Low profile PCI express video card with HDMI output w/audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the best recommendation for a low profile pci express video card that has HDMI output with audio?

I have a PC with IGP, but it uses displayport. Now I find out that displayport doesnt support HDCP in WMC. All of the hardware is compatible, but not the software...so much for my research beforehand.

I'm looking for something that will be the least headache, most trouble-free to use. I've heard ATIs support audio so I was leaning that way.

Any particular model or brand anyone would recommend?

I don't need 3d support...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Radeon HD 6450: $15 after rebate at newegg at the moment. Audio and HDCP works great. Windows dialogs say it's only 2.0 channels, but you really get 5.1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you gaming with this machine? If not, there probably isn't going to be much difference with any video card you can get new at this point. I put this one in my HTPC:

MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 520 (Fermi) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

I don't think they even make it any more, but I got it for about $30 after rebate and its handled everything I've thrown at it without a problem (I don't game or do 3-D). Even handles putting video out to two monitors (cloned) without an issue.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Asus GT-420430 Fermi.

Comes in low profile with a fan and "medium" profile with a heat sync.

I have the latter.. Works with MadVR.

post #5 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Low profile GTX 650, non TI version. When MadVR replacements comes out, you'll be ready. Otherwise, the GT 640. These are Kepler cards, I would not buy Fermi ( GT 420) simply because they have been replaced.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

No reason to spend more money as the GT 430 works perfectly with the current version of MadVR. Madishi said himself that updates to MadVR are on the back burner to projects that actually pay his bills and that it could be months or years or even may never come to fruition. No reason to spend more money simply because the GT 430 has been replaced.

And cards capable for any future MadVR will be cheaper then so you spend $60 now and $60 then if it ever comes out. It's a win-win.

post #7 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

No reason to spend more money as the GT 430 works perfectly with the current version of MadVR. Madishi said himself that updates to MadVR are on the back burner to projects that actually pay his bills and that it could be months or years or even may never come to fruition. No reason to spend more money simply because the GT 430 has been replaced.
And cards capable for any future MadVR will be cheaper then so you spend $60 now and $60 then if it ever comes out. It's a win-win.

Although I don't use Madvr personally this is just another reason to float some money Madshi's way if you believe and use his product.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The GTX 650 smashes the 430 in any gaming benchmark or anything that can make use of CUDA acceleration. Its not just for HTPC use. Its also more efficient. I would never buy old models when the replacement is out and I'm looking to buy otherwise there were few differences. There are more than a few differences here.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Although I don't use Madvr personally this is just another reason to float some money Madshi's way if you believe and use his product.

True. Where does one donate?

post #10 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

The GTX 650 smashes the 430 in any gaming benchmark or anything that can make use of CUDA acceleration. Its not just for HTPC use. Its also more efficient. I would never buy old models when the replacement is out and I'm looking to buy otherwise there were few differences. There are more than a few differences here.

Gaming wasn't mentioned by the OP but not needing 3d support was.

I am of the opinion that I get the least thing that meets the specifications of what I am trying to accomplish. Some (a lot) here would say that is the iGPU which is true for most applications. MadVR isn't even needed and can even run on the iGPU until you run into 29/30 content where it stutters.

There is a whole separate forum on avs for gaming HTPC's. This is straight up HTPC.

post #11 of 24 Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I won't be doing any gaming. This is going to replace my tivo, and and I have an hd home run prime.

Can anyone confirm the nvidia cards have audio? I read an spdif connection is needed for them and not the atis.
I will spend more on a better Gpu if needed, but it will only be for tv use.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Madishi said himself that updates to MadVR are on the back burner to projects that actually pay his bills and that it could be months or years or even may never come to fruition.

