Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

You'll only get the full speed experience with a SSD and modern Core i CPU. Anything less and there is no point. Then again, its 2012 - why are you still on a Core 2 or Pentium 4?

I am on a Core2Duo. My HTPC plays everything I want, records 4 channels via CableCard simultaneously while playing a BluRay. Why should I spend lots of money for no changes?

As a note, I am running an SSD - but that was to vastly reduce the reboot time and for no other reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

Here's what you'd get with Windows 8 that's worthwhile for an HTPC;
Faster boot times (but who reboots their HTPC continuously though!).
Here's what's not worthwhile;
A tripe of an interface in Metro that you will never truly be able to get away from, and looks like it was designed by AND FOR a 6 year old
A hugely dumbed down O/S of immense scale that removes further huge amounts of configuration options unless you want to revert to hacking the registry
A backup/restore system that doesn't actually backup what you want or what you'd expect
A 'flattened' desktop interface that wouldn't look out of place in Windows 3.1
A search system that is so particular about what it indexes it makes it almost useless
A constant wrench as your thrown from the classic desktop (designed for productivity) to a touch interface (designed for consumption)
An interface like Metro that only runs apps full screen, makes a mockery of multi-tasking and causes everything to be so much harder than it needs to be
A version of MC that will no longer auto-start from boot, now costs money to actually own (but has had zero effort put into it) and is only included to appease the same people who would slate MS to the hills if they dropped it (as they surely will in Win9)
Multi-monitor support that doesn't work properly with the Metro/Desktop cludge
A modern, 21st centry O/S that forces people back into the necessity of using hot-keys to actually navigate the damn interface!
Windows 8 will make the Vista failure look like a success. 'nuff said.

Your post makes it obvious you have not actually used Win8.
post #93 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
well I dont see how that differs from Android and IOs, its just an OS geared for touch screen based devices, in terms of traditional desktops and laptops yeah Windows 8 sucks, for everything else its not to bad.

post #94 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I am on a Core2Duo. My HTPC plays everything I want, records 4 channels via CableCard simultaneously while playing a BluRay. Why should I spend lots of money for no changes?
As a note, I am running an SSD - but that was to vastly reduce the reboot time and for no other reason.

A Core i3 3220 would be at least 30% faster and use less power. Tell me, have you ever experienced frame drops, lag or stutter? An i3 would be an ideal update.
post #95 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:

A Core i3 3220 would be at least 30% faster and use less power. Tell me, have you ever experienced frame drops, lag or stutter? An i3 would be an ideal update.

Nope, no drops, studder, or anything at all. Faster is not needed and less power would take many years to make up for the hundreds spent on the upgrade.
post #96 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Just so everyone knows, there is a problem with the install of Media Center right now. If you try to install and it fails and rolls back, Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on it. I just got off a call with MS about it.
post #97 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Just so everyone knows, there is a problem with the install of Media Center right now. If you try to install and it fails and rolls back, Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on it. I just got off a call with MS about it.

I installed Media Center on multiple PCs in the last hour and none of mine had any problems. All the PCs are different, they share no common hardware either.
post #98 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM

They said it is working about half the time. They are puzzled.
post #99 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416563&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL102612&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102612-_-EMC-102612-Index-_-OperatingSystems-_-32416563-L0C
Nope, Newegg is selling the "Pro Pack" that includes WMC for $70.
I'm sticking with Windows 7, thanks.

Yup, why pay $70 to replace something that is already working well? MS was crafty enough to force XP users to buy vista for direct X 11, but their is no such need with win8. By the way I was an early adopter of every previous windows release, I even ran win2000.
post #100 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Yup, why pay $70 to replace something that is already working well? MS was crafty enough to force XP users to buy vista for direct X 11, but their is no such need with win8. By the way I was an early adopter of every previous windows release, I even ran win2000.

$15 if you have 7. Just say your PC is new and you'll be able to download 8. Its around 2GB or so.
post #101 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Not for a long time for me - its been very difficult getting a stable environment under Win7 for TMT5/MyMovies/AMD drivers, and lately things have been ok - no lip sync issues, not stuttering....I would not risk an upgrade right now which will certainly be a step backwards I would never presume for one moment that everything is well tested under 8 out of the gate.

