Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 502
woohoo! I got my first key for WMC on my first PC. now awaiting the second key for WMC on my other PC...

installing right now...

OMG. when I read that there's no warning about a reboot during the install of WMC, they weren't kidding! at the beginning of the process, it seemed like any other typical install saying that multiple reboots would be needed. but then it actually did reboot very quickly and without warning. luckily I wasn't working on any documents, but man, I can imagine gasping at losing what I was working on.

reminds me of the other UI installation mistake for Windows 8. on one of my PCs, it seemed to be hanging at a purple screen forever. I waited and waited and waited. There was no feedback on what was happening. No text. No spinning wheel. No moving anything. The HDD light didn't even seem to be blinking. I was just about to restart the whole thing when finally I came to an installation page. I'm very used to OS installation and all the problems that could happen so I could imagine people new to the process freaking out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The installer said it was going to reboot during installation, you clicked Install, then were shocked when it rebooted during installation?
post #183 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

True, but why bother even doing that when they already have a working system setup that will be used for the life of the product?
I didn't say that's what they should have done. Like I said, plenty of reasons to do it the way they did.

OT: Can you, Twiddles88 (or anyone else with a working Win8 setup) weigh in at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435581/need-help-hiding-the-scrollbars-in-ie10-full-screen-mode ? I haven't had a chance to reload Win8 yet.
post #184 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Finally got my WMC key email this morning, took roughly 48 hours.
Took me between 24-48 hours.

post #185 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

Because it stops being free at the end of the year, at which point you have to use the store to buy a key and download it. Until the end of the year, they email you a key for free so you can download it from the store. It would be a waste of time and manpower to create a new way of downloading it for just two months.
My concern is what happens after the activation key expires in January 2013 and you need to reinstall the OS? Will it ask you to buy WMC again?

post #186 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The installer said it was going to reboot during installation, you clicked Install, then were shocked when it rebooted during installation?

this doesn't follow typical windows behavior. every major windows installation that requires a reboot will ask you if you would like to reboot now or later. everything in windows requires a prompt unless you disable it.
post #187 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

My concern is what happens after the activation key expires in January 2013 and you need to reinstall the OS? Will it ask you to buy WMC again?

if they follow precedence with the xbox marketplace. once you own it, you own it. once a purchase is made, you can delete, redownload, and reinstall as many times as you like.

then again, this wasn't purchased through the windows store so who knows. but there was a purchase process (where it asks you to either buy it or enter a code).
post #188 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dellphotos/8131934367/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9233038/Demand_for_Windows_8_exceeding_Windows_7_Ballmer_says
Not saying anything is set in stone, I only know I went to a best buy the day after launch and all their yogas were cleaned out. All versions of surface moved up to 3 week preorders from you get it at launch day. I do not think this is a crazy selling OS but I do not think the common consumer views it anywhere as negatively as you see on various forums with technocrats. Microsoft is typically the slow and steady performer so these types of sales are somewhat uncharecteristic, if they can add that to their usual slow and steady performance they should be in good shape. The real question is will this win them market share with phones. Right now google is the clear winner in the phone space and if the trend continues we will see them able to leverage that position to start making inroads into laptops, maybe desktops.
I have windows 8 on one of my computers, somethings I really love other things I really hate, but it goes with the territory never ran into an OS release that did not do that too me. The only thing is I have an open mind. On a side note my daughter was banned from google after I activated her an account on that PC, so apparently google is spying on something to do with MS emails.

Google is already making inroads into laptops, the new $250 chromebook is the number one selling laptop on Amazon. Google docs is also a pretty big threat to MS's profit margins, for most users its a great free alternative. One major bummer to chrome OS is that your printer has to support cloud printing, there is no way to install printer drivers. Alternatively you can set up your printer through a windows PC running chrome browser, but of course this is the weakest link in the security of chrome OS.
post #189 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Google is already making inroads into laptops, the new $250 chromebook is the number one selling laptop on Amazon. Google docs is also a pretty big threat to MS's profit margins, for most users its a great free alternative. One major bummer to chrome OS is that your printer has to support cloud printing, there is no way to install printer drivers. Alternatively you can set up your printer through a windows PC running chrome browser, but of course this is the weakest link in the security of chrome OS.

