Replacing OS Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have done some searching and have not found what I am looking for.

I have a SSD for WIN 7 in my HTPC ("old drive"). I just bought a bigger one that I want to use instead ("new drive"). I understand that I can use win 7 to make an image file of the old drive, and use that to rebuild everything on the new drive.

My question is: Can I plug in the new drive in addition to the old, do the windows backup (image creation) of the old drive and use the new drive as the storage location for the image file, then unplug the old drive and "boot" from the new one? I am sure it isn't quite that easy, but what am I missing?

My issue is that I don't have an external HDD that is as big as the "old" SSD.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
As I'm about to do the same thing (swap the OS SSD for a larger SSD) I've been looking at using thesystem backup, which is stored on a spinner.
While it looks like it should be "sooo easy" I've had problems in the past getting a full restore this way.

Yet I've had almost no issues using WD version of Acronis to copy a system image onto the (in the this case 2nd SSD). This is a free download if
you have WD drives.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately I have two OCZ drives so I don't know if I have that option.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 180
You only need to have the WD drive connected to the MoBo to do this.. any WD drive will do and you don't even have to be cloning the WD drive.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Yet I've had almost no issues using WD version of Acronis to copy a system image onto the (in the this case 2nd SSD). This is a free download if you have WD drives.

I did the same using Seagate version of Acronis. It will work as long as you have one Seagate or Maxtor drive connected, even if it is neither the source nor the destination.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone familiar with the windows backup tools? I created a system image on a WD Passport. I also saved it on the new drive.

When I start my system up with old ssd unplugged, the system repair disk kicks in. I choose that I want to restore from a system image. I choose the one on my WD Passport, then click next. it gives the warnings re formatting, etc. Then I get an error immediately.saying:

Error - Volume for backup storage location does not match the shadow copys original volume for that location

0x80780043

I have no idea what this means. I did not partition the new drive at all. Should I? Would that solve the above issue?

Thanks
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

You only need to have the WD drive connected to the MoBo to do this.. any WD drive will do and you don't even have to be cloning the WD drive.
The WD can even be a USB external. Mine is.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try out Acronis and see if that helps me.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I use EaseUS Disk Copy and it works great. It's a freeware disk cloning utility. Just download the iso and burn it as a bootable CD.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The way I do that on my machines are:
1- in Control Panel: Back Up and restore, choose: Create a system repair disk (1 bootable cd / dvd)
2- Use one of the disk copy / clone software: Acronis Disk Director, gparted, ... to copy the boot partition and C partition to your new drive.
3- Replace the old drive with the new drive in your machine, do not leave the old drive in the machine (As it will be your backup if something goes wrong).
4- Boot the system repair disk so that it can fix the boot flags on the new disk.

You should be all set and you can now resize or move any other partitions if needed. Also keep the old drive untouched until you are sure that the new disk and partitions are working fine.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2012, 04:12 PM

Liked: 16
I would use Clonezilla. It a free linux bootable CD that will let you clone your drive. It's nice since it doesn't mess with your SSD's alignment. I've also used Acronis in the past. While it works I've had issues with the alignment afterwords. It also seems that Clonezilla is just faster to me, and you don't have Acronis and it's services installed on your drive when your done.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
On my regular desktop I've thought about adding an SSD for the OS & some (or all) the programs. Right now everything is in a single partition on the C:\ drive of a 1TB HDD. About 300GB is currently used, mainly with photos & videos.

What would be the best way to clone or image just the OS & programs to an SSD?
1) Create a new partition for all of the data & then copy or move it there, & then make an image of the OS & programs & restore that image onto the SSD?
2) Will this cause any BIOS problems?
3) Will the programs be able to find the data that was left on the HDD?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page