Windows 8 - my verdict. - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

Just for the record people did not spend alot of money to get 16:9 displays, they were simply pushed to it because those displays are cheaper to produce. I never , ever liked 16:9 yet roughly half of my monitors are that simply because I had no reasonable choice outside of dropping 2x the price. Computing is funny because most of what we do is vertical on the web yet our screens are very horizontal. The main reason this happened was because they could sell a 20 inch display for less money and most ignorant consumers just grabbed the cheaper one saying well this one is $20 less and also 20 inches.

+1000. Driving everyone to HD displays because of cost made a lot of laptops crap for everyday web use, for example. I use a 17" HP now because I couldn't stand the screen limitations on the 15.6".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Show me that in Metro, then I'll be impressed.

Didnt he just do that?
post #453 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

That would be the windows key on your keyboard.
No, I said while 'keeping the Start Button'. StartisBack provides this exact functionality. Boot straight into the desktop (with Start button), and a quick hot-key will allow you to switch directly into Metro and back again. Quick and seemless.
Quote:
Gadgets were disabled by default in Windows 7, and were removed in Windows 8 because almost no-one used them. Never saw the use at all, and they were the first thing I disabled when I installed Vista. (Dashboard on OS X was much more useful, because you had a hotkey to bring up widgets - though I really only used them for calculators/unit conversion)
I think you'll find a lot more people used them that you think, and how would MS know? A big, new community appeared when gadgets were added in Vista, and once they were set free in 7, there were some really excellent ones. I run 5 continually down the right-hand side of the screen, and find them invaluable.
Quote:
And Metro apps are entirely optional. The Start Screen is also optional, but requires a third-party solution if you want to replace it with an old-style Start Menu
The start screen is NOT optional in stock Windows 8. You boot into it (no choice), all your apps are pinned to it by default. You have no choice. If it was 'optional' I'd be able to turn the damn thing off!
Quote:
The Start Screen is nothing more than an app launcher. Once you launch a program, you're on the desktop and never have to leave it.
That's not strictly true. Yes, you can launch apps (Metro and Desktop), but it's designed to replace the desktop -eventually-, and is meant to be your single interface to all your apps. If it was just an 'app launcher' you wouldn't have all the tiles bleeding your eyes with constant, pointless information updates. MS want you to stay in Metro, and one way is to lock the App Store to Metro only apps, so you have NO CHOICE. I will also say that MS are now only just starting with bombarding users with ads in Metro. It's going to get far, far worse by the looks of it.
Quote:
Or you can install a replacement like Start8 and never see anything but the desktop.
Agreed. That is the only option at the moment, but MS could break/cripple this functionality with any patch or service pack.
Quote:
Multi-monitor setups are actually handled a lot better in Windows 8 than they have been in any previous version of Windows. There are a lot of nice improvements.
Not so. Try having a second (touch) monitor and keep your desktop on the primary monitor and Metro on the other. Pretty simple request I believe, but impossible
post #454 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Didnt he just do that?

Nah - you see, that was Windows 8, not Metro. Some people just don't like Transformers. Things gotta be just autos or giant robots. No way can they be both at the same time.

Geoff Coupe
post #455 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Didnt he just do that?
Win 8 is designed for the main interface to be Metro. The desktop "app" is only a necessary evil. Metro can't show more than one thing on any screen at a time. If I want to to see multiple screens and multiple apps simultaneously, I can do that in Win 7 today. What is the benefit of Win 8 where accomplishing the same thing is more difficult?

So show me multiple screens in Metro, which MS is forcing me to use when I turn on my computer. If they want to be a "transformer", give me a freaking option to leave it in robot or auto mode and not force me to start in robot mode every time (what's the Fisher Price equivalent of a robot?).
post #456 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

That's not strictly true. Yes, you can launch apps (Metro and Desktop), but it's designed to replace the desktop -eventually-, and is meant to be your single interface to all your apps. If it was just an 'app launcher' you wouldn't have all the tiles bleeding your eyes with constant, pointless information updates

One would think that someone who liked gadgets wouldn't think the information on Metro tiles was "pointless information updates."

Again though, I disabled all my gadgets in Vista, so I'm perhaps not the best person to compare the two, but they do seem very similar to me.

Also, I would add the Metro tiles you don't can be easily removed. I only have 9 tiles and that's because I haven't deleted at least one that needs to be deleted (a project registration tile left over from an install).
post #457 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You can run 2 apps on the same screen, or even better one desktop and one metroapp on the same screen, or just desktop.

