Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 123 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3661 of 3679 Old 07-10-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You are talking about unraid ? Or something more advanced?
Nope. Just Linux software raid on Ubuntu. Using mdadm via command line or disk utility.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3679 Old 07-11-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
I'm Linux noob myself, more a windows guy. It just seems most compatible with all the things I do. I install stuff to my server and use it for more than just feeding movies.
post #3663 of 3679 Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Get two hardware cards, one as a backup, and be done with it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3664 of 3679 Old 07-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 170
post #3665 of 3679 Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUronl View Post
Nope. Just Linux software raid on Ubuntu. Using mdadm via command line or disk utility.
Which type of raid do you run? Flexraid is probably the most popular choice amongst this forum which is quite similar to raid 4 but with the option for multiple parity drives and it runs atop windows

The only thing about a linux server that keeps it from the unwashed masses is that it always seems you have to know *everything* before you can do *anything*

-fstab, don't use /dev/sda, etc remember to use the uuid of each drive, alright now where do I find that, alright now how do I edit the fstab again? Right, vim, wait vim isn't there, ok maybe nano then. That works, how do I save again?
-Ok now I'm going to use mdadm and create a software raid. Which type of raid? Ok I have raid 4 with a parity disk created and my array is online. Let me just add my content. Why can't I share my array? Right, need to go install samba. Ok, now I've shared it, why can't anyone read/write?
-Ok, permissions setup . . . It just keeps on keeping on
-Then come to find out Windows to Windows SMB sharing is lickety split, easily top 80MB/s on lan. Something's fishy with my windows to linux write speeds. What should I do? . . .
-Oh right, nobody updates the open source samba stack anymore so just use nfs. Wait I can't mount and explore nfs or begin to set it up, and there are more permissions which I barely understood the first time around. Ok, then CIFS. . .

Even for someone who knows their way around linux, it's kind of a pain to deal with. Especially for a file server. I like it for an HTPC, a laptop, even a repurposed old desktop, but a server is not easy to manage unless you are truly motivated
post #3666 of 3679 Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Which type of raid do you run? Flexraid is probably the most popular choice amongst this forum which is quite similar to raid 4 but with the option for multiple parity drives and it runs atop windows

The only thing about a linux server that keeps it from the unwashed masses is that it always seems you have to know *everything* before you can do *anything*

-fstab, don't use /dev/sda, etc remember to use the uuid of each drive, alright now where do I find that, alright now how do I edit the fstab again? Right, vim, wait vim isn't there, ok maybe nano then. That works, how do I save again?
-Ok now I'm going to use mdadm and create a software raid. Which type of raid? Ok I have raid 4 with a parity disk created and my array is online. Let me just add my content. Why can't I share my array? Right, need to go install samba. Ok, now I've shared it, why can't anyone read/write?
-Ok, permissions setup . . . It just keeps on keeping on
-Then come to find out Windows to Windows SMB sharing is lickety split, easily top 80MB/s on lan. Something's fishy with my windows to linux write speeds. What should I do? . . .
-Oh right, nobody updates the open source samba stack anymore so just use nfs. Wait I can't mount and explore nfs or begin to set it up, and there are more permissions which I barely understood the first time around. Ok, then CIFS. . .

Even for someone who knows their way around linux, it's kind of a pain to deal with. Especially for a file server. I like it for an HTPC, a laptop, even a repurposed old desktop, but a server is not easy to manage unless you are truly motivated
I have a RAID 5 array, 5x2TB drives. It's dead simple imo, there are many easy tutorials on the Internet.

I can write to it over the network at speeds approaching 900Mbps so it's more than adequate.

Again, I think the ease with which you can recover from any kind of failure is the key benefit. That and cost. You can repurpose old hardware for your NAS that would otherwise collect dust.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #3667 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
This has Mfusick written all over it: http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Rock.../dp/B00C7JNPSQ
I think I might do something different.

I might install the IBM card into my desktop workstation and run 8 drives off it. I am trying to decide if I want to run hardware raid or something else. I'd like some type of drive failure support.

My thinking was move all my TV shows off my server and onto my workstation and just maintain and store those libraries on my PC since they get altered and moved around the most anyways. Movies are much more stagnant.

That would free up about 6TB+ of room for more movies on my server and I would have plenty of space for the rest of the year I think.

Thoughts?

My desktop has a 1000 watt PSU and holds 14HDD's in my case. Someone talk to me about what the IBM card can do ? hows to set it up? I guess I could run FLexraid on my desktop too- but faster hardware raid might be appreciated here. I'm ok with using 8 drives to get 50% space if it is 300% faster.

Thoughts?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3668 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Which IBM card are we talking about?

How do you plan on serving up media from 2 locations? Does your workstation also run 24/7?
post #3669 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Which IBM card are we talking about?

How do you plan on serving up media from 2 locations? Does your workstation also run 24/7?
Yeah I never turn it off. I can serve media from two locations, mb3 server supports this, it even combines locations into single library.

Plex sucks compared to mb3 for that.

It's the IBM 1015 card.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3670 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah with Plex you essentially have to setup two servers and connect to both or run one as a file server and point the main server to it as an additional library.

You mentioned hardware RAID and the M1015 supports RAID 5 but the write performance is terrible. There might be some way to hack cachecade onto it and use that as cache... I'm not really sure. Probably not even worth looking into. Would you run RAID10 or even RAID1?
post #3671 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah I'd run whatever was fast and had some back up or restore capability. The other option would just run JOBD and use Flexraid.

