an option? It's close enough that RF is an option as well as WiFi.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 352
They can work any way you want. Some use built-in IR or an add-on IR blaster. Others use wifi to a wifi-IR gateway device (iRule for example) as well as IP directly to IP devices. Not sure if one exists yet that has touchpad and remote functions for all devices. I personally use Hippo at the moment and recently got a Griffin beacon for $15 to play with. The most practical solution for me is still a traditional RF universal remote for most of my control and a touchpad/keyboard app for web browsing and searches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input, I had no idea most of these options existed. Another thing I would like is for the HTPC to be controled via WiFi, rather than IR. I don't have any type of IR input. I know IR is relatively cheap and easy to add via USB, but if any option has that feature, it would be a plus.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGRemakes View Post

Thank you all for your input, I had no idea most of these options existed. Another thing I would like is for the HTPC to be controled via WiFi, rather than IR. I don't have any type of IR input. I know IR is relatively cheap and easy to add via USB, but if any option has that feature, it would be a plus.

I know I can control XBMC directly over wifi with iRule using IP commands. This may be possible with WMC as well. Google is your friend smile.gif
post #13 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM

I use Eventghost with USBUIRT on PC and tablet. Very happy! and free...
post #14 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGRemakes View Post

The Ceton Companion (available for iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Nook, etc.) allows you to control your WMC from your phone or tablet. I use it myself, and am very happy with it.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #15 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Some great suggestions! The Ceton Companion looks like one of the better WMC remote apps out there. I like that you can do the guide and everything right from the phone. The Eventghost with USBUIRT option seems intriguing as well. It appears to be one of the "cheaper" options that would control everything. I didn't see much in the way of things that are already done to control WMC (I've been looking). I know it has virtually limitless possibilities, but I don't want to have to completely program it all. I also am liking the thought of using Eventghost to control lights and things from my phone.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio1967 View Post

I use Eventghost with USBUIRT on PC and tablet. Very happy! and free...

I'm wondering if you are able to control the equipment using this method? If so, you mind explaining how this would all work? I'm having a tough time finding a way to control not only the HTPC using USB-UIRT, but other IR equipment as well.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page