Please recommend motherboard, graphics card and internal dual tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Sorry in advance for the length of this but thought I would put it all out there.

I have a 4 or 5 year old Gateway GM5632e (specs at: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014739R/1014739Rsp2.shtml) that was very good for its time but has been crashing the last year after I turned it from the “DARK SIDE,” Vista 32 to a Windows 7 64 (flashed the BIOS with DPP3510J.15A.0316. Still don’t know if that is the correct one??? Gateway is not too big on documentation.)

It ran for a couple of years but now days if I sneeze it crashes. I don’t know if it is software, the motherboard (Intel Schroeder Town - G33) or the graphics board (Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT). It has even gone further downhill as I have had no success with a new full clean W7 64 bit install either via DVD or trying to make a bootable USB via ISO using MS Download Tool!!!!

Anyways I have decided to replace both the motherboard and the graphics card, up the memory and then hopefully a clean full install of W7 64 bit.

Here is my situation.

I have maybe 30 windows open at a time (14 IEs, 6 Outlook, 3 Excels, 4 windows explores, etc.). In addition I maybe recording 1 or 2 TV shows with Windows Media Center. I also have a lot of USB devices such as a X10 controller and a Hauppauge 950Q that I pull ClearQAM off my $20 a month hi speed cable for free. I feed the S Video port from my Nvidia to a 20 year old Sony TV which believe it or not gives a picture as good as a new $600 flat screen TV (in my opinion). I think I will ditch the internal tuner as it is old and does not do ClearQAM.

I have a Western Digital Black 1 TB for my system disk and a couple of 640 GBs blues. It would be nice if I could trade a couple of my 500 GBs in towards a bigger meaner WD. Any suggestions? They have apparently suspended there “loyalty” program.

From what I understand my Q6600 is just as good or better (because of heat and un-needed graphics) than any of the “I” processors as I don’t do games and I think I would benefit more to go from 4 GBs to 8 or more GBs of RAM.

Someone recommended that I buy a Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus Socket 775 G41 mATX Intel Motherboard but it seems a little limited, i.e. only 8 GBs, not many USB or Sata slots.

Bottom line:

1. what would you recommend for a new modest but adequate motherboard
2. A graphics card that would support S Video and maybe 2 DVIs
3. If I give up my old TV in favor of a flat screen, what graphics card with at least 2 DVIs
4. Is there a graphics card that would support 2 or more digital TVs?
5. What about an internal dual ClearQAM tuner??
6. Do you think the networks are going to be successful in stripping out the ClearQAM channels?

Thanks so much for your help!

JJ

Regards,

James
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page