post #91 of 160 Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Why would a company such as Arcsoft care if you are using a hacked DLL (provided you do not call in for support) that prevents detection of Cinavia? They met their legal requirements,
Contractual requirements, not legal requirements. Cinavia is not (yet) embedded in the law.

But how do you know that the contractual requirements don't include countermeasures? Clearly the contractual requirements include ongoing countermeasure updates for other parts of bluray DRM like protecting the AACS keys and preventing the bypass of BD+.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 160 Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It would be ludicrous to expect a media player creating company to seek out ways to prevent people from disabling another company's product...but I have seem more ludicrous things already, so who knows.
post #93 of 160 Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I tried to parse this thread but I gave up. I have a simple question: I have backed up all my Blu-rays to ISO using AnyDVD, removing protection.

I use the TMT integrated player in 7MC to play these ISOs.

If I update TMT to the Cinavia-enabled version, will that mean I can no longer play my ISOs because Cinavia will detect the absence of protection, retroactively disabling all my ISOs?
post #94 of 160 Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
The newest TMT will still play all of your ripped ISOs EXCEPT for the ones that have cinavia on them.

How do you know which ones have cinavia? Best bet is probably to google the movie title along with the word cinavia and see if you can find it on one of the many (incomplete) lists of cinavia infected discs.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #95 of 160 Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 192
to add even more confusion to that, only some soundtracks on each disc come with cinavia. so if you speak a foreign language you should be good to go.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #96 of 160 Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

The newest TMT will still play all of your ripped ISOs EXCEPT for the ones that have cinavia on them.
How do you know which ones have cinavia? Best bet is probably to google the movie title along with the word cinavia and see if you can find it on one of the many (incomplete) lists of cinavia infected discs.

Look on the back of the cover, and if you see the Cinavia logo than you can assume that it's copy protected with the protection scheme. It's pretty small and usually at the bottom of the back side of the cover.
post #97 of 160 Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 19
DVD Fab Blog keeps a pretty up to date list of Cinavia titles and audio tracks -
http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html
post #98 of 160 Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Okay, that alleviates my major worry about this Cinavia thing. Somehow I had gotten it into my mind thata a Cinavia enabled player would figure out that an ISO is stripped of protection and refuse to play it.

Skickat från min LT18i via Tapatalk 2
post #99 of 160 Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Nope. Affected is the correct term. Infected means to affect in a contageous manner and Cinavia does not reproduce itself.

It does, it spreads from one studio to another and it's just a continuation of various viruses they put out that mess things up for people who buy their stuff and does nothing to hurt those that don't and made those who pay start becoming VERY fed up with paying for stuff they can't even use conveniently.
post #100 of 160 Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

And people wonder why piracy is such problem . . . . you pay for a crippled product that has severe restrictions on just how you can play it. Ridiculous.

+1

The silly thing is it drives many people to look all over for cracks and they probably end up sending many people into finding all sorts of things they never would have to begin with. Same with the absolutely ridiculous forced audio downsampling. they try to cripple audio on HTPC where you can actually perhaps most effectively hook up equipment that could actually get something extra out of it just to top the, at most, 1 in 10 million people who intended to bus sniff and rip of 24bit, high sample rate movie track.

Part of the problem is you have all these lawyers and MBAs who want to get paid so they come up with all sorts of dumb stuff to justify their pay and the execs just swallow it all right up without a clue.
post #101 of 160 Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think Cinavia is going to impact computer software player sales. Due to Cinavia, I'm going to switch to MPC-HC as my main Bluray player and no longer use TMT5. I don't have 3D, so MPC-HC fits all my needs. Cinavia is really going to hurt if things like AppleTV, iPods, and WDTV devices start incorporating the 'technology'.
post #102 of 160 Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Has anyone had any problems with the new version of TMTE3 making your BD player unusable? Or has no one here installed the latest version with Cinavia yet?

I had a brand new XPS One 27, which was working perfectly, even with AnyDVD HD installed - I installed TMTE3, not knowing about the implentation of Conavia, and my Bluray drive now hangs whenever I insert any disk with BD streams

I uninstalled TMT, then AnyDVD, and even reversed the registry back to a previous time - none of this has resolved the issue, indicating that TMT/Cinavia made a permanent change in the system software somewhere..

