Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3571 of 3832 Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I can't tell you how many times whilst troubleshooting my server that I've looked at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108138

As soon as you do, you'll question why you didn't do it a loooooooong time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3832 Old 05-23-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

The 10Gig LAN is optional.

I know. I was being sarcastic.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3573 of 3832 Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Meh.. unless you have SSD arrays for all of your storage 10GbE is a waste of money currently. I have 2Gb on all of my devices, 4Gb on the media server and I can't even come close to saturating that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

With hdd speeds it's pointless. You'd need a scaled raid system with a lot of drives and good controller or SSD based storage for LAN that fast to matter.
Meh, if I was dropping 6k on a NAS, my storage would obviously be all SSD. Then there's also the more reasonable one I linked, which I've crunched the numbers on a few times and nearly ended up purchasing
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

As soon as you do, you'll question why you didn't do it a loooooooong time ago.
Lol, maybe so, but if I can get my server stable maybe I'll drop the thoughts altogether
post #3574 of 3832 Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

Meh, if I was dropping 6k on a NAS, my storage would obviously be all SSD. Then there's also the more reasonable one I linked, which I've crunched the numbers on a few times and nearly ended up purchasing

I was referring to the 10GbE no the NAS itself. The cost of running 10GbE between even just two or three devices is an incredible waste since you'll never be able to utilize it unless you have SSD arrays. Most PC to PC or PC to NAS transfers are topping out around 100MB/s which is easily handled by Gigabit.
Mfusick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3575 of 3832 Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Yes, puzzling indeed. Maybe it's just not my day, but can you tell me how you find the path. The only thing I see in disk management that would let me get an idea is "change drive letter or path" but the only problem is the end is obscured behind ....

I can't resize the window either, very silly problem. Tried manually entering the C:/FlexRAID-Managed-Pool/Class1_0/ folder as well, with no luck

That whole mess is going away in the RAID-F redesign. wink.gif
In the meantime, in a DOS prompt, type: mountvol
This will print out the full mount points.
Mfusick likes this.

Flexible RAID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #3576 of 3832 Old 05-31-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

That whole mess is going away in the RAID-F redesign. wink.gif
In the meantime, in a DOS prompt, type: mountvol
This will print out the full mount points.

How far are you with the development?
post #3577 of 3832 Old 06-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

I'm actually able to replicated Code 10 errors with any combination of firmware/driver released specifically for Windows 8.1/2012 R2. Which would include only P17 and P18. As well as every Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA driver/firmware including the new A10 released a couple weeks ago. I've only tested with H310 so far. Strangely there are combinations that seem to produce Code 10 errors more often than others. The Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA driver and firmware for instance seem to Code 10 almost every reboot while the P17 (Win 8.1) driver and firmware seem to Code 10 about every 15 reboots. At first I thought the firmware had some impact but I don't think it does. I think it's just the new driver they developed for 8.1 that is having the issues.

I haven't been able to generate any Code 10 or RAID port errors using the Win 7 -StorPort driver. Doesn't matter what firmware. P15/P16/P17/P18. And I have mixed and matched firmware/driver. As in P17 firmware with P18 driver as well as matched them appropriately. I'm currently running the P18 firmware and driver.

Quoted Image (Click to show)
E4nzQgK.jpg

A possible official fix to the quoted issue. This was posted on a few forums a couple weeks ago. I didn't see it until now. I haven't tested this either.

A hotfix is available to fix restart problems after you install update rollup 2919355 in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2966870

So while Microsoft took a stance of "it's not our problem", at least they were actually working on a fix behind the scenes.

post #3578 of 3832 Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the head up.
I'll snapshot my system and give it a test run.

post #3579 of 3832 Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

A possible official fix to the quoted issue. This was posted on a few forums a couple weeks ago. I didn't see it until now. I haven't tested this either.

A hotfix is available to fix restart problems after you install update rollup 2919355 in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2966870

So while Microsoft took a stance of "it's not our problem", at least they were actually working on a fix behind the scenes.

Thanks for the post! Tested using the P19 8.1 64 Bit Driver (non storport) and now get the same behaviour as the -storport diver, eg:
- No Code 10's smile.gif
- Quick Startup from Cold Boot (20sec) smile.gif
- Slow Startup from Warm Boot (2:20sec) frown.gif

Nathan
post #3580 of 3832 Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

$279 for Seagate 6TB drives...