If you have spare computer to test, thats fine, but if its your otherwise operational HTPC, I would be extremely cautious...
post #102 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I like everything in Win8 except for metro and the loss of Aero glass visuals; which basically is Win7.  I personally only need to see my desktop with quicklaunch icons + addressbar at the bottom to be most productive.  I guess once I upgrade to WIn8 on my primary PC I'll have to install Stardock Start8 / Windowsblinds.

Quote:

Nope. Win + D = desktop. Or just hit the Windows key. One shortcut/button press and Metro vanishes. Desktop is essentially identical to 7. Charms are Win + C, all apps Win + Q, just type to search and enter to start. Win 8 is a great OS. Just spend an hour learning two or three new shortcuts. The start menu has been reduced to Win+X, a power menu with critical shortcuts to the guts of the OS.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #103 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade and have a code for a free installation of WMC. But what happens to my Windows 7 WMC recordings during the upgrade, especially since the WMC 8 can only be added after the Win 8 upgrade? My htpc is a secondary computer where I'm often multitasking while watching a program. Is this not possible with Win8 or just limited to a certain interface?

Thanks in advance.
post #104 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

Unless some kick-butt 3rd party HTPC apps are designed for windows 8 that aren't available on Win7, I see absolutely no reason to change your HTPC to Win8. Unlike Win7 over Vista, there are no updates or improvements to WMC that I've heard of.
I've been using Win8 on a touchscreen HP laptop. Took a little getting used to, but it is a nice OS for touchscreens. I really don't care to update a regular laptop to Win8. This OS was built around their new tablet. They figured they'd get extra revenue stream by also marketing it for existing PCs, which is a smart company move.

As you mentioned, Win8 was built for touchscreens and tablets. So unless you have that, it doesn't seem like there is any big incentive to upgrade. I'll be sticking with Win7, that is at least until I ever replace my existing desktop for something else. That's just my two cents worth.
post #105 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$15 if you have 7. Just say your PC is new and you'll be able to download 8. Its around 2GB or so.

OK might be worth $15 just to play with. Is it an iso image and can I do a full wipe and install?
post #106 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

OK might be worth $15 just to play with. Is it an iso image and can I do a full wipe and install?

You can clean install but there needs to be an old copy of 7 on the HDD. I don't think you can clean install to a bare empty drive (its up in the air, try it and see if you can. I'm curious). Yes, its an .iso you can burn to disc or stick on a USB, the upgrade assistant gives you the choices.
post #107 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Nope, no drops, studder, or anything at all. Faster is not needed and less power would take many years to make up for the hundreds spent on the upgrade.
I also run an e6300 Wolfdale, with 4 gigs of ram, and an AMD 5670 vid card. I also have the Ceton, and have zero issues where I need it to be more powerful. No drops, freezes, etc. Everything just works. And it is on Win 7 32bit. Like Cybrsage, if it works just fine, why change it?
post #108 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like you can install 8 on a bare hard drive.
http://superuser.com/questions/493131/windows-8-pro-install-on-empty-hard-drive-allowed

For $40, it's pretty tempting to try it out. Glad I have til Jan 31 to decide.
post #109 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Good luck, but I tried installing to a formatted drive and it didn't activate my key.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #110 of 497 Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

I also run an e6300 Wolfdale, with 4 gigs of ram, and an AMD 5670 vid card. I also have the Ceton, and have zero issues where I need it to be more powerful. No drops, freezes, etc. Everything just works. And it is on Win 7 32bit. Like Cybrsage, if it works just fine, why change it?

Its only $15, the future focus will be Win 8 first and Win 7 second (if at all), and it is faster for core features - file copying etc. That's a start.
post #111 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

... I would also like to away out of the having to unlock since on HTPC, there is only one user setup and not concerned about other people using it.
You have to manually go to the user passwords applet to enable auto login to a specific account. From run menu (WIN+R):

control userpasswords2

There is a checkbox to enable login and you have to save the password. This feature has been in Windows from at least Vista. Unfortunately W8 requires you to be a power user to get a similar level of usability.
post #112 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Good luck, but I tried installing to a formatted drive and it didn't activate my key.

