questions on a XBMC build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to build an xbmc htpc for my sister and load it up with loads of content and get the Iplayer add on etc. The most tasking thing will be 1080p mkv files and would like a good skin like Aeon. It all needs to be under £400. Build I have so far is:

Celeron G540 MSI H61I-E35 (H61) 4gb DDR 1600 Silverstone Milo ML03 SapphireHD 6540 WD caviar green 2tb

This comes to 300 quid and then I will probably get a 90w Pico psu.

1) Do I really need the gfx card?

2) is there any situation (gfx card/no gfx card) that I wouldn't get sound over HDMI on this mobo?

3)is there a way to setup xbmc so all the artwork/thumbs etc get saved on a seperate ssd, as I would like to have a small ssd with Win7 on and all the artwork and have JUST my video content on the big hard drive. I'm under the impression this would speed up browsing through the library with covers etc a lot faster?

4) how small can u strip a Win7 install down to?

Thanks for any advice and let me know if I've overlooked anything. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can't comment much on the hardware. I only have the OS and some programs on my SSD, all the metadata and artwork are on mechanical drives with the movie (allows me to use either mediabrowser or xbmc). It seems to work fine.

Is your sister competent with this kind of stuff (HTPC, HT stuff)? My friend wanted me to setup xbmc for him and I told him I'd help him do it while teaching him how but I wouldn't do it for him. This isn't the same as hooking up a receiver or calibrating a tv and then leaving. I constantly have to fix or tweak stuff on my system....I'd guess that most of us have to tweak the system as updates come out. If the person getting the HTPC isn't familiar with or interested in learning this stuff they should stay away from it and just use something like a WD live tv or roku. HTPC is not simple plug and play.