Windows 8 Pro, full retail version - $39.99 at Staples with coupon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I hadn't really considered getting Windows 8 until I got an e-mail from Staples this morning. They sent me a coupon for the retail version of Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99. I've attached a pdf copy for anyone to print. They're limited to stock on hand so get it while you can. It's valid until 10/27/12.

Staples.pdf 21k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Staples.pdf (21.0 KB, 169 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Very cool. Is that just an upgrade version or the full version?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thread title says "full" and nowhere does the coupon say "upgrade", so I'm going to go with "full'.
post #4 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would guess that the retail version is still an upgrade version.

Otherwise, you specifically need the "System Builder" version. I would think if this was the "System Builder" version, they would explicitly say that.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #5 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes but he asked if it was "just an upgrade version".
post #6 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Yes but he asked if it was "just an upgrade version".

Yes, and unless the version you purchase specifically says "System Builder" on it, then it's ONLY an upgrade version, and you'll need to have a previous install of Windows already present in order to activate the software.

post #7 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Yes, and unless the version you purchase specifically says "System Builder" on it, then it's ONLY an upgrade version, and you'll need to have a previous install of Windows already present in order to activate the software.

Unless the Windows7 double install method works.

David
post #8 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
If you have a Win 7 system, sign up for the $15 upgrade. Just lie, I can confirm this works fine. You'll get 5 licences for $15, these are Win 8 Pro upgrades. As far as I can tell, you need Win 7 on the box you are upgrading but you can clean install.
post #9 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

Unless the Windows7 double install method works.
David

But that's not really relevant to the point that unless it specifically says that it's a System Builder version, then it's an Upgrade version. tongue.gif

post #10 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
People were getting copies for $15 each on Slickdeals yesterday. I'm not sure what they were doing, something about a promo code to knock the price down from $40 to $15.
post #11 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've got a similar thread about this posted at Slickdeals. After many conversations with other members, it appears that this is indeed an upgrade version. I have installed it from scratch on a bare drive so the term "upgrade" isn't all that accurate from an installation perspective. I was never prompted for an installation disk nor did the installation program do any sort of search for a pre-existing Windows installation to upgrade. Based on my past experience with Windows 7, Microsoft basically sells the same software at two very different price points. The fact is, you can install an "upgrade" as a new install and get the same benefits as the full version, but at a fraction of the cost.

Now for the caveat. I have not connected the PC to the internet or activated the software. I just wanted to install it on a spare PC and test out the interface before I commit one of my PCs to a Win 8 setup. I have no idea what will happen when and if I make the connection to the web with regards to the status of the installation. I really don't expect anything to happen other than getting the software activated normally, but who knows?

For an OS that's supposed to run faster, I find that it's extremely sluggish and slow. I have to wait a bit before it starts accepting commands, such as moving the mouse to the corner to display the menu icons. I installed it on an older SATA drive and not an SSD so I plan on doing that next to speed things up. Once you get past the weird new UI, the underlying structure appears to be pretty much the same as Win 7. I really haven't looked into what changes they made to the OS other than the obvious so I'm not sure what I'm looking at yet. I'm mostly scratching my head and asking myself "WTF did they do that for?" I only bought it because it looked like a good deal at $40, plus I was more than a bit curious. I have a feeling I'm just going to think that it's $40 I'll never see again.

FWIW, I got my license key for the Media Center upgrade. Big friggin' whoop.rolleyes.gif I can't see using this OS as a Media Center PC, but I still have to play with it a lot more before I make a final decision. It could start to grow on me if I give it enough time.
post #12 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

FWIW, I got my license key for the Media Center upgrade. Big friggin' whoop.rolleyes.gif I can't see using this OS as a Media Center PC, but I still have to play with it a lot more before I make a final decision. It could start to grow on me if I give it enough time.

Funny, I'm using Windows 8 right now as a Media Center PC. I still have some things to iron out but it's working fine for day 1 of Windows 8.
post #13 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Which makes the occasional wipe and re-install a gigantic hassle. MS's crack down on licensing has become a major hassle for legitimate customers.
post #14 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

People were getting copies for $15 each on Slickdeals yesterday. I'm not sure what they were doing, something about a promo code to knock the price down from $40 to $15.

Microsoft's program that if you buy a computer between July and now with Windows 7 gives you a discount code to get it for $15. Apparently, it was only using the honor system.

post #15 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny, I'm using Windows 8 right now as a Media Center PC. I still have some things to iron out but it's working fine for day 1 of Windows 8.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. I'm mainly of the mindset that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, which usually amount s to actually breaking something that isn't broken to begin with (this is one case where it sucks to excel in something:rolleyes:). I just finished spending the last three weeks rebuilding my unRAID server because I thought I'd give FlexRAID a try. The result was a machine that wouldn't boot with all drives installed under Windows Home Server. I had to transfer all of the data (over 16TB worth) back and forth between reiserfs formatted drives to NTFS drives and back again before I could get everything restored. I could only transfer data from 1 or 2 drives per day and I had 20 drives in the array including a parity drive. My Media Center PC is functioning perfectly fine at the moment so I have no desire to repeat the server fiasco with my HTPC. Considering that Microsoft apparently views Media Center as an afterthought, I'm in no hurry to switch over to the Win 8 version.

