Possible to get surround with Netflix and PC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix was launched in Norway yesterday. I can't however see any support for surround sound using a HTPC.
Is there no way to get 5.1 with Netflix using a computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Stereo only on PC so far. One of the reasons many use another device for NFlix along with picture quality issues (although recent reports that high end machines play HD NFlix well).
There is a new Windows 8 app out, we can hope that one gets 5.1 audio eventually.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Wonder if they are they overlooking PC/Mac users because of potential hacking or is it to force comsumers to buy a product from supporting brands. This shouldn't be difficult to implement properly.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Piracy is the main concern for PCs. It is probably not even up to Netflix to decide. Studios mandated such limitations on PCs.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by omholt View Post

Wonder if they are they overlooking PC/Mac users because of potential hacking or is it to force comsumers to buy a product from supporting brands. This shouldn't be difficult to implement properly.

thats probably a major reason.

another one I've read but cannot find data to back up is that Silverlight simply can't support Dolby Digital 5.1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Piracy of streams from Netflix is the last thing the studios should worry about. Everything is available on disk or bluray as a much higher quality source.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Piracy of streams from Netflix is the last thing the studios should worry about. Everything is available on disk or bluray as a much higher quality source.

That's not true. Studios care about piracy of any form. Just because you can rip DVD or BD, studios should just distribute other forms of content without any DRM. The latest BD anti-piracy measure Cinavia even had built-in measures against movies recorded in movie theatre using a handycam.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

^I agree, but in relative terms the Netflix platform might be one of the least desirable ways for a pirate to get content. Certainly they still need DRM, but to what degree they invest in making it unbreakable should be related to the risk it poses. In that regard, holding out on 5.1 audio makes zero sense for PC streaming.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You can't make sense of anything from studios. They are mainly driven by fears not rationales.

But you have to live with them. Netflix would not implemented these restrictions if it is not from Studios. Without studios' blessing, Netflix got nothing to stream.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Curious, are we certain it is the studios' restriction? I have my doubts, but certainly don't know.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't think it's much more difficult to hack a Playstation or Xbox.

The industry needs to wake up and stop making things difficult for consumers. I would gladly pay for quality, but I want to choose what platform I use.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curious, are we certain it is the studios' restriction? I have my doubts, but certainly don't know.

Netflix has no incentive to do this if studios aren't breathing on their back. You pay monthly fee. Netflix get paid that way. It doesn't matter if you stream nothing, stream some or stream a lot.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Netflix has no incentive to do this if studios aren't breathing on their back. You pay monthly fee. Netflix get paid that way. It doesn't matter if you stream nothing, stream some or stream a lot.

Not sure what point you are making.

Netflix wants as many customers as they can get, the studios want the same, they (the studios) get paid based on what is watched. If 5.1 on a PC helps expand the customer base then they should both support it. I think that NF believes there is not enough market demand for this particular feature to make it worthwhile to re-work the existing PC setup. I don't think DRM has much to do with it, they already have DRM.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Not sure what point you are making.
Netflix wants as many customers as they can get, the studios want the same, they (the studios) get paid based on what is watched. If 5.1 on a PC helps expand the customer base then they should both support it. I think that NF believes there is not enough market demand for this particular feature to make it worthwhile to re-work the existing PC setup. I don't think DRM has much to do with it, they already have DRM.
Studios do not want you to rent or stream at all. They want you to purchase the DVD and Bluray... all six versions of them. This is why they have started to put lower quality audio tracks on rental discs. Content makers fear the PC and refuse to embrace it. They've been brought kicking and screaming just to the point we have now.

Netflix has more incentive with set top boxes than they do with the PC. With the PC, they have one revenue stream... the subscriber. With set top boxes, they double the revenue stream because they get paid from the STB manufacturer as well as the subscriber. They might get around to surround sound on the PC (if it is not a contractual limitation) but I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
We can see where that strategy will get the Movie Studios.. Just rewind about 15 years and take a look at the music studios.

post #16 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Netflix has more incentive with set top boxes than they do with the PC. With the PC, they have one revenue stream... the subscriber. With set top boxes, they double the revenue stream because they get paid from the STB manufacturer as well as the subscriber. They might get around to surround sound on the PC (if it is not a contractual limitation) but I wouldn't hold my breath.
They could at least let software like PowerDVD work better with Netflix.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM

Sounds like something the studios would do... I recently tried out PCM audio from my set top box to find out that it downmixes to 2 channel stereo when you use an optical toslink cable instead of HDMI .... anyone seeing a pattern here? Dolby Digital is fine...don't see why netflix won't stream it to my PC... I compensate with pro logic II but you can tell the difference ...especially when someone speaks in a certain tone and the pro logic shifts their voice to one of the back speakers according to the matrix profile.

I even ran in to this problem with renting a movie from the Itunes store... couldn't get anything better than 2 channel audio because my audio receiver is hooked up via an optical cable... I'm not dropping 300$ for a new receiver with an HDMI input just to ease their paranoia. Thankfully Itunes refunded me when I complained about the lack of advertised dolby digital.

Solution:
Just rent the blu rays ... rip the blu rays... and convert with handbrake ^^ It's not like we're having the option to pay for some form of exclusive on demand service at a single flat rate that provides 1080p and 5.1 audio to our HTPC's that we have invested so much time and money into so might as well make our own on demand service. Vudu chargers per movie, but at least doesn't require an entire cable/satellite package.

I mean they're trying to prevent piracy but really they're causing it.
Oh and if I wanted to make a local archive of everything on Netflix ... which makes no sense whatsoever because the amount of storage space I would need for that would break my wallet and consume years of my life to do so... and would require me to maintain a subscription to Netflix for the years it would take to rip all their content ANYWAY .... I mean let me count the ways that that does not make sense..... But if I really wanted to I could just hook up an HD capture device to the analog outputs of one of these many streaming devices available ... BOOM because digital to analog to digital rips are way way better than ripping it directly from a blu ray... almost as good as capturing their low bit rate netflix streams ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIWHMb3JxmE
post #18 of 18 Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The Win8 Metro Netflix app does surround sound and HD video.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page