post #91 of 121 Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Well, you're certainly welcome to go either direction, but I can confirm that what you are doing is 100% unnecessary for your OE boxes if you are just trying to get audio to play

To get audio to playback you'll just need to modify your settings appropriately http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Audio_output

If your LG can decode DD (AC3) you can leave the blue radio button for DD selected, but you should deselect all others. Afterwards, audio will play just fine in wreck-it ralph or any other DTS MA title.

I'd leave them as is and adjust the audio settings, they should already play to 2.0 or 7.1

Re-ripping or converting (to me) really only makes sense when you intend to use an older receiver that doesn't decode those formats.

You mentioned another reason to convert, my Denon 1908 will play 7.1 channel LPCM no problem, but can not decode any lossless HD audio codecs.

I appreciate the help. Being new to all this ripping and streaming stuff over the last 6-8 months has been a steep learning curve. Again, now that I've settled on using OpenELEC and the Arctic MC0001 I want to make sure everything I do will work well with them. Going forward, using MakeMKV to create a file that will play in either downmixed stereo or full lossless 7.1 to any of my 4 current rooms is what I am after. If I run in to an issue with any of the current rips, it is a simple task to rerip. If I were talking about 100s of blu-ray and dvds needing to be redone, i'd be looking for a different solution. As you state, it could be a setting in XBMC/OpenELEC that I've missed, likely the DTS check box. I'll do some testing and see where I get.

Love the support here at AVS. Thanks again.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

I just purchased an Arctic MC0001 and am running XBMC via openELEC on it. I am a longtime member of the Assasin Blog and used the guide to build my first PC about a year ago. I've been using MakeMKV to rip movies for a while but am having a snag on something related to the Arctic/openelec box I just got. Since it will not decode DTS-HD I want to convert some of my movies that already are ripped to .mkv but convert the DTS-HD track to FLAC. I've installed the required .dll but each time I try to run the process it fails:

MakeMKV v1.8.0 win(x64-release) started
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory F:/Temp Conversion Folder using profile 'FLAC' from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV/flac.mmcp.xml'
Failed to save title 0 to file F:/Temp Conversion Folder/Despicable_Me_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Any ideas? Should I just scrap the current rip and re-rip to flac? I've been successful in converting a saved ISO to .mkv with lossless FLAC, so that seems to work.

You cannot load mkv's in makeMKV but you can load an iso that is first mounted as a virtual drive using Virtual Clone Drive.

You can use ClownBD or HandBrake to convert the audio format in the mkv though.

post #93 of 121 Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Hmm, I tried to open a MKV file with DTS-HD MA track and convert it to a MKV with FLAC with MakeMKV 1.8.0. I succeeded with no problem.

If it does not work somehow, another option is eac3to (another great work by madshi) with a front end such as HdBrStreamExtractor that can demux the file to video/audo/subtile streams and convert the audio stream to FLAC at the same time. Then remux video and audio into a MKV file by MKVMerge GUI.
post #94 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Hmm, I tried to open a MKV file with DTS-HD MA track and convert it to a MKV with FLAC with MakeMKV 1.8.0. I succeeded with no problem.

If it does not work somehow, another option is eac3to (another great work by madshi) with a front end such as HdBrStreamExtractor that can demux the file to video/audo/subtile streams and convert the audio stream to FLAC at the same time. Then remux video and audio into a MKV file by MKVMerge GUI.

Your right renethx - just tried one myself and it works (certain that in previous builds it used to give an error message of something like "file is not a BD/DVD').

That's good to know - apologies to SeldomSeen for the incorrect information.
post #95 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

How do I get MakMKV to auto-select the TrueHD or DTS-HD audio tracks? Whenever I open up a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, the not HD audio tracks are selected but not the HD. The PC I am converting on, while capable of those, isn't plugged into anything that can handle it. Is that the problem? I couldn't find any setting anywhere to make it auto-select those.
Anyone?
post #96 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 156
To the best of my knowledge, there is no setting to automatically select the HD audio soundtracks in MakeMKV. You have to select the title and then select the audio. Not sure why this is an issue since it takes but one or two clicks to rip to mkv. I prefer to do it manually anyway since there are usually lots of choices and an automated feature may not always select the ones I want. Some things are better left to human intervention than have a piece of software decide for you.
post #97 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh. Well I haven't tried that in some time. Let me give it a whirl..

