Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7? - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 497 Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Edit: renethx (I think) why'd you delete your post?

I don't know - I feel for any HTPC that does Live TV viewing or recording, WMC's TV backend/setup/ease of use/even GUI (TV features/settings GUI - not overall GUI) is the best. MediaPortal comes second IMO, but has a slight edge only in backend features over WMC. TV setup especially and experience on XBMC isn't great by any means; and I don't think you even can on Plex. Not to mention you don't just have to worry about or manage XBMC in that case, but also whatever backend you choose. If all I had was locally stored ripped/downloaded content then I would just go XBMC or Plex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 497 Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 371
whoops, accidentally I deleted my post. staknhalo's post is a reply to

"WMC is a kind of necessary evil, you absolutely need it only when you watch / record "Copy Once" flagged contents with a "CableCARD" TV tuner in "United States". smile.gif Otherwise there are better options."

Yup, I mostly agree, WMC is better for TV. BTW what recording applications are popular in Europe? Still WMC?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #483 of 497 Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Metro is still very un-remote friendly, and even if you can get basic navigation working, the app itself then has to work properly with a remote too. As MS make no mandatory requirements that a remote control has to be supported, very few will. I've always thought Metro had the potential to be a great HTPC interface, but it doesn't look like this is going to happen any time soon (or at all!).
post #484 of 497 Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post

I've been playing with win 8 today a bit, not hating it AS much, but weird that apps running in Metro stop when you switch to desktop, tiling in IE is weird too. Can I run something like XBMC with Win 8 without WMC?

PMFJI, but I am running XBMC on win 8 pro with a Hauppauge 2250 dual-ATSC tuner. There is a project to create a backend for XBMC that runs off of WMC (ServerWMC) with PVR clients for XBMC on Windows, Linux and RasPi. It still is in the tweak stage, but it is up and running. Details in this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171216

For now I do everything using a keyboard. I have an ehome remote and eventually will get around setting up XBMC for it and then shift to my Harmony. Droid app is also an option for control (don't do i-anything so can't comment on that).

scott s.
post #485 of 497 Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In Windows 7 Media Center, under the Tasks menu, there was an option to Burn CD/DVD. Is it just me or is that feature gone from Windows 8 Media Center?
If it is just me, how do I get it back? Or is this another case of Microsoft removing functionality and calling it an upgrade?
post #486 of 497 Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I am considering upgrading from W7 x64 PRO to windows 8 for my workstation. It's not an HTPC. Worth it ? Advice ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #487 of 497 Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I have 8 and 8.1 on several PCs. In my experience, it's mostly a PITA. It has a few nice improvements. But it also has Metro, which is worthless, and has many incompatibilities and annoyances. Netflix looks really good on it though.

post #488 of 497 Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Surface RT and it really works well on the tablet. I bought W8 Pro for my gaming pc when MS were selling it off cheap but I just never could bring myself to install it. Its just not optimised for a mouse and the main benefits of aesthetics I believe would be negated by the mouse on a tablet experience in my opinion. It is a real pity they couldn't have developed something a little better.

I thought about getting one of those Logiteck touch peripherals which could help. Would be interested in users opinion on it when using one of those or similar.

post #489 of 497 Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can't you use 8 without Metro? I don't see what the big deal is.
post #490 of 497 Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Metro is always lurking in the shadows. One false move, and Bam, you're in Metroland. That's one of the many annoyances. I've already accepted defeat. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

post #491 of 497 Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Metro is always lurking in the shadows. One false move, and Bam, you're in Metroland. That's one of the many annoyances. I've already accepted defeat. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Good description above. Its ok with a piece of glass in your hand but not with a mouse. On the tablets its the other way round one false move and your in desktop land, without a mouse. The whole idea of windows 8 was flawed from the very first time they sat down at the board table to design it. All things to all devices is just a stupid idea. If I were bill gates I would have fired anyone involved in the development of W8 (tablet OS masquerading as a desktop OS), XBONE (a console masquerading as a cable tv set top box with ****** hardware) and the Windows Phone (maybe it not as big a failure but most people hate them).

They have made such a balls of it all its hard to believe. Gates obviously doesn't give 2 shits anymore.

But Windows 7 is excellent (after you configure some things in the registry to make it suitable for desktop use rather than laptop use such as disabling core parking, REALLY)

Its like the games industry now, talk some **** at some high level meetings, market the **** out of a **** product and just dump it out there half baked for joe schmoe to lap it up because there are so few alternatives.

post #492 of 497 Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Can't you use 8 without Metro? I don't see what the big deal is.

Of course, but if you have a Win 7 license sitting around, why pay for a Win 8 if you don't need apps? Other than a bit faster boot up can'tt hink of much advantage, unless losing the Aero look from Win7 is an upgrade (easy to turn Aero off in Win7 though).

scott s.
post #493 of 497 Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I mentioned incompatibilities because one of my laptops that came with Win 8 still doesn't have a working driver for 8.1. And I can't roll back to the Win 8 driver because it doesn't work at all in 8.1. So I have to limp along with a barely functional 8.1 driver, direct from Microsoft no less. If I could easily put Win 7 on that laptop, I would. I don't think "upgrade" and "Windows 8" should ever be in the same sentence. I basically paid Microsoft $15 for a downgrade.

post #494 of 497 Old 02-06-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
My fear with windows 8 was driver problems and compatability at first. I am thinking now I might want to make the jump since much of that seems worked out. Is windows 8 with Start menu added faster than 7 ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #495 of 497 Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

My fear with windows 8 was driver problems and compatability at first. I am thinking now I might want to make the jump since much of that seems worked out. Is windows 8 with Start menu added faster than 7 ?

I think it is, but the Start menu has nothing to do with the speed.

post #496 of 497 Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you wait until the end of this year you may get windows 8 that can boot to the start menu and is designed to use a keyboard and a mouse or even get Windows 9. With Microsoft Windows skipping a version has regularly been a good idea.
post #497 of 497 Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

If you wait until the end of this year you may get windows 8 that can boot to the start menu and is designed to use a keyboard and a mouse or even get Windows 9. With Microsoft Windows skipping a version has regularly been a good idea.

There is no Start Menu. The change that is coming is simply the option selected by default to boot to the desktop, which was added in 8.1 but not selected by default. Technically he did skip a version if you count 8.1 coming after 8.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page