would having tv shows located on desktop and movie folders located on server slow down mediabrowser on HTPC ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Currently- I have a 3TB green Drive installed on my desktop. It stores all my TV SHOWS.

I do this because I tend to manage content on the desktop and the HTPC is for viewing only.

I have movie folders on my server set up to read from mediabrowser for all sorts of stuff. Example: HD MOVIES, SD moves, Bluray rips, Disney Collection, Christmas movies... etc..

So when I open mediabrowser it pulls movies from server and TV shows from Desktop.

We watch and use both about 50/50

Wondering if network traffic or refresh times are slower or faster doing it this way... vs. storing the TV shows on the server too

Thoughts?

I ask because sometimes it seems slow to pull new data

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Depends. If you are pulling movies off the server with limited other trafic, you won't see it.

I record OTA to the HTPC and that raw movie is transferred to the Server (WMC option, set up using extras)
The OTA show is also run through MCEbuddy on the HTPC, output to MP4. The output is stored on the HTPC in a unique folder.
This is set up per Assassin's guides. About once a week I'll copy all new MP4s over to the Server. Frequently the MP4 to server
is a 30G+ transfer, and at that time the HD Prime signal will show interference.

BTW, I have a less than optimal netwoork between the FR HTPC and the server/Network HD Prime Tuner. The signal goes
through a router and two switches. The Attic/craw space is just cooling down to where I can run a direct line from the FR router to
the switch in the Server Room
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
My desktop is always on. It's a decent machine. My server also runs 24/7

I only keep the TV shows on the desktop hardrive because I find I am constantly updating it- as new shows... and such.

I like to keep up on it with mediamaster, and almost every week new episodes are added and such...

for some reason I have issue running mediamaster on my desktop with content stored on the server.

wondering if the traffic to the HTPC coming from the server and desktop slow things down or not.... sometimes my TV shows populate slow

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

...BTW, I have a less than optimal netwoork between the FR HTPC and the server/Network HD Prime Tuner. The signal goes
through a router and two switches....

As long as the server is not streaming to multiple HTPC, network switches will not slow down the link. Unlike ethernet hub technology used years ago, switching fabric chip does a port to port switch. So the link does not get mixed with other traffic on the network.

A modern router would implement the switching function separately inside so the routing function should not interfere with switching function.

My server MB has two gigabit ethernet ports but I doubt that my server traffic actually needs them.

I use a single 1Gb cable link between two segment of my network. All traffic between the two segments go thru this link and it works ok.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Interesting. So would I be gaining anything, then, by cutting out 100 yards of Ethernet cable?

As of now, the Server is located at the end of two long runs: 1st from the FR where the Router/HTPC
resides out to an Observatory (100 yards)) 2nd run (100 yards) from the Observatory back into the house.
I was going to branch the Observatory AND the Server on stand alone lines from the Router. I would have
to run a new line through the attic/crawlspace to accomplish this
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 14
Long runs are not desirable due to the amount of heat the switch will generate driving the long line. If the server is in the house then it is better for it to be attached to the switch in the house. I only have one long run between upstairs and downstairs.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page