Pffft, cloud junk. Do you really want to rely on a constant internet connection wherever you are? And a laptop by Google? I'm not giving Google even more of my data.
The Jedi and sebberry like this.
post #190 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Liked: 10
From what I see from YouTube previews, I like that they replaced the cluttered Start menu with a new screen. I also like what it seems like a scrollable desktop for more space. What I couldn't find, though, were any core features that would justify an upgrade besides the UI. The Microsoft store feature concerns me: I have never seen such a store work perfectly. Maybe for a highly integrated OS like Android, but I highly doubt they could get every third party vendor to eventually use it as their point of sales -- and such a feature would only be truly useful if that were the case, that there's more than 90% consistency. I was also looking forward to ReFS to replace NTFS, but Microsoft would only include it in their servers, and early reports say it is extremely slow. In other words, the file server is stuck with Solaris for the time being. As for Windows 8 WMC, I'll stick with XBMC, thank you.
post #191 of 497 Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

now, for a pure HTPC, I'm not sure how much difference Windows 8 makes because HTPC uses are pretty limited... You record shows or you play back media.

But for the expanded uses of a PC that a typical user does, beyond watching media, I think Windows 8 is really nice.

The things I really like about Windows 8:

1) it's definitely faster to boot and faster to wake up. a lot less processes are loaded than with Windows 7. On my desktop, Windows 7 would boot to the desktop pretty quickly. But then it spent the next couple of minutes still loading all the things into place. Windows 8 will get me to the desktop in a "done" state much faster.

On my laptop, Windows 8 on a HDD will boot in about the same time as the same laptop with Windows 7 and an Intel 80GB SSD. I kid you not. The reason I know is the enterprise evaluation version of Windows 8 would not install on this laptop hardware with the SSD and I was forced to use the 500GB 5400RPM HDD. Alas, I can't install Windows 8 on this laptop as it's too old and will never get WDDM 1.2 drivers for full functionality. And of course the problem with the SSD is a clincher.

2) The Windows Store is pretty awesome. I already downloaded a ton of completely free software. The days of having to buy overpriced software is over. I remember way back when, I was shopping for a virtual keyboard for my TabletPC and people were trying to charge $15+! for a virtual keyboard! something that would cost $1-3 on a mobile device. and these aren't freeware level quality (well, some of them are), there are a number of really great apps for free.

3) Xbox integration is great and getting better. I downloaded the slick new Microsoft Solitaire app. All the solitaire variants including my favorite, Spider Solitaire, but now it looks like a modern game with all the slick graphics and sound. You can even substitute your own background wallpapers and even wallpaper the playing cards. Minesweeper never looked better. And there's a bunch of new free Microsoft games that are great like Wordament. Plus there are achievements and it all ties into your gamertag achievements total.

I can use SmartGlass now and it was pretty nifty with the GPS feature of Forza Horizon on my laptop while the main game was on the main screen.

4) Xbox Music is very slick! Now, as a player for my own old music, it sucks. Functionality sucks compared to things like WinAmp. BUT... the streaming and ability to add streamed music to your library is just plain awesome. Any song you listen to and like, you can add to your own library and it feels like you own it. You can arrange your playlist with the songs you added to your collection. You get slick bios and wallpapers for all the artists. I learned things about Nicky Minaj that wasn't even in Wikipedia. And any song you can think of, you can listen to immediately and immediately add it to your collection. And the SmartDJ feature is pretty neat. You'll find artists similar to yours and hear songs that you never have heard of normally and can add to your collection. Though some of the suggested artists will catch you offguard. Like I think it suggested Kelly Clarkson when I was listening to Nicky Minaj.

5) Windows Media Center is faster and more responsive. There's some lost functionality such as the Internet TV. So no more CBS streaming. Setup is a little different and faster. Otherwise, WMC looks nearly the same and has nearly the same functionality.

6) I really like the new Start screen. Back in the Windows 98/XP days, I used to organize the Start menu by changing the nesting. Then with Windows 7, the search was good enough that I didn't organize anymore. You just start typing notepad and then load it.

Windows 8 has the same functionality. Hit the start key and start typing. But now I can easily organize the Start screen the way I like it. And it's easier than before. You just drag and drop. With Windows 98/XP, I'd open up the explorer view and reorganize. Here, it's kind of easier.