Getting closer..

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3581 of 3832 Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Its been about 4 1/2 weeks since my Flexraid server file crash. Re-build is almost finished. I formatted every hard drive in the system and re-installed everything. I feel I have a better install this time because I was able to clear up the issue I was having with no SMART data in Flexraid. This was apparently caused by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver conflicting with something else in my installation. Left the driver out this time and now no issues with SMART data.

Recap: About 60% of my MKV rips (movies and TV shows) all had the audio portion missing/corrupted and at least 50% of my CD FLAC rips were corrupted and unusable. This occurred across every DRU in my pool. (note: all hardware including drives checks out ok) The corrupted files were not recoverable with the pool running or with the drives removed from the pool. Oddly, no other file types were touched. I still can't pin what happened down to any one thing and after re-ripping 588 Blurays, a couple hundred DVDs & 100's of CD's, all for the second time (ughhh), I honestly am bumming and in fear that it might happen again. I've searched the 'net and can't find anything similar to what I experienced. I have thought about every possible cause and considered common links such as file types that were corrupted, programs that accessed the corrupted file types, etc...

Possible causes:
1. I added a new DRU to my pool a few days before my issues. I admit that in my haste, I did not add the drive following the correct procedure steps but, it was working and went through 2 or 3 updates plus 1 validate before the crash.
2. Plex/Plex Server - Only program that accessed ALL of the file types corrupted. I've never found a similar report on the net but again, this was the only program I used that accessed both .MKV and .flac file types.
3. NZBdrone/sabnzbd - Used for TV shows, allowed to re-name files. Doesn't access movies......
4. Jaikoz and/or MusicBrainz - Used to auto correct the naming on my CD rips. Doesn't do anything with MKVs though.......
5. Media Center Master - At one point, months ago, I tried using MCM to fix the naming on all of my movie MKVs.

The only two things I can think of was that the issue was caused by either #1 above or, the extensive renaming of my file names on my server pool. I really don't think Plex or even Flexraid itself caused the corruption issues. Any thoughts? Questions?

Things I learned: 1.) NEVER, EVER think you are safe because your files are stored with some type of RAID; 2.) There is no true backup except for physical media, i.e. original discs; 3.) Rebuilding your server/files SUCKS!; 4.) File server obsession may lead to divorce!!! (J/K, not really)

habe
post #3582 of 3832 Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by habe View Post

Its been about 4 1/2 weeks since my Flexraid server file crash. Re-build is almost finished. I formatted every hard drive in the system and re-installed everything. I feel I have a better install this time because I was able to clear up the issue I was having with no SMART data in Flexraid. This was apparently caused by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver conflicting with something else in my installation. Left the driver out this time and now no issues with SMART data.

Recap: About 60% of my MKV rips (movies and TV shows) all had the audio portion missing/corrupted and at least 50% of my CD FLAC rips were corrupted and unusable. This occurred across every DRU in my pool. (note: all hardware including drives checks out ok) The corrupted files were not recoverable with the pool running or with the drives removed from the pool. Oddly, no other file types were touched. I still can't pin what happened down to any one thing and after re-ripping 588 Blurays, a couple hundred DVDs & 100's of CD's, all for the second time (ughhh), I honestly am bumming and in fear that it might happen again. I've searched the 'net and can't find anything similar to what I experienced. I have thought about every possible cause and considered common links such as file types that were corrupted, programs that accessed the corrupted file types, etc...

Possible causes:
1. I added a new DRU to my pool a few days before my issues. I admit that in my haste, I did not add the drive following the correct procedure steps but, it was working and went through 2 or 3 updates plus 1 validate before the crash.
2. Plex/Plex Server - Only program that accessed ALL of the file types corrupted. I've never found a similar report on the net but again, this was the only program I used that accessed both .MKV and .flac file types.
3. NZBdrone/sabnzbd - Used for TV shows, allowed to re-name files. Doesn't access movies......
4. Jaikoz and/or MusicBrainz - Used to auto correct the naming on my CD rips. Doesn't do anything with MKVs though.......
5. Media Center Master - At one point, months ago, I tried using MCM to fix the naming on all of my movie MKVs.