Would TMT have tried to modify my BD drive's firmware or driver software??
post #103 of 160 Old 11-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Has anyone had any problems with the new version of TMTE3 making your BD player unusable? Or has no one here installed the latest version with Cinavia yet?
I had a brand new XPS One 27, which was working perfectly, even with AnyDVD HD installed - I installed TMTE3, not knowing about the implentation of Conavia, and my Bluray drive now hangs whenever I insert any disk with BD streams
I uninstalled TMT, then AnyDVD, and even reversed the registry back to a previous time - none of this has resolved the issue, indicating that TMT/Cinavia made a permanent change in the system software somewhere..

It's not TMTE3 that has it it's TMT5. I have the latest TMT5 version installed that supports playing Cinavia copy protected discs. Everything on my HTPC plays just fine protected discs and movies that were ripped to my server. Stop with the crazy speculation. smile.gif Your assumption that TMTE3 has Cinavia is wrong as well your suspicion that it made a permanent change to your system. You have something messed up in your system that has nothing to do with Cinavia becuase it's not in your copy of TMTE3, and it never will be because that version has been deprecated.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but please try to be a little more practical in your trouble shooting. smile.gif
post #104 of 160 Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I think there is some confusion about product names, tool bundles, and abbreviations. ArcSoft's TotalMedia Extreme 3 ( http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-extreme/ ) is a bundle that includes TotalMedia Theatre 5. (IIRC, TME2 came bundled with TMT3 among other items.) Calling something TMTE3 is just causing confusion; there is not a product called totalmedia theatre extreme, and some see the 3 with that abbreviation and think you're talking about the older TotalMedia Theatre 3 which is typically abbreviated TMT3.

Bazinga!

post #105 of 160 Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyboy 
It's not TMTE3 that has it it's TMT5. I have the latest TMT5 version installed that supports playing Cinavia copy protected discs. Everything on my HTPC plays just fine protected discs and movies that were ripped to my server. Stop with the crazy speculation. Your assumption that TMTE3 has Cinavia is wrong as well your suspicion that it made a permanent change to your system. You have something messed up in your system that has nothing to do with Cinavia becuase it's not in your copy of TMTE3, and it never will be because that version has been deprecated.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but please try to be a little more practical in your trouble shooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I think there is some confusion about product names, tool bundles, and abbreviations. ArcSoft's TotalMedia Extreme 3 ( http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-extreme/ ) is a bundle that includes TotalMedia Theatre 5. (IIRC, TME2 came bundled with TMT3 among other items.) Calling something TMTE3 is just causing confusion; there is not a product called totalmedia theatre extreme, and some see the 3 with that abbreviation and think you're talking about the older TotalMedia Theatre 3 which is typically abbreviated TMT3.

Thanks Gorthocar - yes, Teddyboy has gone off half-cocked. TME3 includes TMT5, which does indeed include Cinavia. In another thread, I've been told that there are some other rights management "features" that are installed with TMT5 also, some of which are permanent - so Cinavia may not be the only suspect here.

But I can assure you that the change made to my new system was permanent, and disrupted the operation of the Bluray drive, even after all involved programs were uninstalled.

I have now done a clean install of Windows, using a new drive, and can confirm that the Bluray drive is now working normally again. There is no doubt that installing TME3 on my previously working system, which included AnyDVD prior to the TME3 install, caused the Bluray drive to stop working. This is not speculation on my part. And after the uninstall of TME3, the drive continued to malfunction. Only a fresh install of Windows has fixed the problem. Whatever disruption TME3 caused my system was permanent and was not uninstalled.

I frankly don't understand Teddboys emotional response to this, but it is a fact, not a "guess" on my part.
post #106 of 160 Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I have the version of TMT5 with Cinavia on one of my PCs. My BR Drive works perfectly still. It is an LG Super Multi Blu drive.
post #107 of 160 Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Liked: 10
Have someone found a cure for CInavia Protection yet?
post #108 of 160 Old 12-25-2012, 09:28 AM