7) the sports app, the news app, and the weather app are awesome! the weather app beats any weather program I had in Windows 7. the presentation is super slick. the sports app is amazing how it can not only present the sports articles in a nice format, but it can collate articles for your favorite teams as well as shows stats and other neat tidbits.

as for the newsreader, this is how a newsreader is supposed to work. you choose an article and it's properly formatted in the reader. In Android ICS, for example, when you select an article to read, it launches the web browser. what's the point? If I wanted to read it in a browser, I would simply choose google news in the browser. what's the point of a newsreader that just launches the browser?

now something that is cool but somewhat weird is the people app. the cool thing is that it centralizes your social stuff and your contacts. It collates contact information from places like email, facebook, linkedin, etc. for you. So you see your contacts but there's more information than just contact information. So I can see that person's twitter, facebook updates for example organized by that person. My notifications are organized by person and so if a person throws out a facebook post, I can respond to it.

now the weird with the people app is this... since the people app collates all your social stuff together, people who you don't even know are in your people list. in the traditional world, only people you know are in your contacts list. but this people list includes people you follow in twitter, for example, and all the people you added in facebook who you friended but aren't really friends. so i guess it's neat that it shows Lea Michele from Glee as part of my people list. but I don't actually know her (though I wish I did!). So if you're the type of person that follows a zillion Twitter people, your people list will be huge.

don't be confused by the pic. I highlighted in red the famous people I don't really know but followed on Twitter. And my primary monitor is a vertical portrait monitor while my secondary monitor is a traditional landscape horizontal monitor.

Okay, now for things I don't like:
1) Mail sucks. it's so basic with so little functionality. I can't even choose to print a single page of an email. There was an email that was 1 page and spilled over a little onto the next page. I didn't want to waste a sheet on what was basically a footer but there was no option to only print the first page.

2) messaging sucks. same reason. so basic with so little functionality.

3) Xbox Video is a nonfactor for me because it assumes I want to buy or rent. A lot of the movies I made (e.g., gameplay videos or personal backup) are in MKV which don't play in Xbox Video as far as I can tell. though to be fair, I've spent a total of 5 minutes in Xbox Video. but from what I saw, I didn't like.

4) there's a design philosophy thing that will take adjustment on my part. in the old windows days, every program was "self-sufficient". meaning, that I would load a program and I would use features specific to that program. so I would have to browse the file menu, the edit menu, etc. you learn the program.

well, in windows 8, some of the features become system features rather than within the program. for example, I'll use Wikipedia as an example. In the web browser, you launch the Wikipedia page and look for the search text box to type your argument and find it. it's within the web browser. you're not using the windows 7 search box for wikipedia.

well, there's no search box in the wikipedia app for windows 8. which confused a ton of people, including me. however, you bring up the context-sensitive search that's in windows while you're in wikipedia and it knows to search wikipedia. so when you bring up the windows search feature in windows store, it searches the windows store. if you bring up windows search while in the Xbox Music app, it searches Xbox Music. So no longer are you using a search function built into that program. You are using the exact same technique at a system level and it knows where to search. Really cool. But really confusing when you're coming from an old Windows paradigm. Which means that once you do understand how things are done in Windows 8, it should become easier because now you can use the same universal features.

If you read the reviews for the wikipedia app, the people who gave it low scores said the app needs a search function. however, they later changed their view on the app once they learned how search works now.

take the search feature of firefox. If you hit ctrl+f in firefox, the search toolbar pops up within firefox and you do your search. hit ctrl+f in chrome and a search box drops down and you do your search. but you're learning on an app-by-app basis. you hit ctrl+f and then you have to search for that search box specific to that program. but now, once a metro version comes out, if they do it the windows 8 way, you go to the windows search and no matter what browser you're using, you get the same result without having to find out the specific implementation of search is for that app.

that's the stuff off the top of my head.
Comp625 and vivatech like this.
post #192 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I think my local Future Shop still has an Acer Iconia W500 on for $399 (demo clearance). I'm half tempted to go back and see if it's there. I think the only downside is the lack of a pen input, which is quite helpful for a Win7 touch device.
post #193 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Pffft, cloud junk. Do you really want to rely on a constant internet connection wherever you are? And a laptop by Google? I'm not giving Google even more of my data.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
post #194 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I think my local Future Shop still has an Acer Iconia W500 on for $399 (demo clearance). I'm half tempted to go back and see if it's there. I think the only downside is the lack of a pen input, which is quite helpful for a Win7 touch device.

