Help Wanted: Windows 7, Onkyo TX-NR5010, and the Fight for A Seamless HTPC Experience - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I recently upgraded from an Integra DTR-8.8 to an Onkyo TX-NR5010 audio receiver. Pretty excited about it. One thing I'm having a problem with, though, is getting the Onkyo to work with my Home Theater Personal Computer (HTPC).

I really enjoyed the ease of use with the Integra. I permanently set my computer to mirror ("Duplicate Desktop") the video image of the computer monitor to the receiver so I saw the same thing on both my PC and my HDTV - I never turned off this setting. And I had the Integra listed as the "default" audio device on my HTPC, so when I set the input selection of my Integra to its HDMI PC input, the computer would immediately send out any audio to be played via my receiver's speakers via my video card's HDMI output, rather than my computer's speakers. When I didn't have the Integra's input set to the PC's HDMI, the audio would go back to being sent through the computer's speakers. It was nice and easy - by selecting the input (PC's HDMI) I wanted on the audio receiver's remote control, I immediately had audio and video all ready to go in my living room. And the receiver would immediately relinquish audio functions to the computer speakers when the PC input was not in use on the receiver.

But now after hooking up the TX-NR5010, the process is not nearly as easy.

* If I leave the screen resolution settings as "Duplicate Desktop" (PC monitor & audio receiver) and then turn off the audio receiver, the PC monitor inexplicably goes blank.

* When I change HDMI inputs on the NR5010 from "PC" to something else, its like the NR5010 tells Windows 7 to go into Extended Desktop mode for my PC's monitor - nothing is displayed on the computer monitor but my desktop (with no icons, etc). This renders my PC monitor essentially worthless.

* The audio does not default back to my computer's speakers when a different source is selected other than the PC input; I have to change this back and forth manually when I go from one monitor to the next. This means every time I want to watch something from my living room I must tell the computer to use the HDMI sound of the video card rather than the dedicated audio card I have. So basically two steps in the process - I must manually tell my HTPC to send the sound to the receiver when the HTPC's "PC" input is selected, and I must make sure I turn on "duplicate desktop" when ready to use the HTPC from my living room. And when I am done, I need to do those two steps over again to give back control to my computer room's monitor.

I figured there must be some setting in the Onkyo that makes it act so aggressive. So I tried using a HDMI switch as a go-between. It sounds good in theory: The NR5010 wants dominance - if it senses a HDMI cable connection it immediately tells Windows 7 how to behave - so I was hoping that connecting the HTPC to a switch and *then* connecting it to the receiver would make the NR5010 act more passive like the older receiver. (Note to receiver: when I want you, I'll switch to your HDMI input to tell you - stop hijacking my computer! When I switch to a different HDMI input, don't tell Windows 7 to freak out!)

I think my main frustration is that I don't even know if its Windows 7 that is treating the NR5010 differently than it did the other receiver, or if the NR5010 has some network architecture designed for better integration into a HTPC that actually is getting in the way instead. In other words, I'm not sure if I should shoot my audio receiver for misbehaving like an arrogant know-it-all prima donna that doesn't know how to share, or if I should yell at Windows 7 for not understanding what's going on.

As a side note, I'm not sure if it matters, but.... Regarding monitor numbering in Windows 7, the Onkyo receiver is monitor #2 and the computer monitor is monitor #3. Does this have anything to do with the problem? Is windows deferring to the audio receiver because it has a lower number? Or are the numbers that windows assigns purely arbitrary? For what its worth, my video card is a AMD Radeon HD 7800. Catalyst Control Center v12.4.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which is more to blame: my new Onkyo receiver or Windows 7. Is there some setting on the NR5010 that I'm missing that would allow the receiver to back off? Right now it wants to be involved with everything I'm doing with the computer, whereas I just want it to shut up until I'm ready to use it.... I have all the latest drivers.

Any ideas on making this one-step seamless again? Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
A small Gefen device called the HDMI Detective Plus would likely solve these issues for you, but it does involve spending an additional $100 or so. I have a 5007, and have considered upgrading to the 5010, because both my theatre rooms feature 11.2 systems.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

fitbrit, thank you!

I don't mind spending an extra $100 - not when I have spent so much already!

I just want it to work right. And this sounds like it'll fit the bill.

