HTPC restarts by itself but won't shut down! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My HTPC will not shut down after using. It goes to the blue shutting down screen but it just never shuts down. I have to hold the power button down to turn it off. This has been going on for quite a while and about a month ago the system black screened and no repair would get it going again so I had to reinstall windows. Unfortunately the problem still exists so I'm guessing it's a hardware problem. The system will also crash and reboot if there is no activity. If I'm watching a movie it is fine but if I let the system idle it crashes and restarts after about 15 - 20 minutes. (it actually crashed and restarted a few times while watching a movie for the first time about a week ago) It also will sometimes enter a sleep state that I cannot awaken it from even though I have it set to never sleep.

I'm using a Gateway LX6810 as a HTPC. I've installed a Galaxy 9800gt low power card a couple of years ago. Windows 7. I use XBMC v11.0.

What is going on and how should I start to troubleshoot this??

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The first thing I would check is the hard drive.

The second thing I would check is the power and reset button connections on the motherboard.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

The first thing I would check is the hard drive.
The second thing I would check is the power and reset button connections on the motherboard.
Mr Zoid

Thank you for the suggestions Mr Zoid. In what way would you check the hard drive and what would you be checking for on the motherboard with the power and reset button? The button works when you press it so I don't follow why you would check this.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would also check the video card drivers. The best thing to do is uninstall the video card drivers, force the display driver to Standard VGA, then re-install the drivers from the manufacturers website.

Next, run a memtest on the memory to see if it passes.

Then check the hard disk by going to Computer > Disk Drive > Right-Click > Properties > Tools > Check now...

If no issues arise in these test. Try setting Windows Automatic update to once a week or never (temporarily). Also, set your power profile in Control Panel > Power Options > Maximum Performance. This will disable some of the more sensitive power states. Link Power Management is especially sensitive and can cause the hard drive to hang.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I would also check the video card drivers. The best thing to do is uninstall the video card drivers, force the display driver to Standard VGA, then re-install the drivers from the manufacturers website.
Next, run a memtest on the memory to see if it passes.
Then check the hard disk by going to Computer > Disk Drive > Right-Click > Properties > Tools > Check now...
If no issues arise in these test. Try setting Windows Automatic update to once a week or never (temporarily). Also, set your power profile in Control Panel > Power Options > Maximum Performance. This will disable some of the more sensitive power states. Link Power Management is especially sensitive and can cause the hard drive to hang.

I'll try this tonight and see what I get..Thanks.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page