Windows 8 - my verdict. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
someone posted a way to get W8 for $15 without a code...

ANyone know ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Wanna hear another funny story?? smile.gif

So, the other day I checked out MSDN and realized Office 2013 is available now. Yipee!! or not.... I set a restore point on my main workstation and proceeded to install Office 2013. Mind you, this is an uber stable, quite fast system (i7 960 based with dual video cards, water cooled, running at 4.4GHz with 16 GB of RAM and Windows 7). It screams and rips literally anything I throw at it, to shreds. This is also my main workstation, so I do lots of video editing, software development, 3d modeling etc on it, so I keep it fully patched, defragged etc etc.

1. Set restore point
2. Install Office 2013.
3. Play with it.

Hmm...this has the whole "Metro" feel with flat border-less Windows and as usual lots of bloatware, i.e. social crap. If I need that, I'll go to crapbook..er..facebook, I don't need that in my enterprise email client. But oh well, let's give them the benefit of doubt. Overall, I had to tweak it a bit to "my" taste....(er, Microsoft, the blue color you have chosen to display new emails, email counts in etc, just doesn't go well on large displays. Take note).

4. Patch Windows again, as it suddenly needed to installed 36 more updates. And then another 14. (uh...50 updates as soon as the product is installed??)
5. Start using it daily.
6. Day 2 - Word crashed on opening a document. No clue why.
7. Day 2 - I thought maybe I was dumb and didn't install Office properly, so uninstalled it, rebooted and reinstalled it.
8. Immediate big banner in Outlook - Your Office is not registered and Outlook will lose most of its functionality in 10 days. Ah, I need to put the product key in again. No sweat.
9. Spent an hour looking for a place to put the product key in. Nada. Zip. Zero. Can't find it. And I'm supposed to be a techie. I suck.
10. An obscure post on Microsoft forums suggested repairing the install. Ok...I can do that...
11. If you run the repair install, it gives you an option to put a new product key in..... REALLY??? SERIOUSLY?? Somebody better get fired at Microsoft.... I grumbled, put my key in and went my merry way...or so I thought.
12. Day 3 - Outlook crashed on replying to a message with attachments. I thought I did something stupid...but nope, crashed every single time on that message.
13. Then it crashed again on another message with NO attachments. Uhhh....
14. While this was going on.....something kept nagging me that my system has been feeling slow ever since.....take a wild guess. I checked everything thrice, even reverted the overclock to stock, defragged three times, checked every single startup service/registry key...you name it. Nope, everything is as it should be, other than......take a wild guess.
15. Uninstalled Office 2013.
16. Hmm....system is snappy again! weird.
17. Reinstalled Office 2013 - System back to sluggishness.
18. Uninstalled Office 2103, reinstalled Office 2010 and screamed some choice cuss words at Microsoft.
19. Opened some good 18 yr old scotch to drown my sorrows.

Microsoft - Get a grip.

You spent an hour looking for the location to put the key in? Come on. It took me 30 seconds to find the spot in Outlook. File¦Office Account. You're making crap up. Office 2013 is rock solid.
jhoff80 likes this.
post #543 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

someone posted a way to get W8 for $15 without a code...

ANyone know ?

It may have been blocked. I was getting asked for the code about half the time. Just changed email addresses each time until it let me upgrade without a key. Just moved a " . " around in my gmail address to get unique addresses. Reports are that it isn't working now.

post #544 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Because everything is merging. Tablets becomes laptops and desktops becomes tablets.

I disagree. Laptops and desktops are certainly converging, but that's because aside from extremely demanding gaming or a few other specialized tasks, laptops are essentially portable versions of desktops. Tablets are primarily media consumption devices, especially with their specialized "apps", most of which are built around media consumption.

Quote:

The new UI is created for this. It works with all input devices. Something the old UI didn't.

It works with "all" input devices in that it's a jack of all trades, master of none.
post #545 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Tablets are primarily media consumption devices, especially with their specialized "apps", most of which are built around media consumption.

Tablets used to be for consumption, Surface Pro is a good example that you can do more with a tablet then just consumtion.
Quote:
It works with "all" input devices in that it's a jack of all trades, master of none.

Not harder to click on a square block with your mouse then it is to click on an icon.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #546 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Surface Pro is a good example that you can do more with a tablet then just consumtion.

True, but it's real potential as a creation device is only reached once you add a keyboard, mouse and close out of the full-screen Start page and use windowed applications on the desktop. Why spend $900 on a tablet to do that when I can spend less than half that on a laptop?