-

post #3672 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Yeah with Plex you essentially have to setup two servers and connect to both or run one as a file server and point the main server to it as an additional library.
This is off topic (rare for this thread, I know), but can someone elaborate on this? I'm trying to set up TV shows for my sister on the main server (WHS 2011), but keep some shows on her pc. I'm using Plex right now, because for some reason MB3 is having trouble playing many mkv files I have, and Plex plays them fine.
post #3673 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
This is off topic (rare for this thread, I know), but can someone elaborate on this? I'm trying to set up TV shows for my sister on the main server (WHS 2011), but keep some shows on her pc. I'm using Plex right now, because for some reason MB3 is having trouble playing many mkv files I have, and Plex plays them fine.
This thread is THE topic. I don't think you can go off topic here anymore.

Is one transcoding and the other isn't?
You could post the MediaInfo output from a troublesome mkv and that would provide some more information.
post #3674 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
This thread is THE topic. I don't think you can go off topic here anymore.

Is one transcoding and the other isn't?
You could post the MediaInfo output from a troublesome mkv and that would provide some more information.
I'm planning on doing that eventually, over in the MB forum. I guess doing it here would really make this off topic.

What I can tell you is, it's not one file, but many. And here's the weird thing: If I play them directly with VLC (over my home network), they play fine. But if I use VLC as an external player to MB Classic, I get this issue! WTF?

Edit: Oops, I didn't see your comment about off topic being the topic. Ha ha, I guess so. I'll try to post that info later.

Last edited by leebo; 07-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #3675 of 3679 Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Well I run both plex and mb3 and I have libraries on two machines but I only run one server. How I do it is I have both my scratch drive on my desktop (9tb) and my flex raid drive on my server (48tb) mapped as network drives on both machines. Then I just add whatever folder I want as a media library or part of a media library on my server inside mb3 server or plex server. Since I'm on LAN it's all good. But if your not local then that wouldn't work.

Mb3 has a feature set that's coming that should allow multiple servers or sharing them.

-

post #3676 of 3679 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You mentioned hardware RAID and the M1015 supports RAID 5 but the write performance is terrible. There might be some way to hack cachecade onto it and use that as cache... I'm not really sure. Probably not even worth looking into. Would you run RAID10 or even RAID1?
So then what should I do ? I currently have plenty of drive bays open in my desktop so my idea was just do some storage on this machine and store all my TV shows and music and pictures on this machine, then just store movies and programs and documents on my server. I also duplicate pictures in a few places usually.

But moving the TV shows would free up space on my server, and having them on my desktop would actually be convenient. I just wonder what solution makes the most sense. I don't need intense back up or recovery but I'd like the realistic expectation if I lost a drive I could restore it. Should I just run Flexraid again on my desktop ? Or something else? I currently have a 9TB RAID 0 array for a scratch disk on this machine. I could make that bigger but RAID 0 isn't all that secure. I'd likely have to buy like 3 more 3TB drives (total of 6) and do a duplicitous raid if I wanted to remain speedy. It might just make sense to add some drives and run JBOD off this IBM card and run a second flexraid array ?

At some point I'll add a second server chassis.

-

post #3677 of 3679 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

6 x 2TB drives in RAID10? 4 x 3TB in RAID10?
The only reason I wouldn't recommend FlexRAID is because being on your workstation you know you'll end up using it in ways you shouldn't use FlexRAID volumes...
post #3678 of 3679 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I could keep my current 9TB RAID 0 scratch disk as it is, and just start adding storage drives into this machine on my IBM card. I would not need to use the FLEXRAID for anything other than storage.

But something else might be better? IDK... that is what I am asking. I can't seem to find anything so perhaps I'll run a second FLEXRAID machine. I could do 8 drives in my COSMOS II for storage and still have room for SSD and my scratch disks.

1 parity, three storage to start. Just keep adding storage drives? Once I get 8 I'd build another Norco style chassis and run it as a slave. I could just cut a small hole in the top of the case and bottom of the other to run the SAS8087 cables.

-

post #3679 of 3679 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I could keep my current 9TB RAID 0 scratch disk as it is, and just start adding storage drives into this machine on my IBM card. I would not need to use the FLEXRAID for anything other than storage.

But something else might be better? IDK... that is what I am asking. I can't seem to find anything so perhaps I'll run a second FLEXRAID machine. I could do 8 drives in my COSMOS II for storage and still have room for SSD and my scratch disks.

1 parity, three storage to start. Just keep adding storage drives? Once I get 8 I'd build another Norco style chassis and run it as a slave. I could just cut a small hole in the top of the case and bottom of the other to run the SAS8087 cables.
Why do you need such a large scratch disc? Wouldn't ssd be a better way of doing it?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Flexraid , Intel Core I5 4670k 3 4ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Intel Core I3 4130 3 4 3 Fclga 1150 Processor Bx80646i34130 , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Asus , Asus Us , Asus Computer , Asus Components , Norco , Asus Computer International Direct , Flexraid Raid F , Seagate , Seagate Hard Drives , Seagate Freeagent Theater 1080p Hd Media Player Stcea201 Rk , Hitachi , Dell , Windows 7 Vista Xp Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver , Hp Oem Window Media Center Mce Pc Remote Control And Infrared Receiver For Windows7 Vista Xp Home Pr , Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desk
Gear in this thread