The Win 8 UI isn't exactly intuitive at first glance. I think there's a tutorial video posted on the Microsoft website or somewhere else I visited earlier today so I plan on hunting that down to see what it's all about. I'm sure it's probably not all that difficult to navigate and use once you get used to it.
post #16 of 66 Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Liked: 11
i installed win8 on my htpc as well. i think its going to make the wife alot happier because i was able to make some tiles to the common shortcuts.

but i cannot get bitstreaming to work and its been driving me crazy. ill have to make another thread about that later if i cannot figure it out.
post #17 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Microsoft's program that if you buy a computer between July and now with Windows 7 gives you a discount code to get it for $15. Apparently, it was only using the honor system.

I know Microsoft has tons of money and all but it is surprising how many people seem to be comfortable with being blatantly dishonest...
post #18 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

i installed win8 on my htpc as well. i think its going to make the wife alot happier because i was able to make some tiles to the common shortcuts.
but i cannot get bitstreaming to work and its been driving me crazy. ill have to make another thread about that later if i cannot figure it out.

Sorry to hear about bitstreaming. I haven't installed Shark007 or XBMC yet, but I'm planning to do so soon. We'll all have to collaborate and pull our knowledge.
post #19 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

I know Microsoft has tons of money and all but it is surprising how many people seem to be comfortable with being blatantly dishonest...

Read the slickdeals thread and it gets worse. About a million people on there asking if they can upgrade non-legitimate (aka pirated) versions of Windows 7 to Windows 8. I thought that was the worst part.
post #20 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Read the slickdeals thread and it gets worse. About a million people on there asking if they can upgrade non-legitimate (aka pirated) versions of Windows 7 to Windows 8. I thought that was the worst part.

You can. I didn't bother buying a new Win 7 licence when Win 8 was less than a month away. $15 is too good a deal for any pirate to pass up.
post #21 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:

But that's not really relevant to the point that unless it specifically says that it's a System Builder version, then it's an Upgrade version. tongue.gif

Isn't the relevance that if it is an upgrade version then maybe the double install method will work just like with Windows7. I have installed many upgrade versions of Windows7 on bare drives.

David
post #22 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone asked if it is an upgrade version, and it is. Having workarounds doesn't make it not an upgrade version.

post #23 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Someone asked if it is an upgrade version, and it is. Having workarounds doesn't make it not an upgrade version.

OK, I thought the question was if an upgrade version had to be installed on top of an existing Windows install hence why I wondered if the Windows7 double install method would work.

David
post #24 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

You can. I didn't bother buying a new Win 7 licence when Win 8 was less than a month away. $15 is too good a deal for any pirate to pass up.

$15 is an awesome price, especially when you can also add Windows Media Center now for free. I have big problems with piracy, but I don't really care all that much about the "workaround" to get it for $15. That's more of a gray area. Piracy is theft.
post #25 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering what Microsoft charges for a desktop license and the fact that they practically hold a monopoly on desktop software for home and business use, it's not all that difficult to understand. If Microsoft charged a reasonable fee for the software, there would be far fewer people pirating the software. I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for a license, but the activation issue can get to be a real headache. I own Win 7 licenses for every PC in my house, but I like to upgrade hardware every so often. This means I have to reinstall Windows from time to time and reactivate it. It got to a point where I could no longer reactivate a license even though it was on the same PC and was 100% legit. I eventually had to resort to using bootleg copies of Win 7 just to get around the activation BS imposed by Microsoft.
post #26 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I had a senior moment and forgot that there was no "Full" retail version. You are correct... Retail Upgrade or System Builder only.

I guess they are doing it to compete with the $40 download version.
post #27 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My guess is MS really wants to have big early sales numbers for win8 so maybe they are looking the other way. They could have made the $15 upgrade much more locked down.
post #28 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

My guess is MS really wants to have big early sales numbers for win8 so maybe they are looking the other way. They could have made the $15 upgrade much more locked down.
How do you know they haven't? You may get a call 90 days or so from now saying you owe the other $99.99...cool.gif
post #29 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Considering what Microsoft charges for a desktop license and the fact that they practically hold a monopoly on desktop software for home and business use, it's not all that difficult to understand. If Microsoft charged a reasonable fee for the software, there would be far fewer people pirating the software.

This sounds just like the excuse people give for pirating movies. If you think they are charging too much for something it doesn't give you the right to steal it. There is always Linux which won't cost you anything.
post #30 of 66 Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This sounds just like the excuse people give for pirating movies. If you think they are charging too much for something it doesn't give you the right to steal it. There is always Linux which won't cost you anything.

He has a point in that MS did try to kill off alternatives like Linux. MS would prefer that you didn't have a choice

I just popped the latest Ubuntu live CD into my laptop and everything worked no fuss, pretty impressive.

Except for a few things like gaming the alternatives are getting very doable at this point. I switched my parents to chrome OS and they are really liking it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page