Quote:

Not harder to click on a square block with your mouse then it is to click on an icon.

The interface is cumbersome, unintuitive and quite frankly restrictive. Take the "Charms bar" for example: On the touch screen, you swipe in from the right beze. With a mouse, you stick it in some unlabelled corner. With a trackpad, you swipe from the right, but if you don't swipe in just the right spot, you drag the cursor instead.

Closing an "app" with a mouse? Can't just click "X" in the corner, you have to drag it down and off the screen. The list of interface design and operability fumbles with Metro is far longer than it should be.

Windows 8/Metro might be OK for a tablet, but it needs to be kept far away from tablets and desktops. And let's not forget Microsoft plagued Windows Server with the full screen start menu too...
post #547 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0sic View Post

You spent an hour looking for the location to put the key in? Come on. It took me 30 seconds to find the spot in Outlook. File¦Office Account. You're making crap up. Office 2013 is rock solid.
When was the last time you saw a Microsoft product, where the place to put the Activation key was under File-->"Microsoft Accounts"?
post #548 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

True, but it's real potential as a creation device is only reached once you add a keyboard, mouse and close out of the full-screen Start page and use windowed applications on the desktop. Why spend $900 on a tablet to do that when I can spend less than half that on a laptop?

The price of a certain device have little to do with its capacity. The most important thing is that you can add a mouse, keyboard and external monitor.
Quote:
The interface is cumbersome, unintuitive and quite frankly restrictive. Take the "Charms bar" for example: On the touch screen, you swipe in from the right beze. With a mouse, you stick it in some unlabelled corner. With a trackpad, you swipe from the right, but if you don't swipe in just the right spot, you drag the cursor instead.

Closing an "app" with a mouse? Can't just click "X" in the corner, you have to drag it down and off the screen. The list of interface design and operability fumbles with Metro is far longer than it should be.

Windows 8/Metro might be OK for a tablet, but it needs to be kept far away from tablets and desktops. And let's not forget Microsoft plagued Windows Server with the full screen start menu too...

I have two desktops computers with w8. Its not really cumbersome, its just different from previous windows. Clicking on an x, is not better or worse the dragging it of the screen. Its just different. The upside is that we now can use touch screen monitors to our desktop, and a mouse to our tablet.

post #549 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have two desktops computers with w8. Its not really cumbersome, its just different from previous windows. Clicking on an x, is not better or worse the dragging it of the screen. Its just different. The upside is that we now can use touch screen monitors to our desktop, and a mouse to our tablet.
Seriously?
post #550 of 622 Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Seriously?

Yep, no problem at all. Even better is that you don't have to close it. Just press the windows key.

post #551 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Microsoft admits failure on Windows 8

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. MSFT -0.15% admits the failure of its Windows 8 operating system and is preparing to change key elements this year, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday. The tech firm's head of marketing and finance, Tami Reller, said in an interview with the newspaper that "key aspects" of the operating system will be changed when Microsoft reveals an updated version of the operating system later this year. Analysts compared the U-turn to Coca-Cola Co.'s KO +0.26% New Coke fiasco almost 30 years ago, the report said. Windows 8 was launched in October last year and was called a "bet-the-company" move, seen as a move to compete with Apple's iPad success.
post #552 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

That's one hell of an admission. eek.gif

post #553 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Link?

post #554 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am also wondering what this means for WMC. If M$ is going to be changing Win8 isn't that a new OS whereupon they could drop WMC altogether?

post #555 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Here's the MarketWatch link for what was posted above: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-admits-failure-on-windows-8-2013-05-07
The original story comes from the Financial Times: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/330c8b8e-b66b-11e2-93ba-00144feabdc0.html

Clicking the FT link, you will be greeted with a message saying articles are only available to subscribed members but it allowed me to click through to the article from the front page.
Quote:
I am also wondering what this means for WMC. If M$ is going to be changing Win8 isn't that a new OS whereupon they could drop WMC altogether?
At this point, anything's possible and MS doesn't seem to be giving any clues yet. I've heard some rumors about some of the changes to the OS but they are just that... unsubstantiated rumors that sound more like just wishful thinking.
post #556 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I did find it. Thank you too.. Yeah, just as speculation at this point what will happen with any of Win8.

