OpenELEC: Why did I ever use XBMC on Windows? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 235 Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm not sure if this an openelec issue, my Arctic MC001 issue or a makemkv issue. I ripped Star Wars IV to mkv with makemkv decoding the DTS-MA track to lossless FLAC. I'm running the Arctic build 3.0 with Frodo 12.1. It does not play on my MC001. It crashes XBMC which displays an X in the center of the screen then the XBMC splash screen and then back to the main menu. This rip plays fine on my PC with both VLC player and JRiver media center.

I reripped the disc keeping the DTS-MA track as is. The file now plays. But it causes an issue for me. I'm hoping to preserve the lossless audio that both openelec and my receiver (HDMI capable Denon 1908 but not able to decode the lossless codecs, but can play 7.1 LPCM) So, I reripped a few of my discs using makemkv to decode to FLAC. I had no issues with the first few, the FLAC lossless mkv played fine (Cars 2, Winnie The Pooh).

My issue is that in my theater I have 7.1 sound but no ability to convert the bitstreamed HD audio and in the rest of my house I have a couple of TVs that are not DTS capable so they can't pull the DTS downmix from the HD track. I have 2 of these arctic players, 1 for the theater and 1 for the rest of the house and was hoping to find a ripping setting that would enable lossless in the theater and stereo everywhere else from a single rip of a movie. I thought ripping the audio to FLAC was the answer, but hit this snag.

The only differences I see in the movies themselves is the number of channels. Cars 2 is 7.1, Winnie the Pooh is 5.1 and Star Wars is 6.1.

Any thoughs? Should I move this to another thread?

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 235 Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

OK, so I've completed the transition to OpenElec
Very nice. The only thing I feel that I'm missing is HDMI-CEC, but I'll probably consider the pulse eight adapter at some point.

I have to remind myself weekly of the reasons I shouldn't buy the Arctic passive cooled barebones unit for running OE (running out of reasons at this point, except that I don't have another screen)

I had asked earlier about a passive cooled i3, since I can still faintly hear the i3 stock fan during normal navigation, boot, etc. However, I can say it is quieter than the PS3 which sits right next to it smile.gif
Quote:

1. No BD playback support.
Nothing perfect, but all other software players have a lot of updates as well. Check out http://www.mediacrave.com/?p=1273
post #183 of 235 Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

I'm not sure if this an openelec issue, my Arctic MC001 issue or a makemkv issue. I ripped Star Wars IV to mkv with makemkv decoding the DTS-MA track to lossless FLAC. I'm running the Arctic build 3.0 with Frodo 12.1. It does not play on my MC001. It crashes XBMC which displays an X in the center of the screen then the XBMC splash screen and then back to the main menu. This rip plays fine on my PC with both VLC player and JRiver media center.

I reripped the disc keeping the DTS-MA track as is. The file now plays. But it causes an issue for me. I'm hoping to preserve the lossless audio that both openelec and my receiver (HDMI capable Denon 1908 but not able to decode the lossless codecs, but can play 7.1 LPCM) So, I reripped a few of my discs using makemkv to decode to FLAC. I had no issues with the first few, the FLAC lossless mkv played fine (Cars 2, Winnie The Pooh).

My issue is that in my theater I have 7.1 sound but no ability to convert the bitstreamed HD audio and in the rest of my house I have a couple of TVs that are not DTS capable so they can't pull the DTS downmix from the HD track. I have 2 of these arctic players, 1 for the theater and 1 for the rest of the house and was hoping to find a ripping setting that would enable lossless in the theater and stereo everywhere else from a single rip of a movie. I thought ripping the audio to FLAC was the answer, but hit this snag.

The only differences I see in the movies themselves is the number of channels. Cars 2 is 7.1, Winnie the Pooh is 5.1 and Star Wars is 6.1.

Any thoughs? Should I move this to another thread?

Doesn't the Arctic have ATI graphics? If so that could be the issue, ATI is not well supported for HD audio in OpenElec... and maybe FLAC has issues too.
post #184 of 235 Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Nothing perfect, but all other software players have a lot of updates as well. Check out http://www.mediacrave.com/?p=1273

I tried that and must be doing something wrong, because I could not get it to work (disc would start to load and then just quit). Regular DVDs work fine and the same drive had no issues doing BD playback on XBMC using Any-DVD under Windows.
post #185 of 235 Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Doesn't the Arctic have ATI graphics? If so that could be the issue, ATI is not well supported for HD audio in OpenElec... and maybe FLAC has issues too.