I stand corrected. I haven't tried to open an mkv with makeMKV in some time so I was wrong.

post #98 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

To the best of my knowledge, there is no setting to automatically select the HD audio soundtracks in MakeMKV. You have to select the title and then select the audio. Not sure why this is an issue since it takes but one or two clicks to rip to mkv. I prefer to do it manually anyway since there are usually lots of choices and an automated feature may not always select the ones I want. Some things are better left to human intervention than have a piece of software decide for you.

It's an issue because if I shouldn't have to do it manually, especially when you are ripping something where multiple streams (like the theaterical release and directors cut, or just sometimes extras have the HD audio, or something like Planet Earth where there are 4 episodes on each disc) you have to check every single thing you are going to convert. Add in that I'm converting my entire collection from folder rips to mkv and that's a lot of extra work that a very simple setting in the program could do. You can set the default languages to select, why no the audio. Makes zero sense.
post #99 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

It's an issue because if I shouldn't have to do it manually, especially when you are ripping something where multiple streams (like the theaterical release and directors cut, or just sometimes extras have the HD audio, or something like Planet Earth where there are 4 episodes on each disc) you have to check every single thing you are going to convert. Add in that I'm converting my entire collection from folder rips to mkv and that's a lot of extra work that a very simple setting in the program could do. You can set the default languages to select, why no the audio. Makes zero sense.

Unless its too much trouble or time consuming for you wink.gif - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386, default settings can be changed.
post #100 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

That'll work! Thanks. Still seems strange not to have it in a GUI, but whatever, so long as it work!
post #101 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Unless its too much trouble or time consuming for you wink.gif - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386, default settings can be changed.
Now I know I'm getting senile. I read about that a while back and totally forgot about it.
post #102 of 121 Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That'll work! Thanks. Still seems strange not to have it in a GUI, but whatever, so long as it work!

Quote:

Quote:

Now I know I'm getting senile. I read about that a while back and totally forgot about it.

Yeah I remember that too but didn't do anything new. These are just arguments to tell the background process what to do. I think it is not in the GUI because of the time to code it in and nothing else.

post #103 of 121 Old 12-24-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Anyone have MKV set up to only select the english audio tracks (not other languages) and also only the English subs (both forced and not) ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #104 of 121 Old 12-24-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Anyone have MKV set up to only select the english audio tracks (not other languages) and also only the English subs (both forced and not) ?
Yep. Just click on the wrench icon at the top of the MakeMKV window and click on the language tab. The preferred language you select will be selected by default for any future conversions and the same language subs will also be selected by default, both regular and forced.
post #105 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I'm new to all this MKV blu ray ripping and I had some beginners luck with the first two rips, Limitless, and Sunshine relatively movies that have been around for some time, but movies such as pacific Rim, despicable Me 2 tend to result to some issues.
I can't seem to find them in my 3TB drive, I did a search and nothing....Am I suppose to re type the name eg: ?( Despicable Me 2)

Also can I remove the subtitle after the rip, or they're there for good? very annoying to say the least!

Btw I'm using the 30 day trial, I'm hopping I can get more clear control with a pay version as I'm flying by the seat of my pants eek.gif

Hope I'm made some sort of sense!