In case you haven't noticed, he has been quite active on madVR for two weeks again now, new versions every few days, and new features - including a new resizing algorithm which uses quite a bit more GPU power then the other ones, so the idea to not buy the lowest possible would pay off here. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post

Can anyone confirm the nvidia cards have audio? I read an spdif connection is needed for them and not the atis.
All recent nvidia cards have full HDMI audio, no spdif or anything like that required. This includes everything from 4xx and up.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update Nev. I've been enjoying MadVR with my GT 430 for a while now but when the time is there I guess I'll upgrade. With this new information I stand corrected and recommend that the OP take this under consideration when choosing a new video card.

BTW, will current updates over-stress my GT-430 or can I stick with it a while longer? I usually wait until h/w is a bit older before buying because I prefer a few more bucks in my account so I'm thinking of putting off a GTX 650 for a while longer. Also, in searching gor the GTX 650 I see it is a dual card. I'm not sure if that will fit in my HTPC case and don't need two monitors in my family room theater. Is there a single card?

post #14 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post

I won't be doing any gaming. This is going to replace my tivo, and and I have an hd home run prime.
I will spend more on a better Gpu if needed, but it will only be for tv use.

I get audio on mine. I can't say everything that is passed, but I know it's 5.1 and I've seen one of the higher digital formats (DTS-HD or something) show up on the read out on my AVR.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

I hate to thread jack, but can someone explain what MadVR is and why one would use it?
post #16 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a GPU assisted video renderer written by a programer in Germany named Madshi.. hence the name Mad(shi)V(ideo)R(enderer).

post #17 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

This is a single slot full height GTX 650 (non TI):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133471

You'll need some room for the fan.

EDIT: Irritatingly, it has mini-HDMI output. Looks like we'll need to wait for more models.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

That^^ is not a low profile card so it may not fit in my case. Hopefully some fanless cards are forthcoming too.

On another thread I saw the GT-640 recommended for 4k 3d coming down the pike. How does this compare to the GTX-650?

post #19 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That^^ is not a low profile card so it may not fit in my case. Hopefully some fanless cards are forthcoming too.
On another thread I saw the GT-640 recommended for 4k 3d coming down the pike. How does this compare to the GTX-650?

Low profile are coming. These cards are less than a month old. The GT 640 is further gimped. I'd take a GTX over it any day. It will have the little bit extra left in the tank while the 640 will have run out of puff.

On a side note, my next HTPC build will be in a GD05, I can't stand the concessions a lot of HTPC cases force on you.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not game nor do I care much for 3D (or even have a 3D HDTV) and the PQ looks fantastic as it is with the GT-430 and MadVR so I'm wondering why I would even need to do this?

post #21 of 24 Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Radeon HD 6450: $15 after rebate at newegg at the moment. Audio and HDCP works great. Windows dialogs say it's only 2.0 channels, but you really get 5.1.

+1 for a non-gaming, non-madVR, just give me the basics HTPC.

post #22 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Has anyone gotten the 6450 to do audio at 96/24 in two channels? I download a fair amount of hi-rez music and play it in Winamp which recognizes it as 96/24, and my Integra DHC-80 does recognize higher bit rates from the on-board hdmi with multi-channel, but only 48/16 or 24 (it doesn't indicate which) on 2 channel material. So I surmise my on-board RealTek sound card is down-rezing it on 2 channel and am thinking of replacing it with a 6450. Other suggestions welcomed, but I'm trying to avoid fans for noise reasons.

Thanks
post #23 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 370
No problem here (HD 6450, foobar2000+WASAPI plugin). Are you using WASAPI exclusive mode? In WASAPI shared mode (the default mode), Windows audio engine will alter sampling rate / bit depth / channel count.

-

-
post #24 of 24 Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
FWIW for anyone looking for same stuff OP did, I sometimes see system pull Radeon 6450s on ebay for $20~30 shipped that are low profile with a full length fanless heatsink.
(most others either have those tiny screamer fans that love to die to dust, or are like that XFX board and use a heatsink that violates the low profile size)

They always have 1 hdmi and 1 full size displayport, and for some reason the heatsink is red. Only some have the half bracket though.

They work well, although I grab them as a nice cheap way to add displayport to older corporate boxes.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page