court ruling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
curious on the boards thoughts on the ruling of dvds no longer can be ripped to hdds. what does this mean for htpcs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
No longer? That's like saying pot's been legal on a fed level...

post #3 of 19 Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Totally misrepresented. It was NOT a court ruling and it did not MAKE it illegal. It was a determination by the Library of Congress on a DMCA exemption request. Here's what I posted in another forum (because don't feel like typing it all again):
Quote:
See page 65276 of http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2012/77fr65260.pdf (17th page of the document. Center column, about a third of the page down.)
Link to document is on the Copyright office website: http://www.copyright.gov/1201/

To be clear, this ruling does not make it illegal to copy DVDs not does it claim to do so. The DCMA makes it illegal to bypass the copy protection in order to make the copy. Copying is legal. Bypassing copy protection to make the copy is illegal.

The Library of Congress is tasked with the job of granting exceptions/exemptions to the DCMA. There was a request for an exemption for the purpose of "space shifting". This ruling simply stated that "proponents failed to establish that the prohibition on circumvention is imposing an adverse impact on noninfringing uses and [LOC] declined to recommend the requested exemptions for space shifting."
post #4 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
doesn't change a thing. That's been around for years.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

curious on the boards thoughts on the ruling of dvds no longer can be ripped to hdds. what does this mean for htpcs

My thoughts are it is rubbish.

I already copied the DVD's I bought and own to my hard drive long ago. What am I supposed to do? Delete it all ??

lmao.

I've been buying DVD's and collecting them since the late 1990's. Advances and changed in technology have made this law idiotic.

If I want to watch the movie I bought and paid for on my smart phone or tablet that does not have a DVD drive- ??? What do I Do?

That's the reason people rip movies to PC. Plus it's nice to play a movie without finding a disc and scratching the disc - versus playback from a home server.

The legit people doing this now are not the enemy of the movie companies. If they press the issue they will just lose more consumers- the last ones left willing to pay the outrageous prices they charge for a new release.

$25 for a bluray now is just too much IMO.

And non of the movie companies offer an adequate program to download and purchase legit high quality digital copies- and build a collection.

I'm more interested in building my collection in this manner these days- I don't need to own more discs.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
This thread comes up every few months. It's troll bait. Stop feeding the trolls.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It has always been illegal to "break" the encryption on DVD's, but generally it has been legal to copy your own copy for "archive" purposes. The point is that if you cant decrypt it, you cant copy it.
And who pays $25 for a Blu Ray? I get almost all of mine from Amazon, or box sets from AmazonUK. If fact I just got both the Jurassic Park Trilogy, and the Lethal Weapon Series, both for $43. cool.gif
post #8 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

This thread comes up every few months. It's troll bait. Stop feeding the trolls.

Bingo
post #9 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The thing to remember is that this only realistically affects file sharers (both seeders and downloaders). In order for them to bust you, they must show evidence of you having committed the crime. If you are only breaking encryption to put the movies on your HDD and it never leaves your house, the only way they can do that is to get your computer. To do this they need a warrant. To get a warrant they need probable cause. To get probable cause they need to have been looking in your windows and watching you do it...something they cannot admit to the judge or in court.

Do not worry, you are safe. The industry really does not care if you copy discs you purchased and then use that copy at home - they are simply ensuring there is one more thing you can be charged with if you share that file with others.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

$25 for a bluray now is just too much IMO.
And non of the movie companies offer an adequate program to download and purchase legit high quality digital copies- and build a collection.
I'm more interested in building my collection in this manner these days- I don't need to own more discs.

Why are blurays so expensive? I used to buy tons of DVDs, but then I'd get them at around $10. Now, it seems as if the blurays are much more expensive, and I can't figure out why. Consequently, I rent first then buy only if I decide I'd watch the movie again.

Bob
post #11 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Why is anybody storing movies anymore? Just let the netflix, itunes, and amazon's of the world maintain large catalogs of movies. The way to lower the price of something is for consumers to be unwilling to buy whatever widget at that price, eventually companies will figure it out and lower the price. Have you been to the movie theater lately, the places are empty. $12 entrance fees $5 sodas $8 popcorn, you take a family of five and the price is outrageous, consumers have basically told the movie theaters NO.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Why are blurays so expensive? I used to buy tons of DVDs, but then I'd get them at around $10. Now, it seems as if the blurays are much more expensive, and I can't figure out why. Consequently, I rent first then buy only if I decide I'd watch the movie again.

I rent from Redbox and then if I decide I want to watch a movie again, normally years later, I'm just going to stream it.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 155
One of the worst thread titles ever. C'mon OP, don't do drive-by trolling with junk like this.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Why is anybody storing movies anymore? Just let the netflix, itunes, and amazon's of the world maintain large catalogs of movies. The way to lower the price of something is for consumers to be unwilling to buy whatever widget at that price, eventually companies will figure it out and lower the price. Have you been to the movie theater lately, the places are empty. $12 entrance fees $5 sodas $8 popcorn, you take a family of five and the price is outrageous, consumers have basically told the movie theaters NO.

I store movies because all of the streaming companies provide a far lower quality movie than what I can buy on BluRay. I can rent, but then I have to wait for the movie. By storing my movies onto HDDs, I sit on my couch and pull up a screen of the movie covers (courtesy of MediaBrowser) and then decide what I want to watch. A few clicks and I am watching the movie on my 106 inch projector screen. No turning my head sideways to read the titles, no handling physical media, no waiting for rentals to arrive, and no low quality streams.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I rent from Redbox and then if I decide I want to watch a movie again, normally years later, I'm just going to stream it.

Bluray versus streaming on a 92 inch screen isn't really an option for me. Streaming has horrible quality. I don't see many movies twice, but I've seen Star Trek 3-4 times. I can't see streaming that versus watching in Bluray.

Bob
post #16 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

Bluray versus streaming on a 92 inch screen isn't really an option for me. Streaming has horrible quality. I don't see many movies twice, but I've seen Star Trek 3-4 times. I can't see streaming that versus watching in Bluray.

92" what is that a projector or one of the new giant LCD's
post #17 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

92" what is that a projector or one of the new giant LCD's

Don't know what he has, but Mits has been selling a 92" DLP Rear Projector for a good while (2011/2012). I have one and I use it with a Lumagen Radiance and a Darbee Darblet. It puts up a very nice image.

Just another blank signature.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

...because those places don't have a lot of my movies which are concert dvds.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Why buy DVD or Blu Rays...no internet, ie internet is down. Doesn't always mean there is a power outage.

The breaking the encryption thing is just a way to keep most people honest and buy the discs. The Blu-DVD combo packs is a way to address people's demand to watch movies on the go with people's car or other portable DVD players.

The movies studios are trying ti figure out how to fill in people's demand for mobile devices--tablet, smartphones, etc--that Netflix and other services can't fill--doesn't have the content, people don't subscribe to the service, or no internet--such as UtlraVoilet. or the digital copy disc that are included. Unfortunately, some people find these cumbersome either because they limit how many devices they allow to put the movie on to or registration/login process. Personally, with the hassles the studies give, it was just easier to use Handbrake to make a digit copy, even if it takes longer to create.

I'm not knocking media studios trying to protect their product from theft. I just realize the law and technology are not moving at the same pace. When this is figured out, like it eventually was for music, there will be something else to having to figure itself with new technology that people's demand and technology and the content creator's trying to save their interest. It's not going away.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page