Djoel
post #106 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I ripped over a hundred DVDs yesterday because I was on coall and couldn't go anywhere or do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm new to all this MKV blu ray ripping and I had some beginners luck with the first two rips, Limitless, and Sunshine relatively movies that have been around for some time, but movies such as pacific Rim, despicable Me 2 tend to result to some issues.
I can't seem to find them in my 3TB drive, I did a search and nothing....Am I suppose to re type the name eg: ?( Despicable Me 2)
Make MKV will rip to the drive that has the most free space, but you can tell it what folder by going to View - Preferences and tell it what folder you want the rips to go to. In the top box Output Folder name the folder Limitless or what the Movie title is.

I have 4 ODD in my workstation and use 4 concurrent MakeMKV sessions and rip from each to a separate HDD to maximise throughput. I then use Teracoy to rip them all to the final drive.
Quote:

Also can I remove the subtitle after the rip, or they're there for good? very annoying to say the least!
l
Turn them off in the player you use by default. With DVDs I always keep the subtitles as some non English sections in movies, ie character speaks in Spanish or French will lack subtitles in many titles if you don't keep them in the rip. They take a trivial amount of space anyway.

So far, I've ripped about 500 of 1600 and I have at least 50 in the mail. I'm concentrating on the DVDs as they're easiest, then the simple BRs and finally the BRs with multiple playlists etc that take some work to get right.
post #107 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

I ripped over a hundred DVDs yesterday because I was on coall and couldn't go anywhere or do anything.
Make MKV will rip to the drive that has the most free space, but you can tell it what folder by going to View - Preferences and tell it what folder you want the rips to go to. In the top box Output Folder name the folder Limitless or what the Movie title is.

I have 4 ODD in my workstation and use 4 concurrent MakeMKV sessions and rip from each to a separate HDD to maximise throughput. I then use Teracoy to rip them all to the final drive.
Turn them off in the player you use by default. With DVDs I always keep the subtitles as some non English sections in movies, ie character speaks in Spanish or French will lack subtitles in many titles if you don't keep them in the rip. They take a trivial amount of space anyway.

So far, I've ripped about 500 of 1600 and I have at least 50 in the mail. I'm concentrating on the DVDs as they're easiest, then the simple BRs and finally the BRs with multiple playlists etc that take some work to get right.

Thanks A9X-308 for all the great info, is there a difference between the Free version, and the pay version?

Thanks

Djoel
post #108 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks A9X-308 for all the great info, is there a difference between the Free version, and the pay version?

Thanks

Djoel
I noticed no difference with it once I paid for my license. I simply added the license key and kept on ripping.

PS: just ripping Uncle Buck. My sister in law gave me the movie because she thought it was a documentary about me.
post #109 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed no difference with it once I paid for my license. I simply added the license key and kept on ripping.

PS: just ripping Uncle Buck. My sister in law gave me the movie because she thought it was a documentary about me.

Not too sure that's a good thing or not, I was expecting a little more from this software.

Lol, I haven't seen Uncle Buck and in years, but I recall it was up there with Trains, plain and automobiles John Candy films, not bad for a Xmas viewing with family coming over.

Djoel
post #110 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not too sure that's a good thing or not, I was expecting a little more from this software.
What else were you expecting from it? Margaritas?
post #111 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
If you are ripping 1600 movies I think the small price the developers ask for the software is a small price to pay to say "thank you".

That's just my opinion.
post #112 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

If you are ripping 1600 movies I think the small price the developers ask for the software is a small price to pay to say "thank you".

That's just my opinion.
I agree. I paid for my license about 5 months ago when a temp key expired and I thought it was time to support it rather than wait for the next beta key to be released.

It is a fantastic program, but I wish that it could determine which was the correct version in multiple playlists etc. A dumb $40 BR player can do it.
post #113 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Margaritas are always welcome, but I'm not seeing what I'm ripping, thus I can delete it so I can re-rip it. Not sure what I was looking for just more definitive directions! I believe I still have 1.5 tb storage left in my hd so 21gb shouldn't be an issue.