Yes, it has the ATI Mobility Radeon 5430 graphics. I know it can't decode DTS-MA with openelec/XBMC. It can pull the DTS core from it and decode that. That works on my TVs with stereo and it decodes that for the ones that don't support DTS audio natively. I'm trying to find a ripping method that preserves the lossless audio and can be played in both 7.1 and stereo by the Arctic with openelec. I thought I had found the solution with makemkv converting audio to FLAC. The first 2 movies I ripped had no trouble. Which is why I am wondering if there isn't something else going on that I'm missing with the Star Wars rip.

Looks like it may be an XBMC issue, found another similar report:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158168

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #186 of 235 Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think OpenELEC ate my SSD. mad.gif I've been running version 2.0 for a few months successfully on a AMD E350 system. I could never reliably get the system to power down, so more times than not I ended up holding the power button down to shut the system off. A couple of days ago the system stopped booting, so I thought I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade to version 3.0. After several unsuccessful attempts at loading the new OS it started giving me errors about there not being a partition to load the OS on to. Pulled the drive from the computer, put it into a USB enclosure, and my Windows 7 and 8 machines won't even recognize that there is a drive in the enclosure. I didn't have time to crack one of my Windows machines open to connect directly to a SATA port on the MB, so hopefully tonight I can do that and get this sorted out. I'll be rather dissapointed if saving $100 on a Windows license costs me (what was originally) a $170 SSD.
post #187 of 235 Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WylieKylie View Post

I think OpenELEC ate my SSD. mad.gif I've been running version 2.0 for a few months successfully on a AMD E350 system. I could never reliably get the system to power down, so more times than not I ended up holding the power button down to shut the system off. A couple of days ago the system stopped booting, so I thought I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade to version 3.0. After several unsuccessful attempts at loading the new OS it started giving me errors about there not being a partition to load the OS on to. Pulled the drive from the computer, put it into a USB enclosure, and my Windows 7 and 8 machines won't even recognize that there is a drive in the enclosure. I didn't have time to crack one of my Windows machines open to connect directly to a SATA port on the MB, so hopefully tonight I can do that and get this sorted out. I'll be rather dissapointed if saving $100 on a Windows license costs me (what was originally) a $170 SSD.

Doesn't your SSD have a warranty?

It's a bit silly for you to accuse OpenElec of being what caused your SSD to fail. I had a Crucial SSD that cost much more than $100 fail on my Mac. Maybe I should accuse OS X of "eating my SSD". rolleyes.gif
post #188 of 235 Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could never reliably get the system to power down, so more times than not I ended up holding the power button down to shut the system off

From Crucial knowledge base
Quote:
A sudden power loss is most common cause for a system to fail to recognize an SSD
Had it happen to me with an OCZ ssd (never owned a Crucial, but the "power cycle" from their knowledge base fixed my issue)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

As always, you may be able to just use the warranty
post #189 of 235 Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Doesn't your SSD have a warranty?

It's a bit silly for you to accuse OpenElec of being what caused your SSD to fail. I had a Crucial SSD that cost much more than $100 fail on my Mac. Maybe I should accuse OS X of "eating my SSD". rolleyes.gif
Maybe so, but I think it is reasonable to believe that repeatedly hard-powering off an SSD because the OS won't reliably power down can't be good for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

From Crucial knowledge base
Had it happen to me with an OCZ ssd (never owned a Crucial, but the "power cycle" from their knowledge base fixed my issue)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD-Knowledge/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

As always, you may be able to just use the warranty
This drive does happen to be a Crucial, so hopefully that will work. Thanks!
post #190 of 235 Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe so, but I think it is reasonable to believe that repeatedly hard-powering off an SSD because the OS won't reliably power down can't be good for it.
This drive does happen to be a Crucial, so hopefully that will work. Thanks!

Maybe.... have you asked for help on your power down problems in the OpenElec problems and provided the appropriate pastebin logs to help diagnose the issue?

For what it's worth mine seems to power down reliably from IR via the header on my motherboard that enables that functionality.... which was a pleasant surprise when moving to OpenElec.
post #191 of 235 Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Little update, I have yet to get my SSD working since it crapped out 5 days ago. It looks like I'll have to see how good Crucial's 3 year warranty is.