post #557 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
On the surface this sounds hopeful, but it really isn't. This story is all over the net by now, but MS is still in denial. Their chief marketing person insists “The learning curve is real and needs to be addressed”. The learning curve isn't the problem. I can learn Win 8 in 10 minutes. The problem is after I learn how to use it, I don't want to ever use it again because it's so unintuitive, inefficient and ugly. I can memorize a dozen Win key shortcuts and search for everything I want to run as if I were searching the web. But I don't want to operate my computer that way. I want a point and click option. I want to be able to bypass metro completely. I want to be able to run any program I like on startup. I want dialogs to show some difference between static labels and links. I want a way to organize my apps, not just have a massive list of everything on my PC. None of this is learning curve stuff. It's stuff that's fundamentally broken. And MS still refuses to acknowledge it's broken. They insist that I simply haven't learned how to use their crappy, schizophrenic, illogical OS. I hope they aren't that stupid.
post #558 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I figured you had found it by now. For pure speculation, I don't think they will do away with WMC in the next version but I don't think there will be any significant changes to it. From my observations, WMC seems to be the single driving factor of Pro Pack sales. Businesses certainly aren't flocking to it.
post #559 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

All that is needed is cablecard support outside of WMC and I'd have no reason to bother with it.

post #560 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I wish they would return the X to close the application. When a Metro app is opened, it takes the entire screen...how do you close it? I go back to the desktop and right click on the upper left corner (where the app is hiding) and click close...many steps for what used to be only one click.
post #561 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I wish they would return the X to close the application. When a Metro app is opened, it takes the entire screen...how do you close it? I go back to the desktop and right click on the upper left corner (where the app is hiding) and click close...many steps for what used to be only one click.

You grab the window and drag it to the bottom of the screen. Or you move the mouse to the upper left corner and drag it to the bottom of the screen. No need to go to the desktop unless you have a Start button app interfering with the Metro behavior.

post #562 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/05/07/can-microsoft-really-make-a-u-turn-on-windows-8/

Can Microsoft really make a ‘U-turn’ on Windows 8?
May 7, 2013, 11:09 AM

Several media outlets reported on Tuesday morning that Microsoft was planning large-scale changes to its new Windows 8 operating system, but the software giant will face some notable limitations on what exactly it can do with the software that has so far failed to reverse the slump of slowing PC sales.

The reports on Tuesday were stemming from a blog post and a handful of interviews granted by Tami Reller, the chief marketing and finance officer for the Windows business at Microsoft MSFT -1.15% . In her blog, Reller confirmed that an update called Windows Blue is coming later this year and will allow the company “an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT.” (It’s worth noting that Microsoft said the same thing on its April 18 earnings call.)

Some media outlets took the statements as an admission by the company that Windows 8 has been a failure. The Financial Times wrote that Microsoft was preparing a “U-turn on Windows 8,” as Reller told the paper that “key aspects” of how Windows 8 is used will be changed.

It remains unclear what “key aspects” refers to, but the most significant change that Windows 8 brought to the platform is the Metro interface that is primarily designed for touch-based computing devices. And since all of the major PC makers — and key Microsoft partners — are rolling out more touch-based PCs in the later half of this year, it is highly unlikely that Microsoft can backtrack on this approach. PC sales have slumped significantly because of heavy competition from touch-based mobile devices like tablets, so hardware manufacturers have a strong incentive to get into this market, and Microsoft needs them to succeed for its own platform to succeed.

“With over 300 million PCs in the world and many diverse OEMs, there is enormous coordination required to move to a new operating system, like Windows 8,” wrote Brendan Barnicle of Pacific Crest in a note on Monday. “OEMs are developing new Windows 8 devices, and there are more touch-based applications entering the market, which should help to accelerate Windows 8 deployments.”

With Microsoft’s shares slipping nearly 1% on Tuesday morning, investors don’t seem to be placing much stock in the idea of a major overhaul of Windows 8. The next major milestone will likely be Microsoft’s developers’ conference known as Build 2013, which takes place in San Francisco on June 26-28. There, the company is expected to preview Windows Blue and give more details on its planned launch.

– Dan Gallagher

Follow The Tell blog on Twitter @thetellblog
post #563 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/07/technology/enterprise/windows-8-blue/index.html?iid=HP_LN
Quote:
Windows 8 has been a financially successful but rocky transition for Microsoft. The company said Tuesday that it has no regrets about the major changes it made to Windows, but it is working to fix some of its most glaring mistakes.
Microsoft has sold 100 million Windows 8 licenses since the launch of the completely redesigned operating system in late October 2012. Windows sales were relatively flat last quarter -- no small achievement during a period in which PC sales were in a tailspin.

