Best Network Media Player to play Blu Ray ISO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recently decided to rip movies and store them on my PC. I would like to play movies on my HT.

To rip movies, I'm trying out DVDFab. After burning movie... since none of my devices plays Blu Ray ISO's, I converted to mp4... so I can play via apple TV. Converting to mp4, (a particular movie) reduced file size from 28GB to 8GB.

I do like that I'm able to play movies on my Apple TV... but what I don't like is that the incoming audio is PCM... Ideally I would like DTS-HD like original movie. Is the only way to get DTS-HD is by playing Blu Ray ISO ?

In order to get DTS-HD audio, what network media player are recommended that play Blu Ray ISO ?

Note: Checking around... looks like the below play Blu Ray ISO's.
AC Ryan Playon!HD3D 3D
BT3584D

Thanks in advance.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM

Liked: 12
I haven't looked into this in some time but I remember popcorn hour or the dune players ? Are they still around ?
post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 07:14 PM

I haven't looked into this in some time but I remember popcorn hour or the dune players ? Are they still around ?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
There's a separate content streamer forum here, but I think the general consensus is the Dune players are the best and most reliable. The Popcorn Hour C300 and A300 also play ISOs. Keep in mind that a lot of other streamers claim blu-ray and ISO support but don't actually support blu-ray menus. Instead they have "Lite" menus that usually assume the longest track in the blu-ray ISO is the main feature.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 PM

2 years or so ago when I was looking into ripping everything dune was pretty rock solid for ISO playback with dts-hd and all the other sound formats. I imagine its even more advanced today.

The only issue I remember was for video output it changed something or wasn't as good if you compared it to a highend player with the orginal disk. That's only if you had a 3k projector or something would you really notice.

Also what about the new oppo players, I was reading somewhere you could hook a hd up to them and play ISO files.

edit: just realized this was in the computer section. what about a i5 build with ivybridge, I'm sure the onboard graphics should be able to do full ISO playback? we made it right, I haven't read up on htpc's in a long time. hd audio was a pita for bluray back in the day on a computer. Popcorn hour or dune just worked for the most part.

where are we at today with hd audio blu ray ISO playback on a htpc, is it still as much of a pita as it used to be?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page