Again, thanks for taking the time to care. biggrin.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMneon View Post

fitbrit, thank you!
I don't mind spending an extra $100 - not when I have spent so much already!
I just want it to work right. And this sounds like it'll fit the bill.
Again, thanks for taking the time to care. biggrin.gif

You're welcome. I had that device in my memory for some time, so please do read about it carefully to make sure it'll do what you want. And do let us know how it worked for you too, as I may eventually have a need for a couple myself.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I dont get why it all worked fine before the onkyo, what is the onkyo doing differently?

Do you by any chance use MS mesh, or remote login to your PC with any particular product?

Also do you have HDMI control turned on, with the reciever, TV or any other device? And when did you upgrade to the radeon 7800, I have had some similar problems since moving to a 7950 and I had no problems with nVidia cards.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I literally did not do a single thing different besides replace the receiver. No updates to Windows, no new drivers, no new cords, etc.

And no, I don't have MS mesh or remote login. No HDMI control.

I'd like to know why Windows 7 would immediately give audio output control to the video card HDMI when I selected the PC HDMI input on the Integra, and would then give it right back to my PC's sound card (computer speakers) when I wasn't using the PC HDMI input on the Integra. That was neat, but I can't figure out how to replicate that now either. (After all, manually switching audio output devices on the computer is annoying.)
post #7 of 9 Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

You're welcome. I had that device in my memory for some time, so please do read about it carefully to make sure it'll do what you want. And do let us know how it worked for you too, as I may eventually have a need for a couple myself.

Just to follow-up here, the device has worked great! I've had it for three days. It does what I hoped it would: when I turn off the receiver or change inputs, my computer monitor no longer goes wonky.

I have to say the directions were a little hard to follow, but I found a review in Amazon that was pretty clear:

Ordered this due to issues when changing hdmi inputs on Yamaha receiver when watching XBMC or Microsoft Media Center (was getting force close ). Installed at the AVR and all issues are gone. Did not want to spend 85.00 on it so tried to find software solutions but could not find any. I did have issues trying to make it work. This worked for me.
1. power on all equipment tv, htpc, avr
2. make sure all jumpers are off and write switch is on "E"
3. connect supplied hdmi to output side, nothing on input side yet
4. connect power cord to hdmi detective and plug it in to power outlet
5. connect hdmi detective to "input" source of avr
6. press black button and hold until it is solid green "not flashing"
7. remove power cord from hdmi detective and move write switch to "D"
8. move jumper #4 to on if you have a bluryay player in your htpc
9. connect input side of hdmi detective to your htpc.

The jumpers and write switch are fragile so BE CAREFUL

Thanks again, fitbrit. I don't even want to know how angry I would have been if I still had to deal with this issue for two additional weeks. Now I won't have to think about it again!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMneon View Post

Just to follow-up here, the device has worked great! I've had it for three days. It does what I hoped it would: when I turn off the receiver or change inputs, my computer monitor no longer goes wonky.
I have to say the directions were a little hard to follow, but I found a review in Amazon that was pretty clear:
Ordered this due to issues when changing hdmi inputs on Yamaha receiver when watching XBMC or Microsoft Media Center (was getting force close ). Installed at the AVR and all issues are gone. Did not want to spend 85.00 on it so tried to find software solutions but could not find any. I did have issues trying to make it work. This worked for me.
1. power on all equipment tv, htpc, avr
2. make sure all jumpers are off and write switch is on "E"
3. connect supplied hdmi to output side, nothing on input side yet
4. connect power cord to hdmi detective and plug it in to power outlet
5. connect hdmi detective to "input" source of avr
6. press black button and hold until it is solid green "not flashing"
7. remove power cord from hdmi detective and move write switch to "D"
8. move jumper #4 to on if you have a bluryay player in your htpc
9. connect input side of hdmi detective to your htpc.
The jumpers and write switch are fragile so BE CAREFUL

Thanks again, fitbrit. I don't even want to know how angry I would have been if I still had to deal with this issue for two additional weeks. Now I won't have to think about it again!

Hey - thanks for following up and posting the outcome. I'm really glad it worked for you, and sorry I didn't check back sooner. My own 5010 will be arriving soon, so it's quite timely that you asked this question! I may have to spend YET more money.

Joe
post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I have an Onkyo 3010 and have no problems - but I am not duplicating my desktop so that appears to be the thing causing you problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page