More options compared to w7.
post #458 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Win 8 is designed for the main interface to be Metro. The desktop "app" is only a necessary evil. Metro can't show more than one thing on any screen at a time. If I want to to see multiple screens and multiple apps simultaneously, I can do that in Win 7 today. What is the benefit of Win 8 where accomplishing the same thing is more difficult?
So show me multiple screens in Metro, which MS is forcing me to use when I turn on my computer. If they want to be a "transformer", give me a freaking option to leave it in robot or auto mode and not force me to start in robot mode every time (what's the Fisher Price equivalent of a robot?).

I think what you might be missing is that the Metro apps are also to be run on tablets (and phones???). If you like a tablet app a lot, you can also run it on your desktop computer.

Maybe when Microsoft allows more than one app to appear on a screen of a tablet, as say Samsung does with the Note II and now Samsung Galaxy III, you'll be able to run more than one app in Metro.
post #459 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 743

it's right there...

if that's not enough:

post #460 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

Just for the record people did not spend alot of money to get 16:9 displays, they were simply pushed to it because those displays are cheaper to produce.

That's not true at all. Maybe for you. But way back in the beginning of the LCD days, there were both 4:3 and 16:9 displays being sold and the 16:9 sold in greater quantities. In fact, one of my first LCDs (a Dell) was a 4:3 display and which I still use on a secondary PC. The 4:3's standing in the marketplace died through natural evolution of the marketplace.
post #461 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

That's not true at all. Maybe for you. But way back in the beginning of the LCD days, there were both 4:3 and 16:9 displays being sold and the 16:9 sold in greater quantities. In fact, one of my first LCDs (a Dell) was a 4:3 display and which I still use on a secondary PC. The 4:3's standing in the marketplace died through natural evolution of the marketplace.

I use four 27" monitors on my workstation. Two are stacked one above the other in normal "Landscape" orientation, in the center of my space. One each on the sides in "Portrait" configuration.

Best of both worlds. Some things are done better on a wide screen, some on a "longer" screen (like browsing).
post #462 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I use four 27" monitors on my workstation. Two are stacked one above the other in normal "Landscape" orientation, in the center of my space. One each on the sides in "Portrait" configuration.
Best of both worlds. Some things are done better on a wide screen, some on a "longer" screen (like browsing).

I agree. I have a 3 monitor setup and a 4 monitor setup. Both have a monitor that's rotatable to be either vertical or horizontal, depending on my needs. I love the 16:9 vertical portrait because you can read a lot more at a time.
post #463 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I like the new UI. On a tablet. I have a SurfaceRT and the plex client is great.

But my HTPC? Windows 7.

Windows 8 Media Center is a regression packed bug farm and obviously just a bone thrown to the users. No thanks.
post #464 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

I think what you might be missing is that the Metro apps are also to be run on tablets (and phones???). If you like a tablet app a lot, you can also run it on your desktop computer.
Maybe when Microsoft allows more than one app to appear on a screen of a tablet, as say Samsung does with the Note II and now Samsung Galaxy III, you'll be able to run more than one app in Metro.
Not missing that at all. I want all that phone crap off my desktop, hence have zero interest whatsoever in Win 8. I can't imagine ever wanting to run a phone or tablet app on my desktop. If MS wants to make an OS for toys, that's fine, more power to them. But don't ruin my desktop to do it, which they have.
post #465 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

You guys should just stop perpetuating this error about not having more than 1 app in Metro. You can split the screen between 2 apps. Just like Windows 7 snapping. Except it's for Metro apps. If you guys don't understand how something works, just ask. No everyone knows everything. Heck, I'm still learning new things every day.
post #466 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

No, I said while 'keeping the Start Button'. StartisBack provides this exact functionality. Boot straight into the desktop (with Start button), and a quick hot-key will allow you to switch directly into Metro and back again. Quick and seemless.
Right, I'm just pointing out that you do already have a button that will switch between Metro and the Desktop already.
Quote:

I think you'll find a lot more people used them that you think, and how would MS know? A big, new community appeared when gadgets were added in Vista, and once they were set free in 7, there were some really excellent ones. I run 5 continually down the right-hand side of the screen, and find them invaluable.
This is exactly the sort of thing that Microsoft collects information on, and then uses to make decisions on what changes they are going to make.
Quote:

The start screen is NOT optional in stock Windows 8. You boot into it (no choice), all your apps are pinned to it by default. You have no choice. If it was 'optional' I'd be able to turn the damn thing off!
There are ways to disable booting into the start screen without requiring any third-party utilities installed. It won't bring back the start menu, but you are able to avoid Metro 100% and just stick to desktop apps pinned to the taskbar etc.
Quote:

That's not strictly true. Yes, you can launch apps (Metro and Desktop), but it's designed to replace the desktop -eventually-, and is meant to be your single interface to all your apps. If it was just an 'app launcher' you wouldn't have all the tiles bleeding your eyes with constant, pointless information updates. MS want you to stay in Metro, and one way is to lock the App Store to Metro only apps, so you have NO CHOICE.
I don't think any of us could say that Metro is designed to replace the desktop. I certainly wouldn't expect it to, because it's an interface designed mainly for low-power, portable devices that have limited input options. On a desktop PC, the Start Screen is nothing more than an app launcher, unless you want to use Metro apps.

And you will only have Live tiles if you have Metro apps on your system. The first thing I did was uninstall them all. (which took about 20s)
The app store allows both desktop and Metro applications to be sold in it, or you can simply avoid it altogether if you only want to run desktop applications.
Quote:

Agreed. That is the only option at the moment, but MS could break/cripple this functionality with any patch or service pack.
It is hardly in Microsoft's interests to do such a thing, nor have they tried to in the past. And I can't comment on others, but Stardock are a reputable company that have been doing this sort of thing for more than a decade, so if it were to break in a service pack, as unlikely as that is, they would fix it.
Quote:

Not so. Try having a second (touch) monitor and keep your desktop on the primary monitor and Metro on the other. Pretty simple request I believe, but impossible
Metro is not designed for multi-monitor setups. What I am talking about here is desktop functionality. Microsoft added a lot of new features/tweaks for multi-monitor setups on the desktop. This is why I think it's laughable that people are saying Microsoft neglected the desktop in Windows 8, or that it was only built to run Metro apps etc.
Quote:

This is completely uninformed, and a ridiculous statement. If Windows 8 was designed for the main interface to be Metro, then why did Microsoft spend so much time, effort and resources working on all the hundreds of improvements, new features and so-on for the desktop?

The only thing Microsoft is "forcing" on the user is the Start Screen, which is effectively just an app launcher for a desktop user, and once you are on the desktop you never have to see it again. It's also easily replaced with the old Start Menu.
As I've said numerous times in the past, for a desktop user it's no different from Apple's Launchpad. Except if Launchpad also had the ability to run your iOS apps, if you've bought into that ecosystem.
Quote:

The vast majority of "4:3" LCDs sold were actually 5:4 1280x1024 monitors, and as soon as higher resolutions were offered, there was quickly a switch to the 16:10 aspect ratio, which then became 16:9 as it became easier & cheaper to just manufacture 1080p panels for everything.

I certainly miss the old 4:3/5:4 aspect ratio, especially on laptops where vertical resolution is sorely lacking. Even though 16:9 displays are "technically" better for video, just about everything I watch is letterboxed anyway, so it's not really a benefit over a 4:3 display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Personally I find the 9:16 or 10:16 aspect ratio to be "difficult" to read. It's just not an aspect ratio that we're used to, and presents too much information at once in my opinion. I think the 3:4 aspect ratio is a lot better suited to reading text. Pagination is an important part of reading as well, it's not useful to just have extremely tall columns of text.
Quote:

Not missing that at all. I want all that phone crap off my desktop, hence have zero interest whatsoever in Win 8. I can't imagine ever wanting to run a phone or tablet app on my desktop. If MS wants to make an OS for toys, that's fine, more power to them. But don't ruin my desktop to do it, which they have.
They haven't done anything to ruin the desktop, it has the same functionality as before, and then all the new features/improvements they added in Windows 8. The only difference is the Start Screen vs the Start Menu.

And if you had a Windows 8 phone or tablet, I bet you would find it useful to have access to at least some of those apps.
There are definitely some iPad apps like Flipboard, Reeder, Instacast, and a number of others that I wouldn't mind having on my desktop.

Some of these apps like Reeder and iA Writer do have Mac desktop counterparts that have almost an identical UI to the tablet version of the apps, but they cost considerably more.
iA Writer was $0.99 for me on my iPad, and $9.99 on the desktop. (and I'm sure that used to be $20)
Reeder was $5 on my iPad, and $10 on the desktop.

In either case, the desktop apps don't offer me any additional useful functionality over the tablet version, but I've now paid an extra $20 for them.
If I had a Windows 8 tablet, I would have been able to buy the tablet version of the app for that device, and just run that on my desktop if I didn't think the desktop version was worth any extra money.