windows 8 differentiates between finger touch and digitizer pen. which means you cannot scroll with the pen nor can you write text with your finger.

i know because i tried it with an HP TX2000. which sucks because my TX2000 has a resistive screen so it would've been nice if I could scroll with the pen.
post #195 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

If you keep the key, you will be good. It will work the same as all your other product keys.
post #196 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Those Google Chormebooks (including the original free CR-48) make good Win8 netbooks. wink.gif
vivatech likes this.
post #197 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The laptop is by Samsung which is currently one of the highest quality manufacturers on the market. Trusting google's security for your data is probably safer than relying on local windows storage for your average user. Windows is a security nightmare for people that don't really know what they are doing. With chrome the user can not install malware, you can feel a lot more comfortable doing online investing and banking. By the way you can use google docs offline now so if you are stuck somewhere without internet you can still do productivity stuff. I set my mom up with the more expensive chromebook and she really likes it and I really like it. If you look at the user reviews on amazon and bestbuy the vast majority of people who own it like it. I would not own a chromebook as my only computer, but for a super easy to tote around compliment to my desktop its a great idea, and its a great way to get your technologically challenged parents or grandparents on the web.

"OS X is safer than Windows, and Linux is safer than OS X. But, to my mind, the safest option is Chrome OS" - computerworld http://blogs.computerworld.com/cybercrime-and-hacking/20713/defensive-computing-online-finances-go-chrome-os

PS I love google cloud by the way, I log into chrome on all three of my computers and I have everything exactly the same on all three computers. Its basically like having all your computers automatically synced. When I'm going on a trip to visit relatives I don't even bring my laptop anymore, I know I can just log into chrome and boom I have all my stuff.
post #198 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Those Google Chormebooks (including the original free CR-48) make good Win8 netbooks. wink.gif

I think the SSD drive is to small for a windows install. If you wanted more functionality, installing something like puppy linux and then chrome browser would give a similar experience. Of course once you install a more open OS you loose a lot of the security. Speaking of something similar I plan on setting up a chromium OS USB stick so I can boot into it on my windows machines for safer financial transactions.
post #199 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

windows 8 differentiates between finger touch and digitizer pen. which means you cannot scroll with the pen nor can you write text with your finger.
i know because i tried it with an HP TX2000. which sucks because my TX2000 has a resistive screen so it would've been nice if I could scroll with the pen.

HP has posted notes in their Windows upgrade information that states existing TouchScreens don't have full Windows 8 functionality, to get that requires a purchase of a new designed for Windows 8 system they will be releasing. Something about existing screens can only do two points. Since I was upgrading a desktop without Touch I didn't pay attention to the details.
post #200 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Windows is a security nightmare for people that don't really know what they are doing.
The even bigger nightmare is trusting all your data to a company whose main business model is to collect data and who collects private data without your knowledge or consent due to a "programming error".
DigiHand likes this.
post #201 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drparker151 View Post

HP has posted notes in their Windows upgrade information that states existing TouchScreens don't have full Windows 8 functionality, to get that requires a purchase of a new designed for Windows 8 system they will be releasing. Something about existing screens can only do two points. Since I was upgrading a desktop without Touch I didn't pay attention to the details.

in order to be certified as a windows 8 device, the minimum requirement is 5 or more points of touch.

my ancient tx2000 is a resistive screen with an active wacom digitizer. 1 point of touch.

2 points of touch will get you very far though in Windows 8. so if you have a tm2 or other hp computer with a capacitive screen, you'll like Windows 8. a lot of Windows XP wouldn't qualify for Windows 7 certification but run Windows 7 just fine.
post #202 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 168
To onlysublime's complaint about the people app, go into the options, and you can choose which accounts to show.

So, I have disabled Twitter. When a Twitter account is linked to a contact that is already in my address book, their twitter information shows, but for the other random people who I don't actually know, it does not.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #203 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

The even bigger nightmare is trusting all your data to a company whose main business model is to collect data and who collects private data without your knowledge or consent due to a "programming error".