The only two things I can think of was that the issue was caused by either #1 above or, the extensive renaming of my file names on my server pool. I really don't think Plex or even Flexraid itself caused the corruption issues. Any thoughts? Questions?

Things I learned: 1.) NEVER, EVER think you are safe because your files are stored with some type of RAID; 2.) There is no true backup except for physical media, i.e. original discs; 3.) Rebuilding your server/files SUCKS!; 4.) File server obsession may lead to divorce!!! (J/K, not really)

habe

I haven't read this thread so I am not familiar with your history.  

But, what sort of hardware do you have?  I hope you are using server-grade hardware (supermicro board, ECC RAM, xeon CPU).  To me, flexraid is a solution for someone who wants to store less critical data, and the flexibility to expand the array easily.

If you want the utmost reliability, go zfs (with proper server-grade hardware).  With the amount of data you seem to have however, it would be expensive to do right.

post #3583 of 3832 Old 06-05-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post

I haven't read this thread so I am not familiar with your history.  

But, what sort of hardware do you have?  I hope you are using server-grade hardware (supermicro board, ECC RAM, xeon CPU).  To me, flexraid is a solution for someone who wants to store less critical data, and the flexibility to expand the array easily.

If you want the utmost reliability, go zfs (with proper server-grade hardware).  With the amount of data you seem to have however, it would be expensive to do right.

I have an AsRock Z87 Extreme Pro 4 mobo, 8GB ram and an i5 processor. I went with Flexraid because of its pooling capability and ease of use. Like I said though, I'm not sure what caused the issue but, I don't think it was Flexraid based on the fact that only .mkv & .flac files were corrupted. I had tons of other file types in my pool and NONE of them were touched. For example, I had around a 1000 digital comics stored and not a single one of those was touched. I really believe it was some application I had installed but don't know which.....
post #3584 of 3832 Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah something funky happened there... I would not blame it on flexraid. It's more likely just a coincidence it happened and you were running flexraid. I can't see any logical way flexraid could malfunction and cause that to happen on it's own or due to it's own failure.

-

post #3585 of 3832 Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Yeah something funky happened there... I would not blame it on flexraid. It's more likely just a coincidence it happened and you were running flexraid. I can't see any logical way flexraid could malfunction and cause that to happen on it's own or due to it's own failure.

Yeah, I don't think it was Flexraid. The worst part is, I'll never figure out what caused it and that's going to all have me worrying about the next possible failure......
post #3586 of 3832 Old 06-06-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I want to replace WHS 2011 with Win7 Pro. Can I transfer my Flexraid license to the new OS? Is there anything special that I need to do with Flexraid before making the switch? I planned on stopping the pool and assigning drive letters to the HDDs before wiping the OS SSD.
post #3587 of 3832 Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Is there a way to speed up my flexraid write speeds? When all I am doing is copying a file to and from my array the speed is fine, but if I'm actively working on a file the speed goes horribly downhill. For example, demuxing a file that resides on my flexraid array takes 25 minutes vs 7 minutes on a non flexraid array.
post #3588 of 3832 Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Check LAN speed because if your on RAIDF you shouldn't see a big performance hit to write since parity isn't being done yet. It might be that particular HDD. I tested mine a bunch of times and I can write to my flexraid over LAN at about 100mb/sec FYI

-

post #3589 of 3832 Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Check LAN speed because if your on RAIDF you shouldn't see a big performance hit to write since parity isn't being done yet. It might be that particular HDD. I tested mine a bunch of times and I can write to my flexraid over LAN at about 100mb/sec FYI
I also get about 100 MB/s if I move a file across the lan from a different PC to a Flexraid folder on the server. If I initiate the move or copy of a file from one shared Flexraid folder to another shared Flexraid folder from a remote computer it slows down to 35-45 MB/s.
post #3590 of 3832 Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I also get about 100 MB/s if I move a file across the lan from a different PC to a Flexraid folder on the server. If I initiate the move or copy of a file from one shared Flexraid folder to another shared Flexraid folder from a remote computer it slows down to 35-45 MB/s.