But it's an option you can completely ignore if you want. Until we see Metro apps on-par with the top-tier iOS apps, I have no interest in running anything Metro on my desktop.
post #467 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently you don't know any good mobile apps. I for one would like to see a good Metro earthquake app, because what I can get on Android is much better than what I've found available for web browsers. If I could find such a Metro app, then I could easily switch to Metro when I wanted to run it. Much more convenient than grabbing my phone or tablet.

But in any case, no one is forcing you to put anything on your desktop.
post #468 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys should just stop perpetuating this error about not having more than 1 app in Metro. You can split the screen between 2 apps. Just like Windows 7 snapping. Except it's for Metro apps. If you guys don't understand how something works, just ask. No everyone knows everything. Heck, I'm still learning new things every day.

I was just assuming the comment was correct. I've not read anything about Metro having such functionality, so I assumed it was correct.
post #469 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM
SVM

Liked: 10
Looking for some help to mount Bluray ISO files from my Synology NAS in Windows 8 (Acer W700/win 8/i3). I have latest TMT5 (5.3.1.172) and tried using "mount" from windows 8 which gives "Please Insert a Valid Disc and try again" message. I used Vitrual Clone drive from slysoft but windows 8 crashes each time I mount an Bluray ISO. I ended uninstalling Virtual Cone Drive, DVD ISO are playing fine.

Any thoughts on how to make this work? Thx
post #470 of 622 Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

Looking for some help to mount Bluray ISO files from my Synology NAS in Windows 8 (Acer W700/win 8/i3). I have latest TMT5 (5.3.1.172) and tried using "mount" from windows 8 which gives "Please Insert a Valid Disc and try again" message. I used Vitrual Clone drive from slysoft but windows 8 crashes each time I mount an Bluray ISO. I ended uninstalling Virtual Cone Drive, DVD ISO are playing fine.
Any thoughts on how to make this work? Thx
There is a known issue with Virtual Clone Drive and mounting images off a network share in Windows 8. Unfortunately, I don't know if the developers have any plans on fixing it.
As for the built-in ISO functionality, it seems to work well with some images, and not for others. (it doesn't like it when AnyDVD is running, for example)

I've heard that Daemon Tools works well for ISO files over a network share, but haven't used it myself. (all my files are stored locally so I just use VCD)
post #471 of 622 Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My understanding is that metro/whatever it's called can put two windows side by side in a 60:40 percentage. I have a 27 inch screen at work and commonly have 3+ windows viewable and 20+ open.

This guy excoriates the win 8 interface:

Windows 8 interface is a train wreck

For me, I have no desire to use metro. I have a completely clean desktop (other than the recycle bin, there's NOTHING on my desktop). I can't stand updating anything.

On the other hand, I could see where the metro interface might be nice for a phone. It even might be nice for a true HT PC, although I use my HT PC with a projector and a monitor and also as a home system and work system.

Bob
post #472 of 622 Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

My understanding is that metro/whatever it's called can put two windows side by side in a 60:40 percentage. I have a 27 inch screen at work and commonly have 3+ windows viewable and 20+ open.
This guy excoriates the win 8 interface:
Windows 8 interface is a train wreck
For me, I have no desire to use metro. I have a completely clean desktop (other than the recycle bin, there's NOTHING on my desktop). I can't stand updating anything.
On the other hand, I could see where the metro interface might be nice for a phone. It even might be nice for a true HT PC, although I use my HT PC with a projector and a monitor and also as a home system and work system.

I fail to see the problem? Metro doesnt prevent you from working in desktop, or have a clean desktop.
post #473 of 622 Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I only keep the Computer icon on my desktop, so that I can right click it and do things. I don't think that's really even necessary with Win8, but it's habit.

The point is though, you can do that with Windows 8. Boot the computer, click on the screen to enter your password (admittedly and extra click), enter your password, click on the desktop Metro icon (admittedly an extra click), and then you're at your nice clean desktop.