Facebook has a history of this but so far Google's record is good on this. Leo Laporte says that Google's entire business model would be threatened if they got caught leaking your personal information Facebook style, so they are pretty adamant about privacy and security. What google does is look at the types of sites you look at in order to sell directly targeted adds, not a huge threat to privacy.
post #204 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The key words there are "so far". As for Facebook... this site really needs a barf emoticon.
post #205 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Here we go again, with Microsoft raking it in("a fool and his money are soon parted"). I've looked carefully at all the M/S operating systems since my installation of Windows XP Pro(32-bit) years ago and can't find anything whatsoever that would suggest the need for upgrading to a newer version. Perhaps that is why some 12-million worldwide users to this day continue as I do with XP Pro. To make matters worse, using Windows-7 as an example, dozens of excellent video editing software packages are incompatible with '7' already; among them are ULead Video Studio 11, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Magix Movie Edit Pro 12 - and on and on and on. I presume then that Microsoft would suggest I go out and similarly replace all these video editing packages as well? The carnival barker is at it again, and I'm amazed at how many people are forking over their money to these clowns.
post #206 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM

One thing to think about is whether a new PC supports 3D or not. I highly recommend the LG 3D TVs with passive glasses that use the same technologh as IMAX theaters. The LG TV has HDMI input as an external monitor which could be a 3D monitor with the right PC. How do you get the right PC? Well you buy either the new LG PC or tablet running windows 8 with 3D support. Its a new pc that will only come in win 8. Thats the best way to use your IV as a remote monitor. By the way I am currently running XP and it sort of works ok with the LG TV as a 2D monitor. The formats dont match but the LG TV is smart enough to accept the PC hdmi output. I think I will wait until the new LG PCs arrive here and consider buying one of those. Once you go 3D you will want your PC to have as much capability as your TV. Gene in Austin.
post #207 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM

A little word of warning that could affect some Europeans: If you have installed Windows 7 N (the N edition is the EU-mandated choice to have Windows without Windows Media Player) the $40 / £25 upgrade offered by the upgrade assistant only lets you upgrade to Windows 8 Pro N. If you then apply for, and receive the Windows Media Center activation code, you CANNOT ENTER IT! There is no option to "Add Windows Features". It just doesn't exist, so no WMC for you!

It is true you can add the Windows Media PLAYER feature by downloading the media feature package -- which I did -- you still have no option to Add Windows Features.

I'm still waiting for options, but it is looking like buying the retail upgrade box would probably install the normal, non-N version. That's my guess anyway.
post #208 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM

Sonyad asked if my recordings survived the upgrade. (Sorry for the slow reply.) The answer is that I do not keep media on my HTPC -- that is all kept on a separate server. When I installed Win 8, I did a clean install, so nothing would have been kept on the HTPC itself.
post #209 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

"I've looked carefully at all the M/S operating systems since my installation of Windows XP Pro(32-bit) years ago and can't find anything whatsoever that would suggest the need for upgrading to a newer version."

Uhm, touch. Obviously this is the main advantage to win8. Thats why it doesn't make that much sense for upgrading an existing to device, but touch is going to get more and more common across all computing devices. I think MS was smart in developing a good touch interface, but now I have to decide if I want fingerprints all over the display of my next laptop. The problem with MS is it seems like they are always following the direction of the tech market, always catching up and never innovating. I don't know it might be a result of being so connected to business who doesn't necessarily want rapid change on their networked systems.
post #210 of 497 Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseystone View Post

A little word of warning that could affect some Europeans: If you have installed Windows 7 N (the N edition is the EU-mandated choice to have Windows without Windows Media Player) the $40 / £25 upgrade offered by the upgrade assistant only lets you upgrade to Windows 8 Pro N. If you then apply for, and receive the Windows Media Center activation code, you CANNOT ENTER IT! There is no option to "Add Windows Features". It just doesn't exist, so no WMC for you!
It is true you can add the Windows Media PLAYER feature by downloading the media feature package -- which I did -- you still have no option to Add Windows Features.
I'm still waiting for options, but it is looking like buying the retail upgrade box would probably install the normal, non-N version. That's my guess anyway.

Oh, so is the european court system responsible for media center being removed?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page