Fan speed question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My itx htpc sounds like a jet engine in my livingroom regardless of use.

I tried the "silent" setting for the cpu fan in the bios of my mobo (asus 61-i) but it changed nothing.

My cpu temps are around 55 and the fan RPM is constant around 2800. Task manager shows cpu load at 2-5 % when idle and the fan is still loud????

My cpu is an I3 2100, and i'm using a pico psu 120wide in a habey case. Connected is an ssd and a external usb tv tuner.

I'd like to be able to leave my pc on 24/7 but noise and heat are too much to handle.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Habey case. There's the issue.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...thanks Asassain. Time to look for a new case. Anything similar in size that you can recommend.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

Ok...thanks Asassain. Time to look for a new case. Anything similar in size that you can recommend.

Well, there are other options.

I ripped a hole in the top of mine with a hole saw...

img7409np.jpg
post #5 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I don't know how bad the Habey case is, but 55 Celsius degree even at idle is surely not good.

Controlling the fan speed via ASUS PH61-I BIOS is too crude. For example, you can't specify "CPU upper temperature" nor "CPU fan max duty cycle" (if the CPU temperature reaches the "upper limit", CPU fan will operate at the "max duty cycle", say, 66%). Wiith BIOS, CPU fan will operate at 100% beyond a certain temperature (like 45 Celsius degree), that will be pretty loud.

I recommend SpeedFan to control the fan. Read

SpeedFan: A Guide to Universal Motherboard Fan Control at Silent PC Review
how to launch SpeedFan at Windows startup.

ASUS's own utility (included ASUS AI Suite) may do the same thing (can do, at least with high-end ASUS mb), but I am no sure.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
I was going to suggest simply adding a fan.. to increase airflow. No need since Assassin's picture is worth a thousand words.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I was going to suggest simply adding a fan.. to increase airflow. No need since Assassin's picture is worth a thousand words.

If its one of the smaller Habey's there is no room or place to add a fan. Even if you did the airflow is still abysmal.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually got a family friend who who works with metals to use his waterjet to cut multiple holes in the top of my case. Its the habey 800 so I also added a 40mm evercool fan but it made it even louder so i removed it.

I will try the asus suite first then Speedfan to see how it works.

Why would the cpu be so hot and fan be operating at such a high speed when my cpu is idle showing 2-5%? is there anything i should look for?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Possible reasons are

- The CPU cooler is not seated firmly so that heat from the CPU is not conducted to the cooler well. In this case remove the cooler and reseat it. Intel socket tends to cause this problem.
- Airflow inside the case is bad. Heat (hot air) from the CPU cooler is not exhausted properly outside the case. In this case you have to make the airflow better somehow.

Lowering the max rotation speed of the fan is easy with SpeedFan. If airflow inside the case is bad, lowering max rpm should have no serious negative effect anyway. CPU will shut down automatically when the temperature reaches a certain number (the maximum junction temperature, T Junction-Max, or TJ-Max = 100 Celsius degree for SNB). So your CPU is always safe. smile.gif
post #10 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is the fan a 4 wire PWM fan?

Did you tried to place a cold air/hot air dam inside the case? Here is an example.

Without separating cold and hot air, the fan is just recirculating hot air.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Possible reasons are
- The CPU cooler is not seated firmly so that heat from the CPU is not conducted to the cooler well. In this case remove the cooler and reseat it.
- Airflow inside the case is bad. Heat (hot air) from the CPU cooler is not exhausted properly outside the case. In this case you have to make the airflow better somehow.
Lowering the max rotation speed of the fan is easy with SpeedFan. If airflow inside the case is bad, lowering max rpm should have no serious negative effect anyway. CPU will shut down automatically when the temperature reaches a certain number (the maximum junction temperature, T Junction-Max, or TJ-Max = 100 Celsius degree for SNB). So your CPU is always safe. smile.gif

To piggy back on the CPU cooler, if you applied your own grease vs the stuff that comes already applied to the heatsink (which you should do regardless if you pull and reseat it...it's not ideal to reuse any type of thermal interface material on cpu heatsinks), less is more. More is not better! You actually hurt cooling performance if you put to much on, and it doesnt take much at all. About the size of a small grain of rice and thats it, no more.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked: 16
I would see if you could remove it from the case and just run it in the motherboard box or something similar. That should give you an idea how much the case is contributing to the problem. I'm personally going with renethx's suggestion that your CPU cooler isn't seated properly, since your idle temps are so high. Those coolers can be tricky to get seated properly sometimes. The reason I'm advocating taking it out of the case first since if you end up removing the CPU cooler your going to have to clean it up and get new thermal compound. So I prefer to leave that as a last resort.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I've been busy with work so I haven't had the time to test anything. I found the stock i3 cooler last night so I think I'm gonna take the computer to NCIX and have one if there tech's remove the Silverstone psu and install the stock one. It's running at 2800rpm on a cold start so something is wrong. I will report back once done
post #14 of 19 Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked: 12
also check your power option in the control panel. my fans stay at 100% if i'm in high performance mode. changing to balanced allows them to run slower when temps drop
post #15 of 19 Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all the advice in this thread, it turns out the silverstone fan was the problem. i swapped it out for the stockl intel cooler and its running quiet now i guess i did put too much of the of the thermal grease so i lightly scraped it off the cpu with my fingers and attached the intel cooler. It already has thermal grease applied.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

So its been a week with the intel stock cooler and although its running quiet the temps are still high. 45-50 celsius on idel and 70+ on load.... ie: while streaming a 1080p mkv from server or watching live TV from my HD homerun dual. Sometimes i hear the fan speed increase and slow down randomly. I just bought this Scythe Big Shuriken 2 REV.B so i'm hoping that helps but if not i will look at replacing the case.

My question is, as i stated earlier i got a friend with a waterjet to cut multiple holes all over the top of my habey 800... it looks like one of those m350 cases now. Where it sits is pretty cramped with my cable co's HD box right next to it. Theres about half inch of space at the sides and about an inch and a half at the top. For cosmetic reasons i can't really put it anywhere else.

knowing my space problems will going with an actual m350 or Stardog's Realan E-i5 mini-ITX make any difference?. I dont want to spend the money and the cpu temp problem is due my setup and not the habey. I would normally think this would be so but Assasins first reply to this thread makes me wonder otherwise.

See the pic below

post #17 of 19 Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice? What about Wesena ITX
post #18 of 19 Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 AM

Liked: 14
Tape a piece of paper around the upper part of the intel HSF so that it touches the hole area of the case top. Make sure the paper doesn't extend below the metal part of the HSF. This prevents recirculation warm air back to the fan. 45-50 deg C CPU temp should be acceptable.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I dont have a hole in the top of the case like assassin's. I have multiple holes.. What i did was replaced the intel heatsink with a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B and left the top of the case off. So far so good.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page