Still, Microsoft acknowledged that early complaints about Windows 8 are loud and legitimate.
"We need to work to address a real learning curve with Windows 8," said Tami Reller, chief financial officer for Microsoft's Windows division. "That's a big challenge for us."

Many users have found the new operating system difficult to pick up. Some of the top complaints: The lack of the "Start" button that had been around since 1995, hidden menu items and multiple locations for settings.
More than 2,400 different devices now run Windows 8, but many still lack touch capabilities that make the operating system really shine. The Windows 8 device lineup is also scant on smaller tablet options, including the seven-inch and eight-inch varieties popularized by the Apple iPad mini and Amazon Kindle Fire.
Related story: Don't blame Windows 8 for slumping PC sales
Microsoft said it has a plan to address all of those problems. Here's the biggest piece: The company will launch an update to Windows 8, codenamed "Blue," by this year's holiday season. Microsoft was skimpy on details, but rumors include the return of the Start button and changes to make apps easier and more intuitive to use. The company said it will reveal more about that update in the coming weeks.
That's a change from Microsoft's attitude back when Windows 8 first launched.
In October, Microsoft claimed that its users would enjoy the experience of learning a new operating system. The company's market research indicated that customers didn't want to be given too much instruction before diving in, so Microsoft simply told users where the new menus were located and let them figure the rest out on their own.

Oops.

Though some have characterized the forthcoming Windows update as a reversal, Microsoft said it is simply responding to feedback, while sticking to its commitment to modernize its software -- despite the complaints that kind of radical move usually sparks.
"We always reserve the right to get wiser," Reller said in an interview with CNNMoney. "We have to be principled, but we're not going to be stubborn."
Giving users more instruction improves their confidence, even if it's technically not the best way to learn a new operating system, she added.
Some analysts who have been critical of Microsoft's approach to Windows 8 think Blue will be a welcome change.
"If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water it will jump out," said Jeff Kagan, an independent technology analyst. "However, if you drop it in a pot of room-temperature water and turn the heat up, bit by bit, it will eventually cook. You can't change too much, too quickly without customer push-back."

post #564 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This was inevitable. There is a fine line between innovation and utter crap. Guess which one Windows 8 is.
post #565 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I figured you had found it by now. For pure speculation, I don't think they will do away with WMC in the next version but I don't think there will be any significant changes to it. From my observations, WMC seems to be the single driving factor of Pro Pack sales. Businesses certainly aren't flocking to it.

I did not know this. I'd like to read up on that or at least look at some charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

All that is needed is cablecard support outside of WMC and I'd have no reason to bother with it.

Yep. But that doesn't seem to be happening anywhere real fast.

post #566 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I did not know this. I'd like to read up on that or at least look at some charts.
Me too. As I said, it's just pure speculation and observation on my part with no hard data/evidence to back it up.
post #567 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

You are probably right as I don't think that there is widespread corporate support for Win8 at all and the typical home user doesn't need the propack unless they are doing more with it than typical, such as Win8.

post #568 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
So if Blue fixes what most agree is wrong with Win8 (forcing a tablet UI motif on desktops and laptops), this will continue the long line of every other MS Windows release being good, the other being bad.
post #569 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

You are probably right as I don't think that there is widespread corporate support for Win8 at all and the typical home user doesn't need the propack unless they are doing more with it than typical, such as Win8.

Heh, a lot of BigCos are still running XP and trying to get on to Win7 before XP support runs out. There's no way in hell they're tackling Win8 with those UI changes.
post #570 of 622 Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's my reasoning too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

So if Blue fixes what most agree is wrong with Win8 (forcing a tablet UI motif on desktops and laptops), this will continue the long line of every other MS Windows release being good, the other being bad.
I still don't agree that Vista was that bad an OS. The issues surrounding it's launch were actually mild compared to some of the issues that surrounded the launch of XP. XP wasn't "useable" for the majority of it's users (especially corporate) until SP1, after which XP went on to become the best MS OS to that date. And most of the blame should have fallen to third parties in both cases because of failure to provide proper drivers for the change in architecture despite plenty of advanced notice from MS.

Edit: I also can't discount Apple's marketing campaign against Vista. It's probably the most effective marketing campaign against a competitor I've ever seen.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page