HDHomerun Prime (cablecard) recording with time warner cable & "copy none" protection.. help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edit: I meant "Copy once" and not Copy None but seems I cannot edit the title.

Hello all,

I recently decided to take the plunge into the cablecard world and now that the installation nightmare is over (TWC sent me a single stream cable card 3times in a row, a bad tuning adapter, etc) I have now run into another problem:

It seems TWC sets almost *everything* to copy once. So if I record a tv show (say Restaurant: Impossible in HD on foodnetwork) on my main computer (with 4TB free HD space) I cannot watch it on any other computers in my home. It is limited to the computer it recorded on or xbox media extenders.

Is there a solution to this? I've googled this and pretty much what I've found is "NO". I'm willing to re-encode the recorded .wtv but seems that might be illegal and/or impossible. I've looked into making the other computers (bedroom, htpc) act as "extenders" but that seems a no go too. I've tried researching recording software other than wmc but that seems moot as this "copy none" bit is set by timewarner cable, not wmc.

All I want to do is watch recorded stuff on the other computers in my home. Is that not possible at all using time warner & a cablecard?

Thanks in advance AVS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Not for copy once content except through an extender.

post #3 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 140
This sounds like Copy Once (also call Copy No More). Copy Never you could record it but it would expire within 90min.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

post #4 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

This sounds like Copy Once (also call Copy No More). Copy Never you could record it but it would expire within 90min.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
Copy once and copy no more actually aren't the same thing. Copy Once (CCI 0x02) becomes Copy No More (CCI 0x01) after that one copy is made.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #5 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah im really trying to get an answer as to whether there is a workaround or not here. I believe twc sets everything to copy once and thats it.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalBeing View Post

Yeah im really trying to get an answer as to whether there is a workaround or not here. I believe twc sets everything to copy once and thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Not for copy once content except through an extender.

I already answered you.

post #7 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Liked: 17
I've heard a work around is to play it back through an xbox extender and record the xbox output with an hdpvr or colossus. Not very practical for most things but it will often save space since that pvr is using h264.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Extender = Xbox360, Ceton Echo (released soon), HP x280n (discontinued but work) or Linksys DMA2100 (also discontinued, but work).
post #9 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

I've heard a work around is to play it back through an xbox extender and record the xbox output with an hdpvr or colossus. Not very practical for most things but it will often save space since that pvr is using h264.

Not going to work without a HDCP stripper. Xbox 360 output is HDCP encrypted.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 16
point a camera at the TV screen?
post #11 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Here's a hint...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCKwxzL3VM Not that I'd suggest it...wink.gif

EDIT: Be sure to read the whole description...
post #12 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wonder if thats how torrents are created of encrypted content. That or people live in countries or places where their providers aren't setting the copy once flag.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is much more easier to rip a BD disc.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalBeing View Post

I wonder if thats how torrents are created of encrypted content. That or people live in countries or places where their providers aren't setting the copy once flag.

It is only 480p so that can't be it..

post #15 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Not going to work without a HDCP stripper. Xbox 360 output is HDCP encrypted.

360's still have Component out (older ones do, at least). Still a PITA and not worth it IMO.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

360's still have Component out (older ones do, at least). Still a PITA and not worth it IMO.

Component output, or any other analog output, is automatically down converted to 520p. So you won't see HD picture.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Instead of the xbox it's probably better to use an STB from the cable company and record using a HDPVR or colossus. And I'm pretty sure that the component signal from the STB is not down converted.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

CableCARD tuners work just fine. Why pay to rent a STB from the CableCo?

post #19 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Component output, or any other analog output, is automatically down converted to 520p. So you won't see HD picture.

It's a dead horse, but the xbox outputs component in 1080i and 1080p (for TV's that support 1080p over component - rare). When I used component, it always outputted in 1080i.
post #20 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

It's a dead horse, but the xbox outputs component in 1080i and 1080p (for TV's that support 1080p over component - rare). When I used component, it always outputted in 1080i.

