remote control options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Currently I'm using a logitech remote control to work my HTPC. I really like it, but the rest of my family doesn't find it as user friendly. I have a really basic windows remote with a center mouse pad that they seem to like. It bugs the heck out of me that I can't turn off the tv or work the audio system with it. Is there something in between the two. Here's what I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349726414&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+remote

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-600-Universal-Remote/dp/B003JSLP54/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349726587&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I think you should hide the MCE remote and program the harmony so they will like it. Arrange the functions as best you can to match the MCE remote. Also have them use the MCE remote and the Harmony remote in a dark room and ask which one they like better.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

We are dealing with a wife and kids. The mouse pad is better than mapped buttons. I prefer the Logitech myself but when someone presses a wrong button and you have to go through the watch tv sequence it is a pain.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I picked up a couple of Logitech diNovo mini's to control my home theater PC's. My 6 year old son learned it with very little training from me. My wife likes it, too. I also have a harmony 620 for both systems. It took some time, but they've adapted to it.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I've got a Harmony One programmed for use with WMC. I didn't have to remap any buttons for the features I need. It also controls my TV and my preamp/processor. For text input I use a Lenovo 5902 keyboard/trackball remote. The only downside is the lack of function keys, but otherwise it works great.

I've used standalone keyboards and mice and the DiNovo Mini as well as a multitude of other universal remotes and the Harmony One and Lenovo 5902 seem to work the best for me. I never cared much for the DiNovo Mini. The keys are too small for me and the backlight never stayed on long enough so I could read the keyboard in the dark. I'm sure there's probably a way to adjust the length of time it stayed on, but I just never got around to setting it up. Lots of people seem to like it so it's obviously a matter of personal preeference.

I like the Lenovo because it's an RF remote that works immediately upon power-on and doesn't need Windows to be running in order to use it, which is why I hate Bluetooth keyboards and mice. This is important if you need to access the BIOS screens, unless your BIOS requires you to press a function key to access it, then you're screwed. Fortunately, most PCs allow BIOS access by pressing the Delete key. With the DiNovo Mini I had to connect a regular keyboard prior to booting to get into the BIOS.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM

So the wife and kids like the MCE remote because of the mouse pad? What do they need the mouse for?
post #7 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefejt View Post

Currently I'm using a logitech remote control to work my HTPC. I really like it, but the rest of my family doesn't find it as user friendly. I have a really basic windows remote with a center mouse pad that they seem to like. It bugs the heck out of me that I can't turn off the tv or work the audio system with it. Is there something in between the two. Here's what I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349726414&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+remote
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-600-Universal-Remote/dp/B003JSLP54/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349726587&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+600
I have the same MCE Remote from amazon and it works great. Unfortunately...the IR Rec will not work with my harmony 700. Did you have to do anything special?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

I have the same MCE Remote from amazon and it works great. Unfortunately...the IR Rec will not work with my harmony 700. Did you have to do anything special?
Nope. Works fine with any universal. Just pick ortek vrc-1100 or adesso arc-1100. Both profiles have all the commands except the mouse. It doesn't use MCE RC-6 protocol but Ortek protocol instead. So any profile for windows, MCE, or xbox won't work. That may be your problem.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sweet! I will give this a try tonight!
post #10 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I would just do his and her remotes

post #11 of 13 Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefejt View Post

I have used the same Adesso remote, but switched over to Logitech. There is absolutely no need for the mouse function in WMC. If I need to get into Windows for maintenance or hardware/software change, I use a wireless mouse and keyboard, or just plug one in for the duration when I need to do any maintenance in windows.

Edit: It does not use Microsoft Windows Media Center profile, but when I did the "learn" function on logitech, it only took like 3 different button pushes for it to find the profile. All WMC functions work.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #12 of 13 Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a similar issue. It may seem like a lot, but bear with me. I have a basic harmony xbox 360 remote that does all the basics, but besides me the only thing people use it for is to turn everything on. Then I have setup a tivo remote using eventghost. This does the vast majority of the controlling for the average user and it is great because with Evenghost you can program any button to do what ever it is you want. For example the thumbs down is the back button and the thumbs up button is programed to bring MCE to the front and maximize it if anything goes astray. Then I have a separate keyboard/mouse combination hidden in the coffee table that I can pull out if I want to control it like a regular computer.

Bottom line is the average user uses the harmony to turn everything on and then uses the tivo remote which they are familiar with since we had a Tivo before the MCE.

And if you really want a keyboard then you can get the Tivo Slide that has a built in keyboard.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 AM

Liked: 18
A smart phone or tablet, or all of them hooked up with remote control software like unified remote is good. I also have logitech harmony link to deal with the infrared. You got everything right there, keyboard, mouse, WMC remotes, any other random remote, can even turn the computer on with a wake on lan signal. You can also customize the harmony link remote so it just has the buttons they want to use most on there. I remapped my android smart phones so harmony link is on the lock screen so its really quick to go right too it.

The other thing is if you like the harmony and they like the WMC remote why is it not OK to just let them use that, I get you dont want them to mess up with the harmony but if they have their own remote they dont need to touch it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page