Core i3 interlacing performance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I've already read serveral threads here and need some help with the setup for my new HTPC:

Mainly I'am planning to use it for Live TV streams of 1080i TS from my Dreambox. At the moment this job is done by an old iMac from 2008 using XBMC.

VDADecode does not work in this situation because the streams are interlaced, so the CPU has to do all the job and this is too much for that machine

Can somebody state something about the CPU load of an Core i3 when decoding 1080i streams without DXVA? I want to build a SFF HTPC without a discrete GPU so for me it is quite important that the wokload of the CPU is as low as possible.

I know that the decoding of 1080p material will hardly stress that CPU

Regards

Stephan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuchs77 View Post

Hi there,
I've already read serveral threads here and need some help with the setup for my new HTPC:
Mainly I'am planning to use it for Live TV streams of 1080i TS from my Dreambox. At the moment this job is done by an old iMac from 2008 using XBMC.
VDADecode does not work in this situation because the streams are interlaced, so the CPU has to do all the job and this is too much for that machine
Can somebody state something about the CPU load of an Core i3 when decoding 1080i streams without DXVA? I want to build a SFF HTPC without a discrete GPU so for me it is quite important that the wokload of the CPU is as low as possible.
I know that the decoding of 1080p material will hardly stress that CPU
Regards
Stephan

Why are you avoiding DXVA ? The HD 3000 and HD 4000 on-die Intel GPUs will de-interlace in DXVA. I have a Windows Media Centre based on a Sandy Bridge Pentium (less powerful than an i3) and it's de-interlacing 576/50i MPEG2 and 1080/50i H264 DVB-S/S2 streams - both from a Dreambox and an internal card - with no major problems. I wouldn't describe it as Vector Adaptive quality - but it's certainly no worse than the internal de-interlacers in some set top boxes.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page