Networked media server DIY or prebuilt? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Wanted to get some feedback on media servers. I have a sony es bluray changer and though it produces excellent video, the slow loading times is destroying a great player. Anyway I have reading up on alternatives to Bluray collection and came across vidabox LiivNas. Looks sleek and love the feature to "drop and rip" I assume this product will be expensive and was hoping if someone can guide me into building a DIY media server . I have also looked at NAS's and feel they may be underpowered so maybe building a media server using a i3 or i5 would run better. Any suggestions or recommendations on part choice and case? And software

Thanks
RSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by guju69 View Post

Hello
Wanted to get some feedback on media servers. I have a sony es bluray changer and though it produces excellent video, the slow loading times is destroying a great player. Anyway I have reading up on alternatives to Bluray collection and came across vidabox LiivNas. Looks sleek and love the feature to "drop and rip" I assume this product will be expensive and was hoping if someone can guide me into building a DIY media server . I have also looked at NAS's and feel they may be underpowered so maybe building a media server using a i3 or i5 would run better. Any suggestions or recommendations on part choice and case? And software
Thanks
RSP

NAS underpowered for what exactly? If the ultimate purpose of your NAS is to store/stream your collection then you don't need a CPU Intensive device. If you are looking to do more intensive tasks then that would be a different scenario.

Really, the question is how comfortable are you with building your own, being your own tech support, etc...? I originally had an HP MediaSmart server, but as my needs grew I went the DIY route (approx 30TB WHSv1 server, you can see more details here). For DIY, the software options would most likely be unRAID or some variant of Windows (WHS 2011, Windows 8, etc...). I think it is best first to map out exactly what you want your server to do and then work from there.

Here is an AVS thread on building a media server

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1071162/guide-to-building-a-media-storage-server/7560#post_22491362

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I am comfortable with building my own server but would need some guidance. While still researching I saw a website that offers a pretty neat media server. Vidabox LiivNas looks really nice and love the drop and rip feature. The device is quite expensive and was hoping to get some advice and help in building one that can accomplish the same thing. I figure I can get a better faster option while paying less.

A few questions:

Would the drop and rip feature be available from a software? If so can someone list some.

Can someone suggest a good case with excellent airflow. Does not have to be rack type, actually prefer a tower with harddrive swap feature

Suggestions on MoBo and processor. Might be over Kill but was thinking Z77 and a i5 or i7 CPU . Read somewhere that transcoding might be an issue if videos are compressed. Plus would like to be future proof for atleast 5-10 years if possible

Would a Ethernet card with dual jacks help with read and write speeds? Will be using to house all media: pics, videos, documents and will have multiple users at same time

OS? Which should be the best choice. I was leaning towards WHS .

Harddrives was thinking of 5 or 6 WD red 2 GB drives

Power supply?

Ram

Bluray drive

Memory card reader

Would I need a raid controller? Which one? Anything else

Any websites that do custom media server builds. I went avadirect but they don't offer latest hardware for media servers

Thanks in advance

post #4 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Hmmm. If only someone had taken the time and resources to create a set of server guides including hardware and software. That would be amazing. cool.gif

Edit: Or a company that did custom servers. Now that would be even more amazing! cool.gifcool.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page