Djoel
post #114 of 121 Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but I'm not seeing what I'm ripping, thus I can delete it so I can re-rip it.
I don't get what you want here. You select either manually or via a script the parts of the movie you want to rip, then tell it to MakeMKV. I've never had it not rip what I told it too, so I just wait for it to finish and load the next disc.
Quote:

Not sure what I was looking for just more definitive directions!
The set up directions do suck, but it's not all that hard, at least if you select manually what components to rip as I do. I tell it to check nothing and to ignore anything less than 30mins, so typically I only have to check the audio stream I want and the subtitles.
Quote:

I believe I still have 1.5 tb storage left in my hd so 21gb shouldn't be an issue.
1.5TB. I've ripped that much since Wed am.
post #115 of 121 Old 12-26-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:

LOL @ Uncle Buck. Love it. biggrin.gif

Quote:

Lol, I haven't seen Uncle Buck and in years, but I recall it was up there with Trains, plain and automobiles John Candy films, not bad for a Xmas viewing with family coming over.

Djoel

Two words:

Summer Rental

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090098/

Perhaps not so Christmas style... but clearly my favorite John Candy movie. Good enough to be watched on any occasion IMO.

Quote:

That would clearly make it worth the paid premium tongue.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #116 of 121 Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't get what you want here. You select either manually or via a script the parts of the movie you want to rip, then tell it to MakeMKV. I've never had it not rip what I told it too, so I just wait for it to finish and load the next disc.
The set up directions do suck, but it's not all that hard, at least if you select manually what components to rip as I do. I tell it to check nothing and to ignore anything less than 30mins, so typically I only have to check the audio stream I want and the subtitles.
1.5TB. I've ripped that much since Wed am.

I found Pacific Rim in my C drive where all my software is, but it wasn't name P.R, it was name under back up, I tried to drag and drop but the file didn't want to play with MB player so I delete, will try that title again.

I guess it's a little confusing were it starts what seems to be ripping for a while I get "Back up is done" pop up. Is it really done?

Then some times I get the chapter menu cascading for one to check off, or not, it begins again, 20-30 minutes.Then nothing, no where to be found...... where are those Margaritas!

DJoel
post #117 of 121 Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

When the disc is scanned you'll get a list of all video segments on the disc. You can expand each of them to list all of the available audio tracks and subtitles. If you right-click on the top item you can unselect all items as they will be selected by default. Now, just pick the largest file and expand the list the select the audio and subtitle tracks you want to keep. Make sure the main title is checked and then click on the MakeMKV icon at the right of the window. The selected video segment and associated audio and subtitle tracks will be ripped and converted to an mkv container. You can also select the default location for all future rips. If there is insufficient space I believe MakeMKV will inform you and request a different location for the output. I don't recall it ever just ripping the file to a random location that I didn't point it to.
post #118 of 121 Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ This is the same for me. I've never found MakeMKV to select something at random or put it into a different folder than the one it display in the RHS box.
post #119 of 121 Old 12-26-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When the disc is scanned you'll get a list of all video segments on the disc. You can expand each of them to list all of the available audio tracks and subtitles. If you right-click on the top item you can unselect all items as they will be selected by default. Now, just pick the largest file and expand the list the select the audio and subtitle tracks you want to keep. Make sure the main title is checked and then click on the MakeMKV icon at the right of the window. The selected video segment and associated audio and subtitle tracks will be ripped and converted to an mkv container. You can also select the default location for all future rips. If there is insufficient space I believe MakeMKV will inform you and request a different location for the output. I don't recall it ever just ripping the file to a random location that I didn't point it to.

Thanks for the step by step info, what's odd is that I rip two movies last week, I'm just having issues right after the initial two. I managed to rip Despicable Me 2, well it pop in Media Browser. I even tried to get the 3 short features gotta see how that turned out.

Hm didn't think I had a choice as to where I want the flick to go, did notice the location/ drive when scanning where it was being rip to. I just have to get my self familiar with it until it hurts.

djoel
post #120 of 121 Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone have a working link to the guide in the opening post? I'm new to this (ripping my DVD collection) and need some help.
Reply Home Theater Computers