Under the good news category I installed OpenELEC 3.0 on a $6.99 8 gb USB 3.0 thumb drive (sale at OfficeDepot!), configured everything and it is running just as well (if not better) than is was running version 2.0 on the SSD. Performance seems just as quick as it was with the SSD. For whatever reason it also plays nicer with Constellation than it did before (which is a big plus because my 3 year old can call up his own content on the iPad better than he can with a remote). My only problem is that I couldn't install any add-ons, as none showed up when I went to browse through them under "Get Addons". I'll have to try and download .zip files on another PC and see how that install goes.
post #192 of 235 Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Little update, I have yet to get my SSD working since it crapped out 5 days ago. It looks like I'll have to see how good Crucial's 3 year warranty is.
They come highly recommended by others around here, so hope for the best
Quote:

My only problem is that I couldn't install any add-ons, as none showed up when I went to browse through them under "Get Addons". I'll have to try and download .zip files on another PC and see how that install goes.
I definitely installed add-ons by simply browsing the bundled repos. If yours are not available, you likely have no internet connection
post #193 of 235 Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM

Pretty sure I have an internet connection, I did set up the native weather app and the conditions and forecast updated. How can I check the speed of the internet connection?
post #194 of 235 Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I tested OpenElec with a thumb drive first but it runs a lot faster from a 32gb patriot SSD.
post #195 of 235 Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM

Not sure why I couldn't get a list of addons yesterday, but when I made it home from work again I fired up OpenELEC and all the addon list was available. Downloaded all my favorites and the whole system is running like a champ now.
post #196 of 235 Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

"Doesn't the Arctic have ATI graphics? If so that could be the issue, ATI is not well supported for HD audio in OpenElec..."

You should realize that this isn't OpenElec's fault but AMD's. They refuse to develop a Linux driver to do so.
post #197 of 235 Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

Yes, it has the ATI Mobility Radeon 5430 graphics. I know it can't decode DTS-MA with openelec/XBMC. It can pull the DTS core from it and decode that. That works on my TVs with stereo and it decodes that for the ones that don't support DTS audio natively. I'm trying to find a ripping method that preserves the lossless audio and can be played in both 7.1 and stereo by the Arctic with openelec. I thought I had found the solution with makemkv converting audio to FLAC. The first 2 movies I ripped had no trouble. Which is why I am wondering if there isn't something else going on that I'm missing with the Star Wars rip.

Looks like it may be an XBMC issue, found another similar report:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158168

Does appear to be an XBMC bug...

Can't you just rip with more than one audio stream?
post #198 of 235 Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM

Liked: 72
Quote:

I tested OpenElec with a thumb drive first but it runs a lot faster from a 32gb patriot SSD.

Has anyone here tried running openelec off an mSATA SSD? Or maybe just have an opinion in general about the performance of mSATA vs. 2.5" SSD or USB thumb drives? I just bought the new Celeron 847 NUC off Amazon and with only a mini PCIe slot for an SSD I was just going to run OE off a thumb drive unless someone wants to convince me an mSATA SSD is worth the investment. I've only ever used 2.5" and I don't know if the performance is supposed to be basically the same or somewhere in between.
post #199 of 235 Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Has anyone here tried running openelec off an mSATA SSD? Or maybe just have an opinion in general about the performance of mSATA vs. 2.5" SSD or USB thumb drives? I just bought the new Celeron 847 NUC off Amazon and with only a mini PCIe slot for an SSD I was just going to run OE off a thumb drive unless someone wants to convince me an mSATA SSD is worth the investment. I've only ever used 2.5" and I don't know if the performance is supposed to be basically the same or somewhere in between.
Can't compare mSATA to 2.5" SSD because the one in my i3 NUC is the only SSD I've ever used, but it's fast... its still SSD and SATA technology, no reason it wouldn't be fast, a lot faster than a usb thumb drive. That's not to say that OpenELEC won't run off a usb thumb drive to your satisfaction. If you're really unsure about needing an SSD, especially if cost is an issue, I would say try running off a thumb drive for a bit as a test run. If you run into any snags then you can always upgrade to SSD.

