Dang, 5.1 audio reset to 2.0... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Everytime I change my HDMI input on my receiver or turn off my HTPC or if it goes into sleep mode, it resets the audio to 2.0. Damn, is there a way to make my audio config stick?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Is this possibly an EDID issue? In my setup, my HTPC and Blu-Ray player are connected via HDMI to my Sony AVR. The AVR then has one HDMI out that connects to the HDTV. I had an issue where I would lose the audio device on my HTPC whenever the HTPC would go into sleep mode or if I put the AVR into standby mode. Of course, rebooting the HTPC would resolve the problem, as would disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable between the HTPC and the AVR. I also used a little piece of software called HDMI On which simply forces the HTPC and AVR to go through the HDMI handshake process. However, none of these options are wife or kid friendly. So, I ended up purchasing a HDMI Detective Plus. You go through a simple process to program the HDMI Detective with the EDID information of your AV sink. It then stands in place of the AV sink and causes the HTPC to think that the device is always connected. I have also heard from another user on these forums that an HDMI repeater worked for him. However, I have not used that device and cannot speak from experience.

HTPC
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1/WMC/MediaBrowser
GD05B-USB3
Core i3-2120/GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333
ASUS GeForce GT 430
WinTV-HVR-2250
Lite-On 12x BD-ROM ihes112-04
Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III SSD
Seasonic 430W S12II (OS/Apps)
AZIO KB338BP BT KB/Trackpad

post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrinson View Post

Is this possibly an EDID issue? In my setup, my HTPC and Blu-Ray player are connected via HDMI to my Sony AVR. The AVR then has one HDMI out that connects to the HDTV. I had an issue where I would lose the audio device on my HTPC whenever the HTPC would go into sleep mode or if I put the AVR into standby mode. Of course, rebooting the HTPC would resolve the problem, as would disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable between the HTPC and the AVR. I also used a little piece of software called HDMI On which simply forces the HTPC and AVR to go through the HDMI handshake process. However, none of these options are wife or kid friendly. So, I ended up purchasing a HDMI Detective Plus. You go through a simple process to program the HDMI Detective with the EDID information of your AV sink. It then stands in place of the AV sink and causes the HTPC to think that the device is always connected. I have also heard from another user on these forums that an HDMI repeater
worked for him. However, I have not used that device and cannot speak from experience.

Dang, that seems like what's happening to me. Didn't happen with my old HTPC (Athlon x3 with a Radeon 6450), but this one (Intel G870 with a Radeon 7770) will not hold the speaker configuration. All I have to do it right click the speaker icon and change it to 5.1 and it fixes it, no reboot or unplugging anything, but, still a hassle. Doesn't affect me for movies or shows as those are all bitstreamed through XBMC, but I am gaming on this machine and I have to change it to 5.1 whenever I light up a game. frown.gif

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do you have the HDMI Audio set as your DEFAULT audio? How about the HDMI display as well should be set as your DEFAULT. When you shutoff the PC, or stabdby, does the PC have speakers connected or are your only audio devices digital? It could be a setting in the config that is set to speakers causing the PC to go to speakers when the TV or AVR is switched off.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, HDMI audio is default. HDMI display is the ONLY display and is also default. No speakers connected, everything is run through my receiver to my projector.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I suspect the video is also on-board -- have you disabled the on-board video in BIOS to allow the Radeon to remain as the sole device?
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I suspect the video is also on-board -- have you disabled the on-board video in BIOS to allow the Radeon to remain as the sole device?

Thanks man, I'll try that tonight to see if that works.

Reply Home Theater Computers