Editing DVR-MS files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a number of files where I'd like to remove the extra minutes of recording before and after the actual show. I've done some research into ways to do this but most of the results seem to be from 5-8 years ago. What's the current "state of the art" with respect to editing DVR-MS files? This is for a Vista x64 Home Premium machine.

Many of the old results I found on the Web suggest using Windows Movie Maker, but then the reports are that (1) the sound comes off very faint, and (b) you have to change the format to WMV and then Media Center can't find it in your list of recorded programs; instead, you have to add it to the video library.

I also found a number of results for software to remove or skip commercials, but that's not what I'm looking to do. I just want to snip extraneous "footage" at (especially) the tail end of the recording.

Is there a way, today, to edit DVR-MS files that preserves the original sound and video quality AND keeps the files in the original format? I'm willing to pay for commercial software if necessary (up to a point).

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I think Video Redo is the best mpeg editing software I've used. It would be very easy for you to do exactly what you want. You just mark where on the video you want to start the cut and end the cut. It does the rest.

The commercial detection is pretty good. It will allow you to mark off where commercials are and chop those out as well. Works the same as marking the end of the file to cut off.

You can then save it as dvr-ms again with metadata intact or create a video dvd out of it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, that does sound like just what I'm looking for -- thanks!

I went on their website and saw that they have three different versions of Video Redo. Which one do you use?

From the description at the bottom of the product page, it sounds like any of the three will do what I need, but the higher-priced versions will work faster/easier.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the h264 version, mostly just because I want it to work with wtv files and didn't want to screw with converting them to dvr-ms. Some cable companies are also sending some channels compressed with h264 now. This is pretty rare, but is happening. If you used an HD-PVR or Colossus you would need that.

I also like how it allows me to open DVDs directly. I've taking to archiving those at wtv files as well just for simplicity on the extender. You lose no quality.

No matter what you are doing it should happen pretty quickly - you are not planning to recompress/encode anything, just trim part of the video away. Once you define your cut(s) that should take as long to process as copy and pasting the file to a new folder would.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #5 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The software can edit WTV, which is news to me. Is the caption preserved properly?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

i just checked a program i cut commercials from and can confirm the captions are in place.

it really does work great. i typically use it to cut commercials and truncate endings of movies i record from tv. ive made a few dvds (which take a bit longer to encode to fit on a 4gb disc) and they work too.

keep in mind copy once material will not load.

My HTPC front end set up
post #7 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I use the h264 version, mostly just because I want it to work with wtv files and didn't want to screw with converting them to dvr-ms. Some cable companies are also sending some channels compressed with h264 now. This is pretty rare, but is happening. If you used an HD-PVR or Colossus you would need that.
I also like how it allows me to open DVDs directly. I've taking to archiving those at wtv files as well just for simplicity on the extender. You lose no quality.
No matter what you are doing it should happen pretty quickly - you are not planning to recompress/encode anything, just trim part of the video away. Once you define your cut(s) that should take as long to process as copy and pasting the file to a new folder would.

This software does look fantastic. I think I'll start with the basic version and buy my way up if needed.

Thanks very much!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

i just checked a program i cut commercials from and can confirm the captions are in place.
it really does work great. i typically use it to cut commercials and truncate endings of movies i record from tv. ive made a few dvds (which take a bit longer to encode to fit on a 4gb disc) and they work too.
keep in mind copy once material will not load.

Thanks for looking into this. The price seems really high. If you just cut commercials, does it do it very quickly without re-encoding?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

yes.

the commercial cutting feature is called Ad Detective. I think it looks for places where the video goes completely black and marks it off. it will scan the video looking for places to mark, and then if there are two of them within two or three minutes it will mark the entire section to be cut. if it misses something or incorrectly identifies something you can manually mark off where you want it.

there is no encoding done unless you want it to shrink the file. i have saved to both .mpg and .wtv and neither take more than a few minutes to save the cut file.

My HTPC front end set up
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page