New/Upgraded HTPC Build i3 3225 - Question and problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up going to Microcenter yesterday and picking up an Intel i3-3225, a Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP mATX motherboard, 8GB (2 stick) Corsair XMS DDR3 RAM, and a Seasonic 400w fanless PS.

I took out the guts of my old HTPC in my Silverstone GD05b. Same HDs/DVD and tuner cards. Using the built-in HDMI on the motherboard. Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Loaded all the newest bios and drivers.

Seems to be working almost great......

One problem:
I noticed that if I have any amount of static on my finger and touch the Silverstone case, the Display on my TV starts going wacky (Whole screen starts cycling through RGBW, or turns black). This happens while in BIOS or in the OS. Not that I should be trying to shock the case, but I can see someone dusting or touching it while loading a DVD. Anyone had this happen before? If I was going to guess I would say this is a Power Supply or MB issue. Probably more motherboard, but just wanted to see what people thought. I could try replacing the Seasonic with my old Silverstone 400w PS I guess and see. oh.. I also have one of the case fans wired to 12v/5v=7v so it will run slower. Maybe this could be causing something? Also, this didn't happen with my old MB, PS...same case..

One question:

For the HD4000 video, is there a recommended setting for using it with WMC? In Bios I have it using 1024MB ram, and Max on the other setting (can't remember the setting). I turned off dynamic contrast. I left skin tone and film detection on.

A couple of things I noticed so far.. I am bitstreaming audio. I noticed that in Windows a lot of the system sounds don't play through the HDMI. This used to happen on my ATI 5570, but seems to be more prevalent on the HD4000. I'm assuming ATI had something that kept the audio to my stereo receiver open for a longer period even when it wasn't being used? or something?

Also, when watching programs, the video seems slightly more fuzzy on the HD4000. Could be my imagination though, since I was just sitting a lot closer when I was configuring the HTPC when using the HD4000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Did some testing today with different power supplies, everything unplugged from the MB. Still the static would kill the display.

I ended up switching out the Gigabyte MB with an ASUS P8H77-M. No issue with touching the case now.

Guess I should have bought ASUS or Intel to start.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your static problem maybe from the motherboard and the standoffs used to attach to the case causing a grounding issue.
Did you use nylon washers as an insulator between the motherboard and standoffs? They are inexpensive to get at Depot or Lowes - worth a try........

Toys

My Gear
post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't use insulators. I didn't think people used insulators when building pcs anymore. Most of the MBs ground through the screws/case.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post

I didn't use insulators. I didn't think people used insulators when building pcs anymore. Most of the MBs ground through the screws/case.

You are correct . Insulators have not been used in "forever" . However , that does not mean that Toys is wrong in his suggestion . We have all seen stranger things, I am sure I have . Grounding issues are a real brain teaser as locating them is rarely easy .

I would totally remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a cardboard surface ( like the MB box) and test the mother board in question. This will eliminate the motherboard if the issue goes away OR incriminate the case in combination with this particular board .

It sure would not hurt either to purchase $1.00 worth of nylon washers( keep them thin as possible) to fix the issue if it is determined that the case / Gigabyte MB combo is the problem .
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I already replaced the MB with an ASUS anyway. This solved the problem. So it was either a defective MB, or just Gigabyte in general being less tolerant to static.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page