Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by erc View Post

If I remember correctly, the latest drivers are quite new; I was hoping they'd solve the problem but no joy.
In box drivers for Windows or from the Intel download site? Inbox drivers (and those available through Windows Update) are usually only 2-3 months behind the manufacturer's site (takes that long to get them approved through MS and available through Windows Update). But they have never included HD audio bitstreaming AFAIK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Save the 7/8 stuff for another topic guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by erc View Post

I'm having the same problem with bitstreaming. HD4000 graphics, Denon AVR, Windows 8. If I remember correctly, the latest drivers are quite new; I was hoping they'd solve the problem but no joy.
As for WHY I chose Windows 8?
  1. I wouldn't personally want to use the UI-formerly-known-as-Metro on my desktop work computer, but I think it works well for HTPC use. The large UI elements are optimized for touch, and are also easy to view on a TV from across the room. Right now there aren't a ton of apps that I find useful, but I'm sure that'll change with time. The Netflix app is great, a nice replacement for the WMC Netflix application. Hulu Plus is good too. I'm hoping that Google eventually releases something nice for Gmail and Google Calendar.
  2. Storage Spaces. My HTPC stores all of my content locally, on 9+ TB of storage. You can use Storage Spaces to group together USB drives, SCSI drives, SSDs, multiple HDDs, etc so that the OS sees it all as one large storage pool. It also handles data redundancy so that drive failure won't result in data loss.
  3. Boot times, both cold boot and from hibernation are quite a bit faster than Windows 7.

I have the same problem with bitstreaming, HD4000, pio receiver and Windows 8. Won't bitstream. The mobo is an Asus Maximus V Gene. Can anyone point me to drivers that will work?

By the way, Win 8 is pretty nice. I hated the idea at first, but it's grown on me.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
So is this issue solved or not? I may go to 8 for my HTPC in the near future. I have a GT 430 video card that bit-streams fine right now along with the correct MoBo Drivers and latest whql driver from nVidia.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The Win8 stiock driver for Intel graphics is quite limited (you won't be able to run WMC watching TVs on it). You need to download and install latest WDM 1.2 driver for Win8 from Intel if you have 2nd or 3rd gen Core proceesors. If you only have 1st gen Core processor, you are out of luck because Intel will not release any Win8 driver for it.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Clarkdale.. That's me. Guess I'm SOL on that concept.

EDIT: Wait, I am not using the intel graphics though.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The Win8 stiock driver for Intel graphics is quite limited (you won't be able to run WMC watching TVs on it). You need to download and install latest WDM 1.2 driver for Win8 from Intel if you have 2nd or 3rd gen Core proceesors. If you only have 1st gen Core processor, you are out of luck because Intel will not release any Win8 driver for it.

Yep, that fixes bitstreaming! Yay!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
erc

Liked: 10
I installed the graphics drivers (3rd gen core) from Intel which I think were last updated October 24th, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I'm using XBMC, finally got the light on my receiver to come on. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Clarkdale.. That's me. Guess I'm SOL on that concept.
EDIT: Wait, I am not using the intel graphics though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Yep, that fixes bitstreaming! Yay!

So is the WDM 1.2 driver needed with iNvidia? The reason I ask is I am going to go 64 bit on my HTPC and don't use the WMC exclusive mode that has been removed in WMC for Win8 so I may install Win8 but if HD bitstreaming doesn't work with my set up then I might as well not do that.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

So is the WDM 1.2 driver needed with iNvidia? The reason I ask is I am going to go 64 bit on my HTPC and don't use the WMC exclusive mode that has been removed in WMC for Win8 so I may install Win8 but if HD bitstreaming doesn't work with my set up then I might as well not do that.
Regardless of the graphics card used (ATI/NVidia/Intel), you need to download the graphics and HDMI audio drivers from the manufacturer to bitstream HD audio. The inbox drivers (and those available through Windows Update) do not support HD audio bitstreaming. This is true regardless of the OS version used (Win 7/8).
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Regardless of the graphics card used (ATI/NVidia/Intel), you need to download the graphics and HDMI audio drivers from the manufacturer to bitstream HD audio. The inbox drivers (and those available through Windows Update) do not support HD audio bitstreaming. This is true regardless of the OS version used (Win 7/8).

And if your manufacturer does not support 8, you are screwed (depending on the product, but drivers should always be written and used for the correct OS).
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Basically, yes. As long as the driver stack doesn't change between OSes, you can use the previous release drivers but I'm not sure about the drivers stack for Win 8 and whether or not Win 7 drivers can be used.