Need a smart freeware program to identify Duplicate files on Win7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've tried a few, but need something that knows, for example, a *.DOC and *.DOCX are the same file
same with *.MP3 and the various music formats.

I did searche Google and AVS, but there's quite a bit of experience on this group more in line with my preferences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Most duplicate file finders look at more than just the file name. In your .doc vs .docx file example, the files would also be different sizes do to different metadata etc. So what you're looking for is a dupe finder that only looks at file names and allows you to map file extensions to ignore differences? I haven't seen any prog that can do that.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I use Auslogics Duplicate finder which works great even for files with different file names/extensions or dates. However, unless your .doc and .docx file are bit for bit identical and just happen to have different extensions, I don't think you'll find a duplicate finder that can identify them for you.

There are plenty of music management software for identifying similar audio files based on metadata (e.g. if you have a track in multiple formats: flac, mp3, wma, m4a, etc). However, if you save the same document in say, Microsoft Word 97~2003 format (doc) and Microsoft Word 2007 format (docx) which are two completely different formats, you're probably on your own.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Of course as a one-off exercise you could just search for all files of certain types, then sort by size and manually find dupes. This may be very tedious though and if you had the same song in FLAC and mp3, you wouldn't spot it (for example).
post #5 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

Of course as a one-off exercise you could just search for all files of certain types, then sort by size and manually find dupes. This may be very tedious though and if you had the same song in FLAC and mp3, you wouldn't spot it (for example).

Music is easy. There are plenty of music management software you can use to sort them (assuming your metadata and ID3 tags are in order).

It's having, for example, doc, docx, odt, pdf, etc versions of the same document that becomes tedious.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

I use Auslogics Duplicate finder which works great even for files with different file names/extensions or dates. However, unless your .doc and .docx file are bit for bit identical and just happen to have different extensions, I don't think you'll find a duplicate finder that can identify them for you.
There are plenty of music management software for identifying similar audio files based on metadata (e.g. if you have a track in multiple formats: flac, mp3, wma, m4a, etc). However, if you save the same document in say, Microsoft Word 97~2003 format (doc) and Microsoft Word 2007 format (docx) which are two completely different formats, you're probably on your own.

I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you. I thought this exercise would be "easy".
post #8 of 10 Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 10
Duplicate Files Deleter can help you on this.Check their website, you have all info there. Finds, removes duplicates safely and mantains the performance of your computer.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10

Remove all the unwanted, duplicated files from your machine. Software name is DuplicateFilesDeleter.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Thank you. I thought this exercise would be "easy".

I have some old school, semi-manual ways I've done this using dos commands to "print" a directory file list to a text file that can be parsed in Excel, and then use IF/THEN functions to check for duplications and flag them. It can be done for all files, specific directories and subdirectories, and/or specific file extensions. PM me if you'd like me to walk you through it over the phone. It's a little late tonight, and I have a family commitment after work tomorrow, but I can find the time sometime over the next few days.

Note this is just for duplicate filenames, but it would allow you to find the same name with different extensions. I've not done this for metadata.

There are probably some ways to automate this type of task that I'm not aware of, but I know this will work.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page