BTW What will I have access to on my XBOX360 extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If I have media browser and or XBMC on the HTPC in the basement, when I access my HTPC storage via the xbox360 as an extender, do I still get access to all the skins and all the good stuff. I guess what I am asking is what do I loose if anything using the extender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

If I have media browser and or XBMC on the HTPC in the basement, when I access my HTPC storage via the xbox360 as an extender, do I still get access to all the skins and all the good stuff. I guess what I am asking is what do I loose if anything using the extender.

I'm relatively new to the whole world of MediaBrowser, so this is likely an incomplete answer, but I get great backgrounds/metadata through MediaBrowser on my Xbox.

As for a limitation, BluRay rips, by and large, don't play back well on Xbox 360.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 214
no xbmc

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Extender is specifically designed to use for WMC only. Some of the features, not all, of WMC will be available to Xbox extender.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

MB works fine on the 360, but it won't play ripped (ISO or folder) DVD's or Blu-Rays. There are ways to navigate to the video directly in them and play it (though I found the buffering to be unbearable for Blu-Rays), but its far less than ideal. MKVs won't play either unless you set up the HTPC to stream them properly.

IMO, the XBox is great for Recorded TV, LiveTV and music. It is ok for stored videos. Since quality wasn't a major concern for me where we use our 360 (my wife's art studio), I just converted all my movies to MP4 using Handbrake with a max bitrate of 1500 and stored them in an 'Extender' folder in MediaBrowser. No menus, quality is obviously less, but it works for what the wife wants.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had zero issues streaming .mkv files to my XBox 360. All I had to do was install Sharky's Codec Pack. I was actually stunned at how easy it was, as .mkv files have always been hit-or-miss when trying to play back on my TV via multiple alternate methods. I am currently in the process of converting most of my Blu-Ray rips to menu-less .mkv files now that I've had such great success with them.