Here's Assassin's NUC review thread, most people posting in that thread are using SSD if you'd like to see their opinions of the performance.
post #200 of 235 Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by boournz View Post

Can't compare mSATA to 2.5" SSD because the one in my i3 NUC is the only SSD I've ever used, but it's fast... its still SSD and SATA technology, no reason it wouldn't be fast, a lot faster than a usb thumb drive. That's not to say that OpenELEC won't run off a usb thumb drive to your satisfaction. If you're really unsure about needing an SSD, especially if cost is an issue, I would say try running off a thumb drive for a bit as a test run. If you run into any snags then you can always upgrade to SSD.

Here's Assassin's NUC review thread, most people posting in that thread are using SSD if you'd like to see their opinions of the performance.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now too. After reading Assassin's NUC review thread and the longer NUC thread on the XBMC forum I'm thinking it might be fine off just the thumb drive since there I've read a few posters saying it works just fine for them. Plus although I'm pretty sure I want OE I've never used it before (or any flavor XBMC) so it makes more sense to just test it from the USB drive first. It may be a long shot but as a Linux noob if I decide I'm not comfortable with it and want Windows after all that would mean not just an SSD but a bigger one than I'd get for OE (64g instead of 32). So best to test it first.

BTW someone on one of those threads posted the CrystalMark stats for the mSATA SSD in their NUC and it looks like the same speeds I get with the 2.5" SSD in my laptop. So that's good to know. If I decide I don't need it now I'm sure I'll keep it on the wish list when prices come down more, just to give it that little extra zip.
post #201 of 235 Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been reading this thread with interest

which version should I download though please ? I have an ION chipset mobo (Gigabyte - 9400 chipset) but have a dedicated ATI 5670 graphics card ...

if I was purely using the integrated I'd use the ION build - but I'm not sure with the above
post #202 of 235 Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
^You probably need one of the generic builds, but it wouldn't hurt to try the ION build first.
post #203 of 235 Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

I have been reading this thread with interest

which version should I download though please ? I have an ION chipset mobo (Gigabyte - 9400 chipset) but have a dedicated ATI 5670 graphics card ...

if I was purely using the integrated I'd use the ION build - but I'm not sure with the above

You might as well use the ion build because even with a generic build you won't get HD Audio support with your ATI card. Or do what I did and ditch your Radeon for a cheap Nvidia card that supports HD Audio like the GT610. $35.
post #204 of 235 Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I am looking to build a XBMC Media Server and also a NAS... Would a i3 be good enough for streaming HD MKV files to no more than 2 locations at a time? I also will be using 2 HDHomeRun dual tuner boxes and could have as many as 4 tuners recording at the same time. I also was looking at a AMD A6-3500... Which would be better for my situation? Or do I need a faster setup?

tia,
Ron

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #205 of 235 Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone gotten forced subtitles to work properly on OpenELEC? I've been running the lastest XBMC on Windows 7 and the forced subtitles work perfectly on the several titles I've tried but with OpenELEC they don't show at all. This is the only thing that's keeping me from switching as it is a deal breaker. I've checked the OpenELEC forum as well as Googled and it seems like other are have the same problem.
post #206 of 235 Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am running OpenElec 3.0.6 and forced subs are working for me. I just tested several titles which I've ripped with the following settings for the forced subs (in MKVMerge);

1. Forced = Yes
2. Default track = Yes

For the subtitle track that is forced.

You might want to provide the meta data for the files that you are having problems with.
post #207 of 235 Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply jmpage2. I'll try and check the meta data. I figured since the forced subtitles works in XBMC, MPC-HC a well as TMT5 and 6 correctly the flags should be set right. I also tried 3.0.6 with no results. One movie I'm trying is a full rip of Avatar which even my SageTV HD300 extender plays correctly.
post #208 of 235 Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyangler View Post

Thanks for the reply jmpage2. I'll try and check the meta data. I figured since the forced subtitles works in XBMC, MPC-HC a well as TMT5 and 6 correctly the flags should be set right. I also tried 3.0.6 with no results. One movie I'm trying is a full rip of Avatar which even my SageTV HD300 extender plays correctly.

I have watched Avatar, Kill Bill and several other titles which I've ripped with forced subtitles and they are working correctly. Worth noting is that I always go into MKVMerge, post rip, and manually set the flags on the forced subtitle track.
post #209 of 235 Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Is there a way to set up XBMC to default to no subtitles, instead of having to turn them off every time?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #210 of 235 Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Is there a way to set up XBMC to default to no subtitles, instead of having to turn them off every time?

While you are watching a movie bring up the menu where you can turn off subtitles. Turn them off and there is an option to make this the default.
Select that and you will be good to go....

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page