HTPC case decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on building an HTPC but can't decide on what case to start off with. The two I like are SilverStone GD08 and Lian Li PC-C60. They look almost identical. Anyone own any of these?

Also does anyone still use the IMON displays that fit into one of the 5.25 bays? I can't even find a place that sells these. I know they're not necessary but it would dress the case up a little with some info displayed.

SilverStone GD08
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=331&area=en

Lian Li PC-C60
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=580&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I recently built my HTPC using the Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 case. It seems similar to the case you are referencing except that it only has one external 5.25" bay, only supports up to Micro-ATX boards, and it is smaller. The GD08 seems rather large; it would be too large for my setup. I'm sure you have considered the case size, but I mention it on the off chance that you have not measured your space. Also, bear in mind that you will need some space for the fans/venting to work properly.

The only issue that I had with the GD05 case (and it really is not the fault of the case) is that the case fans must be plugged into the motherboard for PWM to work. My motherboard only had one case fan header pin. It would have been beneficial if the fans had a switch to reduce the fan speed. You will need 3 case fan header pins on your motherboard for PWM function to work properly. Of course, the GD05 case came with a molex adapter to plug the fans directly into the power supply. However, the fans then operate at full power, which I found to be too noisy. So, I replaced all of the fans with Antect TrueQuiet 120 mm fans that have a switch to reduce the fan operation to low power. The HTPC is now near silent and stays cool.

I'm not sure what information is displayed through the IMON interface. However, I can say that with all of the gear that I have up by my HDTV in the living room, including HTPC, media server, cable modem, router, switch, AVR receiver, Blu-Ray player, and Wii, I would not want another LED or LCD component up front. The only information that I lack and would want is that the HTPC is currently recording something. If the IMON interface provides that information, then I might reconsider.

HTPC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1/WMC/MediaBrowser
GD05B-USB3
Core i3-2120/GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250
Lite-On 12x BD-ROM ihes112-04
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III SSD
Seasonic 430W S12II (OS/Apps)
AZIO KB338BP BT KB/Trackpad

Reply Home Theater Computers