AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

B75 is roughly the H61 equivalent.

But it's not as good as Z68/ H77 or Z77... which are not really more expensive.

My point is for $5 or $10 difference and still under $80 total price a better chipset makes sense IMO.

I own that Asrock H61 and it's great, but it won't run the higher memory clock you see on most DDR3 today- and I believe the alternatives I suggested offer better quality and performance.
The Sata III controller is certainly better on the new chipset- as is the USB3.0 controller - both native to the better chipset and add on's for the H61 which makes me think reliability and simplicity here add additional value.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

But it's not as good as Z68/ H77 or Z77... which are not really more expensive.
My point is for $5 or $10 difference and still under $80 total price a better chipset makes sense IMO.
I own that Asrock H61 and it's great, but it won't run the higher memory clock you see on most DDR3 today- and I believe the alternatives I suggested offer better quality and performance.
The Sata III controller is certainly better on the new chipset- as is the USB3.0 controller - both native to the better chipset and add on's for the H61 which makes me think reliability and simplicity here add additional value.

B75 can do those things. I was talking that the B75 is the lowest price point.

It does SATAIII and USB 3.0.

240876_chipset-chart.png
post #93 of 96 Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

At this point the H61 is an older more limited chipset and H77 or Z77 is newer.
Or look for a great deal on a Z68. They are newer/faster/better... and still available under $80 making them a good choice.
I have that exact motherboard ( a few of them) but for $65 I would spend another $10 or $15 for something newer now...

I ended up going with the ASRock H77M. As you said, the specs are better in many ways and there's very little price bump.
Quote:
SLight over on the PSU is not going to hurt much... but it's not needed either.
Usually any 400 watt PSU is a good choice. Don't think you should get 600 watt.

Too late on that. smile.gif Unneeded capacity sure, but the modular cable design is nice for tight spaces, and it seems to be a very quiet unit. (Not that I've heard any particularly noice PSU's.) The system is using just the CPU and PSU fans and is running cool and virtually inaudible. There doesn't seem to be a need to add any more case fans like I had originally planned.

Dan
post #94 of 96 Old 11-22-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

In hindsight, limiting the motherboard options to those with Intel on-board graphics may have been unnecessary. It appears I need to go with a separate video card, anyway.

Problem #1: The Sony 1040Q projector can only accept 480i (320x240), and that resolution isn't natively supported by the computer.

My attempts to add 320x240 (with xrandr) have blown up so far... I can successfully add the option, but selecting it kills all video output (to both the DVI monitor and the VGA projector). I figured having the monitor running off of DVI, as opposed to sharing the projector's VGA-out via a splitter, would keep the 320x240 projector settings from affecting it, but no.

Problem #2: The Barco 708s projector requires a Component input. All of the video cards I've seen with TV-OUT use the s-video dongle. Some people say that is limited to 480i, others say it can support the full 1080p. I don't know which to believe... Also, I've yet to see an example of how that actually connects to 3-ch Component, as all the pictures I've found are s-video at both ends of the cable.

The DVI monitor and Barco projector both support 1280x1024, so I could easily run them as mirrored monitors (haven't had much success figuring out how to run dual displays that aren't mirrored ... every attempt loses essential controls on the primary) if only I could get the cabling sorted out.

Does anyone know of a video card that can support both 320x240 and Component output, so I can use it with either projector? It also needs to work with Linux Mint, of course, since that's what I went with.

Dan
post #95 of 96 Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 915
It's probably easier to replace the projector honestly...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 96 Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's probably easier to replace the projector honestly...

Which one? There are two separate projectors in #1 and #2. I'm okay with replacing the Sony, assuming I get the Barco repaired and can get it reassembled, but I have no interest in replacing the Barco. I'll scrap the HTPC idea before I go that route.

Dan
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page