FYI
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944994

post #21 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

CableCARD tuners work just fine. Why pay to rent a STB from the CableCo?
To circumvent the DRM using a HDPVR/Colossus. Cablecard is great if you only have few (or no) copy protected channels/shows, but it's not so good if most channels are protected, as it limits your options with regards to playback and system uprade. Losing recordings due to DRM issues is real. Just happened to me about a week ago after installing a number of new Intel drivers for my Ivybridge board. Since I only had a couple of protected recordings, I took the loss instead of restoring/reverting my system. But otherwise it would have been pretty bad.
post #22 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

FYI

'Doh - I stand corrected guys, thanks! smile.gif I was going off of just the general component output from the dashboard and not necessarily the extender interface.
post #23 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

To circumvent the DRM using a HDPVR/Colossus. Cablecard is great if you only have few (or no) copy protected channels/shows, but it's not so good if most channels are protected, as it limits your options with regards to playback and system uprade. Losing recordings due to DRM issues is real. Just happened to me about a week ago after installing a number of new Intel drivers for my Ivybridge board. Since I only had a couple of protected recordings, I took the loss instead of restoring/reverting my system. But otherwise it would have been pretty bad.

Agreed. I have done this too. Fortunately I recovered the lost recordings by alternate means. This is why I say DRM is as porous as the US / Mexico border.

post #24 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

FYI

I haven't tried it lately, when I first commented, I was referring to something a friend did and at the time I couldn't see any difference in quality.

According to SD's support back in July:
Quote:
The actual requirements from CableLabs are:

- VGA outputs must be limited to 520k pixels if any sort of copy protection is in place. This means 960x540. Whoever came up with 960x520 clearly wasn't paying much attention to what they were doing.
- Other analog HD outputs (i.e. component) only need to be limited if the CCI Constrained Image Token is set. No one uses this. Literally the only time I've ever seen this set is on ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HD (channel 571) on Verizon FiOS. I have no idea why they have it set, but it is most likely a mistake.
- Any downrezzed content can be upscaled to fill the normal output 720p/1080i/1080p resolution. Unless you have a big TV, sit fairly close to it (within 1.5 times the screen diagonal measurement), and have good vision, you may not even be able to tell the difference without a side by side comparison.

Microsoft's information on this is sketchy at best with at least one glaring mistake, so it's anyone's guess what they're actually doing. The only way to know for sure would be to put up a test pattern and check to see what comes through.

Its my understanding, according to the article you linked to, that the xbox only does this when that token is set... is there a new requirement and/or is media center or the xbox now applying this token to any CCI 0x01 or 0x02 content and/or are more cable companies/stations/programs using that token?
post #25 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't tried it lately, when I first commented, I was referring to something a friend did and at the time I couldn't see any difference in quality.
According to SD's support back in July:
Its my understanding, according to the article you linked to, that the xbox only does this when that token is set... is there a new requirement and/or is media center or the xbox now applying this token to any CCI 0x01 or 0x02 content and/or are more cable companies/stations/programs using that token?

When I was still at MS, for a while I tried to run down if the image was down-res'd to 520k or 520p as that article says. No one seemed to know if the article was in error or not, and no one cared enough to check.

I can't confirm that the Xbox does or does not downsample content on VGA. Just because the spec says one thing, I wouldn't assume that is the behavior. Maybe if I ever am bored I'll set up a test pattern and check it.

post #26 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
And just how many of you have an extender, a HTPC and a capture card all in the same place? Seems like way too much of a hassle when you can record at 720p, probably the format of most of the HD cable channels anyway.
post #27 of 28 Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

And just how many of you have an extender, a HTPC and a capture card all in the same place? Seems like way too much of a hassle when you can record at 720p, probably the format of most of the HD cable channels anyway.

Within 10 feet of where I sit, I have about 5 InfiniTVs, 3 extenders, 1 TV, 5 monitors, and 2 HTPCs, but I may not be normal smile.gif

post #28 of 28 Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Eric, just the fact that we all here have CC tuners makes us not normal! I too have an xbox next to a one of my HTPC's where both are tied to a TV, depending on the situation I sometimes have both running and switch input on the TV rather than changing channels.
Reply Home Theater Computers