New Muscle Flexing HTPC Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my first muscle flexing HTPC build. This will also be used for gaming. Just finished test fitting everything and all is left is to hook up the cables.

Should I leave the PSU as it is or flip it around so it gets cool air?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
X79 is a complete waste of money for everything but heavy 24/7 rendering. Games won't run any faster. Still, looks good.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

All wired up. Now need to install Windows.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
It's a really nice build OP- even if I could have squeezed better performance for HTPC/gaming for a lower cost out of a LGA1155 build- there is something to be said for being excessive and going premium.

X79 is total overkill and while it won't help gaming performance at all it's still pretty cool!

Congrats! One of the nicer builds I have seen on here and it's certainly up to the task of HTPC

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 AM

Liked: 16
dat CPU cooler... cool.gif
post #6 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Aren't there vents on the other side of the PSU? If so, you should have mounted it upside down. See here. The way you have it now, it pulls air away from your graphics card. Honestly, it will probably be fine, but it's not ideal.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Are you going to be doing video processing, d/l'ing, RnE'ing while watching and feeding six extenders with that? Oh wait, I think you need more RAM!

post #8 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Are you going to be doing video processing, d/l'ing, RnE'ing while watching and feeding six extenders with that? Oh wait, I think you need more RAM!

For that, I would recommend at least 57 GB of RAM.
snappjay likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
GTX 670 is a great card. Plays everything at 1080p at full detail. Overclocks to be comparable to a stock GTX680 as well.

post #10 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

GTX 670 is a great card. Plays everything at 1080p at full detail. Overclocks to be comparable to a stock GTX680 as well.

Not in some games with 16x AF and MSAA pushed to the limit. Metro 2033 comes to mind. I would have gotten a 7950, the 3GB VRAM will come in handy in the future and its cheaper too.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Liked: 14
Good looking build.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Aren't there vents on the other side of the PSU? If so, you should have mounted it upside down. See here. The way you have it now, it pulls air away from your graphics card. Honestly, it will probably be fine, but it's not ideal.

I have the PSU fan facing the case vents so it intakes cool air. The last image from my first post was just a test fit of everything. In post 3 the PSU is flipped. I was originally going to have it intake all the warm air in the case but that would mean the PSU fan would need to be running all the time. This PSU fan doesn't start up until it hits a specific load.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure why not?
post #14 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalart View Post

I have the PSU fan facing the case vents so it intakes cool air. The last image from my first post was just a test fit of everything. In post 3 the PSU is flipped. I was originally going to have it intake all the warm air in the case but that would mean the PSU fan would need to be running all the time. This PSU fan doesn't start up until it hits a specific load.

But why not have the PSU intake vent facing the outside of the case? That way, it pulls cold air from outside the case and the expels it out the back of the case. That way, the PSU has it's own circulation and doesn't pull airflow away from the GPU.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

But why not have the PSU intake vent facing the outside of the case? That way, it pulls cold air from outside the case and the expels it out the back of the case. That way, the PSU has it's own circulation and doesn't pull airflow away from the GPU.

That's the way I have it.
post #16 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

Not in some games with 16x AF and MSAA pushed to the limit. Metro 2033 comes to mind. I would have gotten a 7950, the 3GB VRAM will come in handy in the future and its cheaper too.

There is a whole other sub-forum on Gaming HTPC's. I should go take a look up there. I might learn something new.

post #17 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is a whole other sub-forum on Gaming HTPC's. I should go take a look up there. I might learn something new.

If your serious your better off in another forum .. that's more a performance forum.

This forum has a decidedly plain jane ordinary joe mentality and seems to think anything beyond "normal" is just a waste.

There is tons of PC hardware forums that have a heavy gaming and performance slant on the internet and most are better than AVS for this.

In some of those forums the OP build here is just average.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #18 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

I probably would have gotten a more value/horsepower ratio AMD card- Actually two of them.

And used the cash saved from the X79 platform exchanged to Z77. I could get an i7 on LGA1155 /Z77 motherboard combo and afford two cards with the money saved. That's a better gaming PC IMO.

OP build is more a workstation or rendering PC IMO. But with that card he can basically play any game we wants and crush it as full resolution so I am not sure the improvements are necessary for anyone that's not a hard core gamer.

-

post #19 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't need all that as I don't game at all. I watch movies and TV and my modest, cheap build gets it done. Shoot, my i5 PC does pretty dang good for the rendering and other tasks. I usually set it and forget it.. like now. I set it up to do a bunch of tasks before heading to work today. I'm not there to baby sit but I should have some pretty decent, what shall I call it, rendering, done when I get home tonight.

post #20 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't need all that as I don't game at all. I watch movies and TV and my modest, cheap build gets it done. Shoot, my i5 PC does pretty dang good for the rendering and other tasks. I usually set it and forget it.. like now. I set it up to do a bunch of tasks before heading to work today. I'm not there to baby sit but I should have some pretty decent, what shall I call it, rendering, done when I get home tonight.

Agree. For most normal people an i5 is perfectly powerful enough for anything you throw at it.

Only an enthusiast would desire/need more.

for playing movies we know even an i3 is more than enough... and many are happy with simply pentium and celeron level chips for less than $50 which also play movies perfectly.

-

post #21 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you did a serious amount of rendering and realized how many hours of time you would save with the OP set up--- That might be a considerable factor.

-

post #22 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

By rendering I mean extracting and then creating mkv's.. I don't render as I don't have a need to do that. If it were my job or serious hobby to create graphic content then yes this is a decent build for that.

post #23 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
You could probably do some nice SVP smooth video or UltimateEQ with that beast.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

You could probably do some nice SVP smooth video or UltimateEQ with that beast.

+1 Sweet rig. MadVR + SVP will give the 670 a good workout. I had to pull both of my GTX460s together to run SVP and MadVR's new Jinc scaler for both the chroma and luma channels. There are still some options I could not turn on.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

+1 Sweet rig. MadVR + SVP will give the 670 a good workout. I had to pull both of my GTX460s together to run SVP and MadVR's new Jinc scaler for both the chroma and luma channels. There are still some options I could not turn on.

So what would you recommend ?

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page