No
post #109 of 160 Old 12-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

This cinavia really sucks... I love being able to rip all my dvds and blu rays.. But at some point when I get new blu rays even though I have any dvd i won't be able to watch them since I need an updated player ie powerdvd which will have cinavia... What versions of TMT and Powerdvd did cinavia start?
post #110 of 160 Old 12-25-2012, 02:08 PM

could you theoretically split the audio and video have TMT and or PowerDVD play the video but outsource the audio to another program that's not Cinavia protected to play
post #111 of 160 Old 12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The best way to avoid cinavia is to use a non-licensed player. You lose menus of course (at least java menus). JRiver has a cool new feature where it uses anydvd's disc.inf file to chose the correct movie track.
post #112 of 160 Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Has anyone tried DVDFab's player, which supposedly gives you full BD support without Cinavia?

http://www.dvdfab.com/media-player.htm

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #113 of 160 Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

This cinavia really sucks... I love being able to rip all my dvds and blu rays.. But at some point when I get new blu rays even though I have any dvd i won't be able to watch them since I need an updated player ie powerdvd which will have cinavia... What versions of TMT and Powerdvd did cinavia start?

You just need to use something like AnyDVD HD to stip out the standard protection and create an ISO. You can then use this ISO on the older versions of the commercial players. That is what I am doing.
post #114 of 160 Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Cinavia only affects those yahoos purists who want the 'full BD experience' including all the warnings, previews, menus, etc. (the 'Fluff')...To them I say, go ahead, play the original disk. I personally use MakeMKV to rip 'Movie (with chapters) Only' and use a third party player like MPC-HC or Splash!.
post #115 of 160 Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You just need to use something like AnyDVD HD to stip out the standard protection and create an ISO. You can then use this ISO on the older versions of the commercial players. That is what I am doing.

I do the same right now, the problem is at some point newer blu rays will not play on older players like powerdvd 9, 10 and so on. So when you decide to upgrade to play those newer blu rays (which will have cinavia) you will not be able to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Cinavia only affects those yahoos purists who want the 'full BD experience' including all the warnings, previews, menus, etc. (the 'Fluff')...To them I say, go ahead, play the original disk. I personally use MakeMKV to rip 'Movie (with chapters) Only' and use a third party player like MPC-HC or Splash!.

I don't think this is accurate... And I'm hoping I'm wrong when I say this. Even if you use clown BD or what not to rip just the chapters you will have the cinavia watermark in the audio which will lead to the movie not playing all the way through. Again hope I missed this part since most of the times I rip out the extras anyhow.
post #116 of 160 Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do the same right not, the problem is at some point newer blu rays will not play on older players like powerdvd 9, 10 and so on. So decide to upgrade to play those newer blu rays (which will have cinavia) you will not be able to...
I don't think this is accurate... And I'm hoping I'm wrong when I say this. Even if you use clown BD or what not to rip just the chapters you will have the cinavia watermark in the audio which will lead to the movie not playing all the way through. Again hope I missed this part since most of the times I rip out the extras anyhow.
All of the AACS Licensed commercial players will at some time need to be upgraded or you will eventually find a BD that won't play. This is because part of AACS is the ability to revoke keys, forcing an upgrade. Then they'll probably add the Cinavia detection code. Non-AACS Licensed players, like Splash or MPC-HC don't currently have nor will they ever need Cinavia detection. So, if you can live without the menus and previews and warnings (oh my) then just save your money and patience and use a non-licensed player.
post #117 of 160 Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

All of the AACS Licensed commercial players will at some time need to be upgraded or you will eventually find a BD that won't play. This is because part of AACS is the ability to revoke keys, forcing an upgrade. Then they'll probably add the Cinavia detection code. Non-AACS Licensed players, like Splash or MPC-HC don't currently have nor will they ever need Cinavia detection. So, if you can live without the menus and previews and warnings (oh my) then just save your money and patience and use a non-licensed player.

Yes, I'm sure its those informative previews/warnings that purist love to watch, it has nothing to do with those annoying hours of special features rolleyes.gif
post #118 of 160 Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

I do the same right now, the problem is at some point newer blu rays will not play on older players like powerdvd 9, 10 and so on. So when you decide to upgrade to play those newer blu rays (which will have cinavia) you will not be able to...

What will prevent them from playing?
post #119 of 160 Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

Yes, I'm sure its those informative previews/warnings that purist love to watch, it has nothing to do with those annoying hours of special features rolleyes.gif
Which you can watch from the original disk, or rip to a separate file if there's one you ever want to see twice.
post #120 of 160 Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 192
and also ripping to ISO is basically a requirement for 3D bluray

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page