Two extra clicks to get the extra speed of Win8 is well worth the small hassle, IMHO.
post #474 of 622 Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

alright, I thought it'd be time to try out Camtasia for the first time. pretty cool program but yeah, it'll take a look practice with the settings. like I didn't know the default was 15 fps (I guess to conserve space?). and for some reason, it wasn't tracking the mouse cursor properly. here's a metro demo since a lot of people are confused about it:

Wanted to show a little demo of Metro snapping of the apps. Should've planned it out because I was thinking of things on the fly. Using Camtasia for the first time and didn't know the default was 15 fps so sorry for the sluggish video. This is a mouse and keyboard demo. For some reason Camtasia was not tracking the mouse cursor properly. If I was to do this properly, I would've scripted it so I wouldn't be so randomly jumping around. And I should've voice annotated it so that it'd be easier to follow. also, warning, mute the video. I was showing Xbox Music as one of the metro apps so if you don't want music, mute it:

0:13 snapping the News app to the left side of the screen. You snap the app by dragging it to the side of the screen. Just like Aero snapping in Windows 7.
0:20 loading the Xbox Music app.
0:23 switching priority of the Metro apps. You can either drag the bar past the screen's halfway mark or you can double-click on the bar.
0:33 switching back
0:39 switching between the apps by clicking the upper left-hand corner.
1:23 clicking on a read button will automatically give priority to the app.
1:30 alt-tab method to switch between apps/programs. the smaller snapped Metro app stays while alt-tabbing will switch the main snapped portion.
1:53 if you change the snapped metro app to being the primary app and the desktop app used to be the primary app, you'll see all the desktop apps in the secondary snapped view. then if you click on the desktop app, it'll become the primary snapped view (in this example, it was Firefox).
2:01 clicking on a read button will automatically give priority to the app over the desktop app/program. if the desktop app was the primary app, it will be changed to the secondary snapped view and you'll see all the running desktop apps.
2:23 using the win+tab method to switch metro apps (or if you're using a gesture or touch method, you swipe from left side of the screen rightward and then back to the left edge)
2:39 terminating a metro app by dragging from the top edge of the screen downward (mouse or touch or gesture)
2:47 switching between the apps by clicking the upper left-hand corner.
2:57 using the win+tab method to switch metro apps
2:59 alt-tab method to switch between apps/programs. the smaller snapped Metro app stays while alt-tabbing will switch the main snapped portion.
3:06 switching metro app snapping priority by double-clicking on bar
3:22 you can terminate either metro app by grabbing the top edge of the app and dragging downward.
3:46 double-clicking on metro bar will give priority to the smaller metro app. if the bigger desktop was showing, it will get minimized and show the list of all desktop apps running.
post #475 of 622 Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Liked: 153
Liar, you did not do what you showed us you did. wink.gif
post #476 of 622 Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

That entire video only summarized my entire opinion about Windows 8, that the new UI is all about consumption of data, and cannot be used for anything serious or productive at all. You just cannot do any serious work in Metro. It still doesn't multi-task properly (it just task-switches), and because everything runs full screen, it's actually very off-putting seeing all those screens switching and changing. Running apps in smaller windows is far easier to live with. Besides, if I see that damn tiled interface once more, I think I'm going to vomit.

If you you've got 5 minutes, you might also want to read the comment at the end of this article. It sounds highly likely, and summarizes what could be Microsoft's mantra for Windows 8, and maybe the way MS are taking Windows forward as well. I found it a very interesting read.
post #477 of 622 Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Liked: 153
Then click the desktop icon and boom, you are at the desktop. It is actually easier to do than pushing the power button on the PC you are using.
post #478 of 622 Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you you've got 5 minutes, you might also want to read the comment at the end of this article. It sounds highly likely, and summarizes what could be Microsoft's mantra for Windows 8, and maybe the way MS are taking Windows forward as well. I found it a very interesting read.

I don't spend my life reading things and deciding to accept it as a lemming. I don't need someone to tell me whether something is good or not. I follow my own experiences. There have been times where everyone raved about a product or a movie or whatever and I didn't like it. I'll make up my own mind.

There's no difference between what I did in the video and what you do when you click in another window on a multi-window desktop.

@cybrsage: biggrin.gif
post #479 of 622 Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't spend my life reading things and deciding to accept it as a lemming. I don't need someone to tell me whether something is good or not. I follow my own experiences. There have been times where everyone raved about a product or a movie or whatever and I didn't like it. I'll make up my own mind.
There's no difference between what I did in the video and what you do when you click in another window on a multi-window desktop.
@cybrsage: biggrin.gif

Fine. I'm sure others will find it worth a read. It's not 8 bashing per se, just a very interesting observation on where MS are likely trying to take Windows.
post #480 of 622 Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Oh did I forget to mention that you have to drop to cli just to manage your wireless networks? Lulz. I would love to have sat in that meeting at MS.

"This time we'll really upstage Apple. We'll remove the ability to graphically manage wireless networks, and then call it something suave like 'Windows Eight Auto-Magical WiFi Awesome Enhancement, Powered By Internet Kittens.'

I hear those kitties are popular with the kids. Hashtag relevance yo."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page