If you write to the same physical drive from which you're reading at the same time, speeds are bound to go down significantly.
post #3591 of 3832 Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have a server built from old Supermicro parts and 2x 2009 era quadcore Xeons with ECC FB DDR2.

It works great but it runs a little bit too hot and loud, mainly because of the RAM.

I want to replace the mobo, processor and RAM with something more modern. The system runs Flexraid, MB Server and is basically a file server that needs to be good at transcoding.

Does not have to be enterprise hardware but Intel NIC(s) and IPMI/AMT would be nice. Suggestions? Can IPMI be added to a consumer mobo?
post #3592 of 3832 Old 06-07-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

An extreme 11 Asrock has my eye smile.gif

You didn't give a price range, but I'd image both consumer or server grade motherboards on modern socket would suffice. You have lots of options. Do you want ECC ram again ?

-

post #3593 of 3832 Old 06-07-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, ECC would be nice but not a requirement. Let's say ~$300 max for mobo, 8G RAM and CPU. This indicates AMD to me...
post #3594 of 3832 Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I will get this:

Should be a great server mobo. Lots of PCIe slots, SATA ports, fan headers, and cheap. :cool:

post #3595 of 3832 Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
This is because of networking not FlexRaid. If you want to move files at full speed, remote in and use your server's operating system to move the files.

post #3596 of 3832 Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM

So the saga continues…….

I finally was at the point where I had my Flexraid server back up and running with all files restored. Because of my previous unsolved file corruption issue, I decided to install a new 3TB drive to my box that will be a separate backup/processing drive for TV shows and music files. My thinking is to eliminate as many programs as possible from having direct access to the files in my server pool. Programs such as NZBdrone (TV shows), Jaikoz and Musicbrainz (music) that access and rename files will only be able access files stored on the backup drive. Once files are processed (renamed, etc), they will be copied over to the Flexraid pool.

Got the new 3TB Seagate drive yesterday, added it to my box, checked Crystal Disc Info and I’ll be damned if one of original 3TB Seagate drives in the pool is now throwing off a “caution” with 2 error codes. They are:

C5 – Current Pending Sector Count: 8
C6 – Uncorrectable Sector Count: 8

I have removed this drive from the pool and Flex is now in the process of restoring the data on to the replacement drive I just bought. Bummer, as this puts back my plans until I can order another 3TB drive.

Questions:

1. What would most of you do with this drive? I assume these errors are just the start….

2. What is your personal experience with RMA’ing a drive to Seagate? I may be wrong but an Uncorrectable Sector Count of 8 may be below their threshold for the drive being bad (Sea Tools and Flex drive mgmt both indicate the drive as “Healthy”, Crystal Disk Info does not….

3. Beating a dead horse here but, pool drives spun up or down? Currently, I leave mine spun up.

Thanks,

habe
post #3597 of 3832 Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would first copy everything off it. Then I would wipe it clean with a total format starting from the initialization as a GPT drive - then I would pound it overnight with a hdd test utility. If it didn't pass I'd RMA it.

RMA can be done on the mfg website. Seagate isn't much trouble to RMA. Use your serial number to set up the exchange then just send it following the instruction they email you with RMA code. It's as painless as such a process can be. You can Print shipping label and all that right from the email they send you. Anything you need to know is explained, there isn't much to it other than entering the serial number and your info and printing it out.

-

post #3598 of 3832 Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I would first copy everything off it. Then I would wipe it clean with a total format starting from the initialization as a GPT drive - then I would pound it overnight with a hdd test utility. If it didn't pass I'd RMA it.

RMA can be done on the mfg website. Seagate isn't much trouble to RMA. Use your serial number to set up the exchange then just send it following the instruction they email you with RMA code. It's as painless as such a process can be. You can Print shipping label and all that right from the email they send you. Anything you need to know is explained, there isn't much to it other than entering the serial number and your info and printing it out.
I already restored the the bad drive in the pool with the new drive I got yesterday (how about that for luck!).

Thanks for the info!!!

Last edited by habe; 06-12-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add
post #3599 of 3832 Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This new format on AVS is a joke. What's all the crap wasted on the right side of the screen?

-

post #3600 of 3832 Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
This new format on AVS is a joke. What's all the crap wasted on the right side of the screen?
User CP > Edit Your Details > Sidebar Enabled = DISABLE

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page