I meant starting the process with win7 installed but choose wipe and install as an option rather than upgrade.
post #113 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

Sounds like you can install 8 on a bare hard drive.
http://superuser.com/questions/493131/windows-8-pro-install-on-empty-hard-drive-allowed
For $40, it's pretty tempting to try it out. Glad I have til Jan 31 to decide.

That is not how I read that thread, to me it looks like you can't install on a bare drive.

David
post #114 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread is making me giggle a bit.

Microsoft is in a no-win situation here. People bitch and moan because companies seem to put out the same thing over and over again with little changes (see Apple), but still buy it. Then, when someone comes out with something completely different (see Microsoft), new and refreshing, people are all pissed off because they are uncomfortable and it's not like they had. Sad, but true.

I am in the middle. I love Windows Phone, huge Xbox fan, and think Windows 8 is awesome...for a tablet or touchscreen PC. Playing with this OS on WP or tablet is super simple and pretty, without sacrificing performance. On a PC with keyboard and mouse, it is a bit of a challenge. It still works, but not as smooth and intuitive as the tablet or touch.

In my opinion, Microsoft has made the right changes/moves to create a nice suite of products that work nicely together (Xbox, Windows Phone, Surface/tablets and Windows 8). You get familiar with one, you get familiar with basic functions on all. They have and will be leveraging the Xbox brand more as the OS ages. Developers will come and will boost the entire ecosystem. Don't fret that it isn't all here now. It will be. Apple didn't have it all day one either...
post #115 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Windows has looked the same for 17 years. It was time for a change. Obviously there is a steep learning curve here but I'm all in. If nothing else, I'll just suck it up and buy Start8.
post #116 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Windows has looked the same for 17 years. It was time for a change. Obviously there is a steep learning curve here but I'm all in. If nothing else, I'll just suck it up and buy Start8.
It was time for a change, but not a change for the worst. If they were trying to make something simple, elegant and beautiful like iOS, they failed miserably. Instead fo making windows better, they made it a lot worse. Don't throw out 17 years of refinement and functionality just for the sake of being different. Win 8 is a huge step in the wrong direction. Reminds me of Microsoft Bob years ago, and we all know how that turned out.

Why the rush to "upgrade" to Win 8 on HTPCs when it's well known that Win 8 add no new WMC functionality, will never work with Ceton networked tuners, and breaks several add-ins which will never be updated again? On top of that, it's just a horrible OS. Sure it's fast. But when you take a steaming pile of crap and launch it from a cannon it will be fast. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a steaming pile of crap. So just to have something different, you guys are willing to sacrifice a ton of functionality and stability, and pay for the privilege. It makes no sense to me.
post #117 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivatech View Post

You have to manually go to the user passwords applet to enable auto login to a specific account. From run menu (WIN+R):
control userpasswords2
There is a checkbox to enable login and you have to save the password. This feature has been in Windows from at least Vista. Unfortunately W8 requires you to be a power user to get a similar level of usability.
I'm not sure what qualifies anyone as a "power user". All you need to enable automatic login is get a command prompt and type in "netplwiz" without the quotes. Uncheck the box that requires all users to use a password to login and then you'll be prompted to enter your password twice. Once you do that you can get into Windows automatically at bootup without having to login. For previous versions of Windows you just typed it into the search field on the Start menu.
post #118 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM

I installed windows 8 pro and installed the free MediaCenter addon
I've got the Hauppauge colosus PCIe card working in windows and its detected in media center 8 but I can't get it to show any channels when at TV Setup the scanning just sits at 0% and doesn't progress.

if anyone has got past this point i'd love to hear it.
post #119 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 02:28 PM

The draw of Windows 8 for me is being able to RDP in to do maintenance. That has real value. However, no MediaBrowser and the kludgy way to automatically start MediaCenter give me pause.
post #120 of 497 Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

That is not how I read that thread, to me it looks like you can't install on a bare drive.
David

I'm buying a new HDD today. Will report how I get along with a clean install to an empty drive.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page