Having diffaculty installing my new HDD as a storage drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Having diffaculty installing my new HDD as a storage drive.

here's what I've done
1.powered down PC then unplugged.

2. inserted the new HDD in the front mount tray and pressed it into case.

3.booted up.

4.startright click computer

5.disk management.

6.never saw the HDD initiaize wizard.

I am assumming there is a 12V power wire connected to the backplane of tray because I heard the HDD make a wize noise.

since I didnt get to the initiaize wizard doe's this mean there is no SATA wire connected to back plane of tray?

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Neither your description nor your signature indicate the case or the "front mount tray" you placed this HDD into. You're acting like it's a HOT SWAP drive bay, is it? What OS? What HDD capacity?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the drive show up in BIOS
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Neither your description nor your signature indicate the case or the "front mount tray" you placed this HDD into. You're acting like it's a HOT SWAP drive bay, is it? What OS? What HDD capacity?

acerhdd.jpg

I assummed it was a HOT SWAP drive bay becauce the MOBO has 6 SATA ports and there are 3 wires connected OS HDD, DVD and tray.I assumme the 3rd SATA cable is for the tray I have never physicalley traced it.

windows 7 64 bit.

new HDD is 2TB dam I'm kindof feeling real stupid not verifiying if mt MOBO can surport this size drive.

http://www.support.acer.com/acerpanam/Manuals/acer/2010/ServiceGuides/SG_Aspire_M3910_Book_03272010.pdf

Thanks STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post

Does the drive show up in BIOS
I check the BIOS
AHCI port 1 HDD
AHCI port2 ATAPI CDROM
3 not detected
4 not detected
port 5 HDD
port6 not detected

so the bios is detecting 2 HDD previously I only had one HDD

edit when I got to unallocatedspace I did see a 1862.0GB drive so thats the new 2TB HDD I was expecting the initiazie wizard prior ?

I don't see this drive in my computer probabley because I haven't assigned a drive letter correct?
Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That HDD is properly "in"? Hot swap bay properly connected via SATA and power? Shows up in BIOS? Is set to AHCI in BIOS?

If you are running Win 7, 2TB size is irrelevant.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

That HDD is properly "in"?YES Hot swap bay properly connected via SATA and power?UNVERIFIED Shows up in BIOS?YES Is set to AHCI in BIOS?YES
If you are running Win 7,YES W7 2TB size is irrelevant.
Responses capitalized & bolded
Thanks STB

Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Check the hot swap bay connection - there should be a thin connection running to the motherboard, and there should be a fatter flat cable running from the PSU to the bay. Both should be firmly plugged in.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK Tiddles88 I'll check the connections for snugness later today and report back w/ results.

I used the tray for convenience (my PC is located behind TV inside a big wooden cabenit. it's kindof a PITA to remove PC.

I'm concidering obtaining a SATA data cable what's the differce between the cables w/ the metal clip VS. the none metal clip type that my PC came w/ ?

Thanks STB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-17-Red-High-Speed-Sata-Data-Cable-Straight-to-Right-For-PC-New-/300756132343?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item46067661f7

Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

edit when I got to unallocatedspace I did see a 1862.0GB drive so thats the new 2TB HDD I was expecting the initiazie wizard prior ?

The drive is there and windows sees it. You need to create and format the partition.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post

The drive is there and windows sees it. You need to create and format the partition.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition
OK Yraen I never used admin privliages will try you'r advice.

which option should I choose in step 7.

Thanks STB

7.In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:

If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.

To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

I'n thinking To format the volume with the default settings, click Next. since I'm not partitioning this HD.

Yraen thanks alot for the assittance I now have 1.81TB X drive however W7 has labled it as a new volumne I'm assumming voulmn and HDD are the same thing?

looks like the other HDDs have healthy partions what is this for for the HDD creates bad sectors the data is automatically moved to the healthy partion?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 AM

Windows labeling it New Volume is default. You can change the name if you want, it won't affect performance either way. As for the Healthy Partition, this is what you want to see. This means all is well. I can't really say how current operating systems handle bad sectors as I haven't had a bad sector in probably 15 years, just had drives die completely (it's very rare, mostly the become too small by the current standard and get replaced).
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 1TB OS HDD that came w/ my PC allocation slot is divided by three (from left to right)

1. 17.00 GB healthy recovery partition it's highlighted w/ diangle lines w/in the slot.

2.SYSTEM R 100MB NT Healthy (5;

3.Acer (C) 914.41 GB NTFS Healthy( boot,page file, crash Dump

My new 2TB internal HDD that you just helped me format, has not been partitioned I'm assumming this is why the new drive allocated slot is'nt divided as my C/ drive is.

it's slot new volumne X 1863.01 GB NTFS Healthy (healthy primary partion)

is it recommended to partion this stoage drive?

if yes should healthy recovery partion be twice the size as 1TB OS HDD at 34 GB

Thanks STB

Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 AM

The recovery partition is what holds the windows recovery data from your system manufacturer. This enables their "restore to default factory settings", whatever they may call it. They do this so they don't have to ship a windows disc with the computer. Unfortunately, this will not restore any programs you've installed since you got the computer.

The system partition is what windows creates when you install it. This is where some system files reside. It's best to not mess with this partition.

The Acer partition is your C: drive. When they created this partition they gave it the name Acer instead of New Volume. Windows, Program Files and everything you have installed or copied or downloaded to the computer (before the new drive) resides on this partition.

Your new drive has been partitioned, it just has one partition on it. You partition a drive before you format it. You don't need more than one partition unless you want to break it up into smaller drives. Each partition will get it's own drive letter under My Computer. Some people like to name partitions for what they place on them (pictures, music, movies, games, recordings, etc) while others just like one large partition, the choice is yours.

Under Disk Management the diagonal lines you see on a partition just means that partition is selected. You can shrink or extend a partition size here, so if you decide to make more than one partition on your new drive, shrink the current partition to the size you want it to be and create new partition(s) in the unallocated space. Be careful though, if you shrink it smaller than your current data on it, you may lose some (never tried it myself).

A recovery partition does nothing for you here. There is no magic recovery by having a partition named recovery partition. If you're wanting some type of backup in place, I'd look into one of the RAID options that exist, or an external that backs up nightly.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Realize while you can create multiple partitions on the same physical drive, they're all on the same physical drive thus if the drive crashes all logical drives may lose data! Playing with partitions is more of a multi-BOOT configuration than an organization thing since you can create folders with the names Pictures, Videos, etc. without having to fool with Disc Management. Oh, and until Win 7, it was a PITA to reallocate partition sizes (although there were some third-party utilities available).
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No reason to divide a modern drive with a modern OS into more than 1 partition (save for system partitions on the boot drive).
Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

I've gotten to step 3 when I click unallocated region the new volume is'nt highlighted so I can't use the wizard.

edit again in disk management there's a black horizontal bar in the unallocated area there are diaangle lines and the drives size of 1862.36 is being displayed.

Thanks for any help STB

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
  4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
  5. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
  6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
<li class="step">
  1. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
  2. If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
  • To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
  1. Review your choices, and then click Finish.
edit I've also tryed this
right click my computer
manage
disk managemnet

I get a message
you must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it

there are 2 choices MBR master boot record
and GPT guid partition table

I tryed both and get this message
the media is write protected

I'm thinking this HDD may need to be formatted because in disk management the file sys. is RAW not NFTS like my other HDDs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newhdd.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	199889  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 08-06-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Try this: http://pario.no/2011/05/23/clear-rea...sing-diskpart/
except with Disk 5 instead of Disk 1, of course.