Windows 8 Pro with Media Center pack supposedly supports blu-ray playback - BUSTED - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Are you using the same email address? I used 4 different email addresses and gor four different keys. MS saids 5 per house hold. Not sure what that means. Did you try activate the same key on more than one PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Same email address but using different keys. I'll try a different email. Thanks.
post #33 of 36 Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

This is a little off topic, but has anyone requested more than one media center key? I've gotten 3, and all are identical. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

You need to use different emails.
post #34 of 36 Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Thanks everybody. Just got a half dozen different keys. Hopefully won't ever need any of them, just hedging my bets.
post #35 of 36 Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 PM

Liked: 10
This really sucks. A friend of mine just lent me a Blu Ray disc to watch. I never watched one before but my new PC came with a Blu Ray drive and Win8 Pro (well 8.1 now, I upgraded). I did a few quick searches and somehow came up with the notion that I needed the $9.99 "Media Center Pack" so foolish me I went and bought that. After two reboots the software was installed, I eagerly popped in the disc but was greeted with the dreaded "CANNOT PLAY DISC - To play this DVD you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray" error. So I guess that was a waste of $10 bucks and an hour of time. I should have just tried to crack it like everyone else... sheesh.... boo Microsoft you should make this clear on the product page frown.gif
post #36 of 36 Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Liked: 148
They also did not say they would send dancing girls to your home every Thursday night...maybe they should have made this clear on the product page? It would be silly for them to create a list of what the product does not do.
Quote:
What will I receive when I install the Windows 8.1> Media Center Pack?

The Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack adds Windows Media Center and DVD playback functionality to PCs running Windows 8.1 Pro.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/terms-conditions-feature-packs

Windows has never been able to play blurays. Had they added that ability, the EU would have immediately swept in on their favorite ATM (aka Microsoft) and stolen a ton of money from them via the EU's legal system, just like they did when MS added a free graphical web browser to Windows (and therefor kicked off the movement of the masses to the world wide web). With the EU being so money hungry and so hateful of MS, MS would have to have been completely stupid to add that feature. All that said, Win8 can read bluray discs used for data storage purposes. Now that you have WMC, you can play a DVD movie burned onto a bluray disc - just not a bluray movie on one.
gonzo90017 likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page